Waiting Time at Restaurants

The cook was probably a T-Nation member who recognized you. Well done sir, well done.

Did you forget to put down the knives and remove the mask before you went inside?

[quote]theBird wrote:

I even got out of bed extra early to get there just before 8am so that I would have “plenty” of time to order and eat.

[/quote]

There’s your problem. They were probably confused about why an early bird would choose an omlette over a nice juicy plate of worms and were deliberating over whether they got the order wrong.

[quote]kakno wrote:
The cook was probably a T-Nation member who recognized you. Well done sir, well done.[/quote]

This

You’re faaaar more patient than I; I would’ve been gone LOOOOONG before they brought my coffee never mind waiting for the omelette. I might’ve waited 5 minutes … 10 tops … for the coffee, after that forget about it

[quote]theBird wrote:

[quote]Jackie_Jacked wrote:
That’s a pretty poor way to run a business. It’s a wonder they have any. I like good service and if I wasn’t getting it, no matter how good the food was, I wouldn’t go to said place. Hopefully you were able to grab a bite to eat somewhere else before work.[/quote]

Im in a country town… so there isn’t that much choice here at the moment. People here are so stupid. In a country town people are very “clicky”, and tend to follow each other like lemmings. At the moment this cafe is the place to be seen. I used to eat at this cafe all of the time when it first started and they only had a few tables available and no one else used to go there. Obviously they don’t remember me. I won’t be going back again. The place needs to burn.

I stopped by a more predictable cafe before work and got myself a proper coffee and some poached eggs and spinach.

tweet[/quote]

Tis what happens when you have a waitstaff that doesn’t work for tips :).

I am fairly certain you are completely wrong about them not remembering you though. NO ONE has a longer memory than those in the service industry. You said the three regulars got their coffee and were on their way while you waited. So its not the coffee being gone or being short staffed its something to do with you. Don’t know if this makes it better or worse for you personally but its assuredly something personal. They were probably amazed you hung in there that long.

ahh - just eat a bananer while you’re waiting forcryingoutloud, Birdie!

You should not pay for your coffee if they didn’t even notice you left to ask you to pay for your coffee. I’ve done similar even had my meal and walked out. I don’t like to, but come on don’t fuck up my time chasing the waiter around.

[quote]orion wrote:

[quote]Iron Dwarf wrote:

[quote]theBird wrote:
Hi little buddies,…

tweet[/quote]

Pffff. As if you’re the biggest dude around here.
[/quote]

If Prof X ever picks that up… what are we gonna do?

[/quote]

Well, I’m not even the biggest guy around I don’t think and I’m 330. So…

You should have a drink in front of you within a few minutes of sitting down. Not paying for a coffee isnt that bad, especially if were waiting and they never checked if you needed a refill. It’s not like skipping out on an expensive bill, that would be shitty.

If the service sucks, i usually wont leave a tip. Or ill tip whatever small coins i have on me.

Which based on your description it sounds like a “hipster” type of place, which usually means either great service, or some douches who dont give a fuck.

[quote]Aggv wrote:
You should have a drink in front of you within a few minutes of sitting down. Not paying for a coffee isnt that bad, especially if were waiting and they never checked if you needed a refill. It’s not like skipping out on an expensive bill, that would be shitty.

If the service sucks, i usually wont leave a tip. Or ill tip whatever small coins i have on me.

Which based on your description it sounds like a “hipster” type of place, which usually means either great service, or some douches who dont give a fuck. [/quote]

Look at his country. They don’t tip there. The staff makes a significantly higher base minimum wage.

What is the staff’s incentive to give a fuck then?

[quote]Aggv wrote:

What is the staff’s incentive to give a fuck then?[/quote]

Continued employment I guess. I am not a fan of the European(yah yah Aussie but you share that) way but I’d say in my opinion it results in a baseline worse level of service. The customer receives the level of service the employer is ok with being the minimum and nothing more.

Mostly I believe he personally was recognized and for whatever reason someone dislikes him.

[quote]groo wrote:
Mostly I believe he personally was recognized and for whatever reason someone dislikes him.[/quote]

I have been a regular customer, I always pay up, never complain and always grateful for my food. I don’t know many people in town. I have lived here now for about 9 months, although for 3 years I visited town for 2 days a week. I don’t believe I have any enemies here. The only reason I can think of is on a couple of occasions I have asked for an extra egg or 2(which I happily paid for), only for the extra protein. 2 eggs just don’t cut it. Maybe that pissed them off?

On the topic of tipping; no we don’t have tipping here. I might get flamed for this but tipping wouldn’t work in a country with a lot of English ex-pats. Frugal than most.

tweet

[quote]theBird wrote:

[quote]groo wrote:
Mostly I believe he personally was recognized and for whatever reason someone dislikes him.[/quote]

I have been a regular customer, I always pay up, never complain and always grateful for my food. I don’t know many people in town. I have lived here now for about 9 months, although for 3 years I visited town for 2 days a week. I don’t believe I have any enemies here. The only reason I can think of is on a couple of occasions I have asked for an extra egg or 2(which I happily paid for), only for the extra protein. 2 eggs just don’t cut it. Maybe that pissed them off?

On the topic of tipping; no we don’t have tipping here. I might get flamed for this but tipping wouldn’t work in a country with a lot of English ex-pats. Frugal than most.

tweet[/quote]

Tipping has been international for quite some tine now. Gratuities are basically a back-hander for good service. You will never be asked for a tip, you will have to offer it based on your overall ‘experience’ and if you don’t tip, don’t intend to go back again.

If you do, don’t be surprised if they think you’re as tight as a duck’s ass.

[quote]theBird wrote:

[quote]groo wrote:

tweet[/quote]

So every time you’ve been there the service has been at least adequate or perhaps good even. But you have one bad day and you want to firebomb the place(tongue in cheek but still) maybe cut them a bit of slack for one bad day?

I’m betting the Bird tried to eat where he shat.

lol. today I went out to breakfast at this local diner and had my coffee within 1 minute of sitting down.
then I ordered an omelette which arrived around 10 minutes after I ordered it.
I ate it and it was good.
then I went to work happy. :slight_smile:

I believe they were spending all of the time wondering why bird was eating eggs instead of small animals, and if the orders were mixed up.

[quote]groo wrote:

[quote]theBird wrote:

[quote]Jackie_Jacked wrote:
That’s a pretty poor way to run a business. It’s a wonder they have any. I like good service and if I wasn’t getting it, no matter how good the food was, I wouldn’t go to said place. Hopefully you were able to grab a bite to eat somewhere else before work.[/quote]

Im in a country town… so there isn’t that much choice here at the moment. People here are so stupid. In a country town people are very “clicky”, and tend to follow each other like lemmings. At the moment this cafe is the place to be seen. I used to eat at this cafe all of the time when it first started and they only had a few tables available and no one else used to go there. Obviously they don’t remember me. I won’t be going back again. The place needs to burn.

I stopped by a more predictable cafe before work and got myself a proper coffee and some poached eggs and spinach.

tweet[/quote]

Tis what happens when you have a waitstaff that doesn’t work for tips :).

I am fairly certain you are completely wrong about them not remembering you though. NO ONE has a longer memory than those in the service industry. You said the three regulars got their coffee and were on their way while you waited. So its not the coffee being gone or being short staffed its something to do with you. Don’t know if this makes it better or worse for you personally but its assuredly something personal. They were probably amazed you hung in there that long.
[/quote]

Yep. They remember you. Probably had a pool going to see how long you would wait.

Small town, bad service at a place you’ve been before…

They hate you.