T Nation

Wal-Mart in Spanish

http://www.ft.com/cms/s/0/bd371350-0f2c-11de-ba10-0000779fd2ac.html?nclick_check=1

So?

Living in a SMOPEC, I have learned years ago that you do not sell much if expect your customers to speak your language.

[quote]orion wrote:
So?

Living in a SMOPEC, I have learned years ago that you do not sell much if expect your customers to speak your language.

[/quote]

I had no idea that Austria was a member of the Sado-Masochistic Organization of Petroleum Exporting Countries.

(Kichern)

All of the wal-marts here already have signs in both english and spanish.

hey, all the signs in my walmart are in Spanish. What gives?

Why wouldn’t a company want to cater to its customers?

Am I the only nationalist around here?

[quote]jawara wrote:
Am I the only nationalist around here?[/quote]

definitely not.

Wal-Mart puede besar mi asno.

shut up and learn something new. we’re not gonna lose our culture to that of the siesta.

calmate guey…

One thing is for sure, these Wal-Marts will have outstanding lawns.

[quote]jawara wrote:
Am I the only nationalist around here?[/quote]

How does nationalism fit into this?

[quote]malonetd wrote:
jawara wrote:

How does nationalism fit into this?[/quote]

By “nationalist” I think he really meant xenophobe. And no, jawa, you’re not the only one.

Why does having signs in both English and Spanish in the local Wally World scare you so much?

[quote]dk44 wrote:
One thing is for sure, these Wal-Marts will have outstanding lawns. [/quote]

LOL!

And Wal-Marts in war zones become Targets.

[quote]jawara wrote:
http://www.ft.com/cms/s/0/bd371350-0f2c-11de-ba10-0000779fd2ac.html?nclick_check=1[/quote]

If a person can’t speak English and has to shop at Walmart, then I have empathy for the poor slobs. And, as long as the store is in America, the language should be English.

[quote]tme wrote:
malonetd wrote:
jawara wrote:

How does nationalism fit into this?

By “nationalist” I think he really meant xenophobe. And no, jawa, you’re not the only one.

Why does having signs in both English and Spanish in the local Wally World scare you so much?

[/quote]

Adding to possible cost? In Schuylkill county , Pa. we spend a certain amount of money for bilingual ballots. you can’t speak the language, but can vote? The local high school has to have translators due to the increased Hispanic population. there are more students in school which costs more money of course.

Some of these people are illegal aliens and are not contributing to the local tax base, but do benefit from it’s services.

That’s why some people get annoyed. Of course a big company like Walmart probably gets their signs from some printer in a big order and it doesn’t cost them really that much.

Though it do get annoyed for press one for english in the USA on every telephone menu. but then again, it doesn’t really add much cost to say that. The local costs to my taxes in what annoys me.

Skulykill, PA huh where the hell is that? Why not come to FLA or Texas and start all this talk. A bunch of sheltered hillbillies don’t like nuthin different. I mean are’nt all the meth heads up there a bigger problem to worry about.

[quote]tom63 wrote:

Adding to possible cost? In Schuylkill county , Pa. we spend a certain amount of money for bilingual ballots. you can’t speak the language, but can vote? The local high school has to have translators due to the increased Hispanic population. there are more students in school which costs more money of course.

Some of these people are illegal aliens and are not contributing to the local tax base, but do benefit from it’s services.[/quote]

Yes, some are illegal, but probably most aren’t. The language in many ballot issues can be confusing at best, I would hate to have to vote on an important issue that could impact me and only be able to read it in a second language. I don’t think the costs are all that high, I’d rather err on the side of ensuring that people understand what exactly they’re voting on.

And the same for schools. You want to make it so a person can’t get an education and master english until they’ve already mastered english? Does that even make sense? So hire a few teachers who are bilingual, or pay for some to take classes. Learning a second language isn’t the worst thing you can think of.

[quote]Headhunter wrote:
jawara wrote:
http://www.ft.com/cms/s/0/bd371350-0f2c-11de-ba10-0000779fd2ac.html?nclick_check=1

If a person can’t speak English and has to shop at Walmart, then I have empathy for the poor slobs. And, as long as the store is in America, the language should be English.

[/quote]

I agree. I can’t believe the people who live in America for years and yet still refuse to learn English.

As far as Wal-Mart, they’ll do whatever keeps the business alive, but still…

[quote]Headhunter wrote:
jawara wrote:

[/quote]

Markets have spoken, they put them in.