Waking Up Starving

[quote]robertgoulet wrote:
What is if’ing?
[/quote]
intermitent fasting . fast for 16 hour’s, eat for 8 hours .

LOL - is it intravenous feeding or intermittent fasting?

Anyhow, I heard an old lady once say (seriously) that a massive meal before bed stretches your stomach and that’s why you feel hungry.

As I have absolutely no idea about how the stomach actually works, I just raised my eyebrows and then threw a baseball at her head.

But I wonder if there’s ANY snippet of truth in this at all? Probably not.

[quote]Magicpunch wrote:

Anyhow, I heard an old lady once say (seriously) that a massive meal before bed stretches your stomach and that’s why you feel hungry.

As I have absolutely no idea about how the stomach actually works, I just raised my eyebrows and then threw a baseball at her head.

But I wonder if there’s ANY snippet of truth in this at all? Probably not.[/quote]
NO eating a big meal before bed does not stretch your stomach ,it’s a good job you threw the ball at her .
bending over to pick something up whilst on a deserted run down space ship and getting rogered from behind by an alien and inpregnated will ultimatly lead to a swollen stomach just before junior pops out of your belly button and starts trying to eat you and your mates !!!

[quote]lia67 wrote:

[quote]Magicpunch wrote:

But I wonder if there’s ANY snippet of truth in this at all? Probably not.[/quote]
NO eating a big meal before bed does not stretch your stomach ,it’s a good job you threw the ball at her .
bending over to pick something up whilst on a deserted run down space ship and getting rogered from behind by an alien and inpregnated will ultimatly lead to a swollen stomach just before junior pops out of your belly button and starts trying to eat you and your mates !!![/quote]

LOL. What have YOU been eating before going to bed???

[quote]Magicpunch wrote:

[quote]lia67 wrote:

[quote]Magicpunch wrote:

bending over to pick something up whilst on a deserted run down space ship and getting rogered from behind by an alien and inpregnated will ultimatly lead to a swollen stomach just before junior pops out of your belly button and starts trying to eat you and your mates !!![/quote]

LOL. What have YOU been eating before going to bed???[/quote]
seriously my last meal at about 22 30 is yogurt about 300g, egg whites 8, whey 1 scoop ( 25g pro)and a table spoon ground up flax seed .
im on a gaining phase now so my next meal will be at 10 30 in the morning. when im on a fat loss phase my first meal the next day will also be my pwo which will be between 14 00 and 16 00.

So I’m wondering if any of you veterans have tips to combat a ravenous appetite in the middle of the night. Basically these last few weeks i’ve been waking up fairly consistently in the middle of the night absolutely starving. I eat a large meal right before i go to bed too.

I was talking to my buddy, and he said that it’s because i’ve switched my lifting style back to heavy lifts and that I’m eating a shit ton more my testosterone levels have risen. Now i don’t know about all that, but i have been getting more pimples on my back and i’m hornier than usual so idk it’s probably just a coincidence.

anyway before all of you say just eat something and go back to bed you whiny bitch. I already do, but i end up laying in my bed dozing on and off and getting shitty sleep so i just stay up and cook meals. the funny thing is i’m not really that tired, and feel pretty damn energetic after only about four hours of sleep.

My second question is that if i feel great is the lack of sleep hindering my potential gains? I have still managed to steadily gain weight the last two weeks fyi.

[/quote]

Everyone provided some great advice but I’m surprised no one mentioned ZMA as a potential solution.

I am a workaholic and tend to get in 4-6 hours of sleep per night. I supplement with ZMA to improve the quality of my sleep. What I love about ZMA is it tends to pull you into REM (Rapid Eye Movement) a lot faster than with normal sleep. This is the deepest level of the sleep cycle and normally when you start to dream. You will start to notice upon supplementing with it that your dreams will become very vivid and more often (could be a bad thing if you have nightmares lol)

There are a host of other benefits from taking ZMA as well such as possible increased free and total testosterone, increased anabolic-hormone levels, and increased functional strength levels but the best benefit is the sleep I am getting

If you decide to take ZMA you would need to strategically find a way to take it around your bed time. You can not take ZMA with any calcium as it will prevent absorption so one strategy would be to take it about an hour to an hour and a half after dinner. Wait another hour or more then have you pre-bed meal and then sleep.

This may or may not help you extend your sleep duration but you will notice even if you wake up early you’ll wake up REALLY well rested and ready to go.

Good Luck

[quote]The Mighty Stu wrote:
I’ve found that when I eat right before bed (as I always try to do), I always, ALWAYS wake up hungry in the morning. Of course my pre-bed feedings are usually slow proteins and maybe some fats, so I’m eating for a specific reason. What I have heard several times over the years is that having a carb heavy meal before bed will induce a deeper, better sleep. What I would suggest, if bodyfat isn’t an issue for you at the moment, is to maybe throw some carbs in with your evening feedings, and see if it has any effect.

S[/quote]

Q: about carb heavy meals around bedtime? do you have an opinion about carb laden meals limiting GH release during the hours following initially falling asleep (this is the time GH is spiked highest and some research points towards digestion blunting GH levels at that time).

it seems like sustainable calories might trump GH debate, e.g. keeping the body anabolic.

Other notable: Casein proteins are great but make me ultra constipated, is this common w/ anyone else? As a result i usually opt for a beef meal prior to bed, better on my digestive system.

I’ve found that when I eat right before bed (as I always try to do), I always, ALWAYS wake up hungry in the morning. Of course my pre-bed feedings are usually slow proteins and maybe some fats, so I’m eating for a specific reason. What I have heard several times over the years is that having a carb heavy meal before bed will induce a deeper, better sleep. What I would suggest, if bodyfat isn’t an issue for you at the moment, is to maybe throw some carbs in with your evening feedings, and see if it has any effect.

S[/quote]

Q: about carb heavy meals around bedtime? do you have an opinion about carb laden meals limiting GH release during the hours following initially faling asleep (this is the time GH is spiked highest and some research points towards digeston blunting GH levels at that time).

it seems like sustainable calories might trumph GH debate, e.g. keeping the body anabolic.

Other notable: Casein proteins are great but make me ultra constipated, is this common w/ anyone else? As a result i usually opt for a beef meal prior to bed, better on my digestive system.

I like to eat two hours before bed and pop a few ZMA an hour before bed time. If I eat right before bed I’ll wake up often in the night.

[quote]cyruseven75 wrote:

S[/quote]

Q: about carb heavy meals around bedtime? do you have an opinion about carb laden meals limiting GH release during the hours following initially faling asleep (this is the time GH is spiked highest and some research points towards digeston blunting GH levels at that time).

it seems like sustainable calories might trumph GH debate, e.g. keeping the body anabolic.
[/quote]

Personally, I think that there’s always going to be an argument for and against anything. It’s like weighing heavy weights and longer rest periods against lower weights and shorter rest periods. ALLEGEDLY (lol), one approach will allow you to recruit more muscle fibers and potentially get stronger and stimulate more growth in the process, and the other will create a higher GH spike and potentially cause more fat loss and stimulate more growth. So which is it? A while back, Someone asked either Thibs or Berardi (I think!) a question about waking up to down a shake in the middle of the night, and if it was truly necessary for a ‘hard gainer’ (damn I hate that term). The answer was that anything that interrupted sound sleep wasn’t a good thing, and essentially wasn’t really necessary. So,. what’s my thinking about carbs and GH output? Well, if you’re going to sleep better, I’d certainly TRY SOME carbs at night and see what effects are produced. I’m certain that within a couple of hours’ worth of digestion, your GH output will be just fine :slight_smile:

S

sure it isn’t thirst?

So I’m wondering if any of you veterans have tips to combat a ravenous appetite in the middle of the night. Basically these last few weeks i’ve been waking up fairly consistently in the middle of the night absolutely starving. I eat a large meal right before i go to bed too.

I was talking to my buddy, and he said that it’s because i’ve switched my lifting style back to heavy lifts and that I’m eating a shit ton more my testosterone levels have risen. Now i don’t know about all that, but i have been getting more pimples on my back and i’m hornier than usual so idk it’s probably just a coincidence.

anyway before all of you say just eat something and go back to bed you whiny bitch. I already do, but i end up laying in my bed dozing on and off and getting shitty sleep so i just stay up and cook meals. the funny thing is i’m not really that tired, and feel pretty damn energetic after only about four hours of sleep.

My second question is that if i feel great is the lack of sleep hindering my potential gains? I have still managed to steadily gain weight the last two weeks fyi.

[/quote]

OP any improvement?