T Nation

Walk/Run

Im tryin to lose a little bit of bodyfat. Normally I wouuld start running or some other typ of cardio. i have recently been reading that walking will actually burn more fat and preserve more muscle… is this true… any suugestions would be apprecitated

It all depends on intensity. Higher intensity = more calories burned and more fat burned but more potential interference with strength gains. Lower intensity is the opposite.

The type of activity you do is really only minorly important as the intensity and duration really tell you what is going on.

Renegade Training will shed fat fast. Doing a mix of rope work and GPP will do wonders for fat loss in a short amount of time. I hate running, and don’t have the patience or time to go on long walks, so Renegade Training is best for me. It may work for you too!

I can’t remember the name of the article but it was written by John Berardi a few months back. It had some great information on anaerobic conditioning for fat loss. Check it out. Personally, I wouldn’t even think about walking for fat loss unless I was working with an individual that had limitations or restrictions.

The link below is a study on just that. It concludes that walking burns more fat as you state. However, if you walk for 30min you will burn more % of calories from fat but you total calories burned is less. While if you run for 30min, the percentage of fat burned but the total might be more due to total calorie expendeture.
Hope it helps.
www.bioscience.org/ 1998/v3/d/holloszy/d1027.htm

As far as walking goes, I sure see a whole lot of fat people walking around these days. I mean, walking for exercise. My thinking is that if they were running, they might not be so fat. If they were doing something like renegade-style rope work and gpp, they would definitely not be so fat. Whatever you choose as a fat-burning exercise, remember that your body and metabolism will eventually adapt to it. If you have lots of fat to lose, try something until your progress slows, then try something else (and increase the intensity). Keep your body guessing so it doesn’t adapt. If you are already in decent shape and have only a little to lose, you might as well go balls-to-the-wall if you’ve got it in you. The stuff you hear about low intensity cardio burning more fat sounds interesting on the surface, but I think the above posts clarify teh issue nicely.

Rosheem, some interesting points you make, but I’m not sure I agree entirely. My mom at 65 is overweight, but with a fairly advanced case of osteoarthritis, I’d be thrilled if I ever saw her out walking. Unfortunately, exercise really isn’t an option for her.

Not everyone is overweight or obese because of a lack of discipline or because they’re a slob. Sometimes it’s an intolerance to carbohydrates and a lack of understanding as to how to fix their problem. There’s a lot of “experts” out there giving contradictory advice. Nothing makes me sadder than to see an overweight person on a StairMaster, sweating up a storm, trying so hard to lose weight, yet many times making little to no progress.

A tight diet more than any single factor contributes to fat loss. Weight training (anerobic exercise) complements a tight, smart diet, and then cardio (up to a max of 4 times a week, no more than 30 minutes) further supports the process by exercising the aerobic pathway.

But back to the poster’s query, my belief is that once you have your diet right and are keeping a food log, weight training more than cardio will boost your metabolism for a longer period of time (up to 72 hours). Cardio will only boost your metabolism for a few (6, 8, 12?) hours after exercise. And there’s some good science behind this fact. It’s calorically expensive to repair/rebuild/synthesize muscle, thus the “up to 72 hour” boost in metabolism, if you’re providing your body enough of the substrates (i.e., protein) needed to make the repairs.

Select a weight training program that works your larger muscle groups. I’m doing Meltdown with phenominal success; i.e., I’m having to increase my caloric intake because I’m losing weight too quickly. After Meltdown, consider a good 5x5 strenth program like Joel Marion’s “Ripped, Rugged & Dense.”

Yes, you burn a higher percentage of fat at lower heart-rate ranges, but at higher heart-rate ranges you burn a lower percentage of fat, but a higher amount of fat calories. This argument has gone on for a while. Maybe the best of both worlds is to do a combination of lower intensity work (say, 70% of max heart rate) and higher intensity interval training (HITT).

Gotta agree with Nate on this, even if you don’t adopt the renegade style completely, for cardio and coordination do jump rope and GPP.