Walk-Out

Thanks for all the suggetions. I have been working my calves and abs every other day. I know that hasnt made a differance yet. Today we sqautted with bands. So I did the same three step walk out like the video. One back, then side and side. With the straps down on the suit my final set was 365#/2 reps with 120# band tension. I think…I could have gone to 405# for a single, but the guys said it was enough. Also…I switched from my Inzer squat shoes, to Chucks. Thinking that the little heel my be tipping me forward.

This should go without saying, but make sure you’re using the same setup for every set in a squat session. Warmup sets are not warmup sets, they’re practice sets. Focus on them like you would a working set.

That really goes for every set of every movement you train.

Steel Nation - I have been doing more of that. Treating EVERY set, as if its a max attempt. I have noticed the good lifters at the gym do that. 135# squat looks like a 545# squat! I have also started doing that on my bench and deadlift.

I really struggled with my walkout for a long time. I got a new coach and these are some things that helped me.

Walkout every set perfect (master the 3 step walkout). Do this slow and controlled. Walking out is not a race. You shouldn’t look wobbly doing this. Let the weight settle with every step.

Get tight before you lift the bar from the rack. You should be just as tight as when you actually squat. Grab the bar tight, pull it into your traps, take a deep breath, and then tighten your core pushing it into your belt. THEN lift it from the rack. Walk it out, then reset your core and let the weight settle before the first rep.

heavy walkouts never really helped me. heavy is heavy. Just be ready for it.

[quote]GhostOD wrote:
Reading this is making me very, very happy that I don’ have to worry about walking out squats. I almost forget how much of a hassle it is.[/quote]

I seriously hate you.

jk.

I have had the same issue. I walked out and squatted 700 at 206 bodyweight. The hardest part was the walkout and setup. I squat wide too. Yea, I’d say the best bet is to train heavy walkouts.

Sometimes I set up for a squat and let my body get use to the weight. I will walk out stand, sometimes I will lift one foot, then lift the other. So 1 leg gets more weight. let the weight settle. Not with a 1rm of course. Enough to challenge you. 3 rep max should suffice.

Once your body gets use to the weight it will grow and get use to the load. Allowing you to actually squat more in the long run.

Today I worked up to 4sets of 3reps w/405#. But EVERY set I worked the same 3 step walk out, Staying tight. Gripping and pulling the bar into my back. So getting more practice and comfortable with the weight.