T Nation

Waist Line and Muscle Growth

I have a quick question on my waist size i have to buy new clothes because none of my clothes fit anymore I am 5'8 130pounds 8-9%bf now i ultimitly want to get to 140 and keep the same bf. Now my waist right now is 30 and my question is if i gain the lean muscle and keep the same bf with my waist get bigger or stay the same. I cant afford to buy new clothes every time i put on muscle?

Then just stay the same size, really no point in growing.

That really didnt help me out to much.

[quote]Jmar21 wrote:
That really didnt help me out to much.[/quote]

ya, actually it did help you out alot, your just not listening.

If you can not afford to get bigger clothes, and its going to be some excuse then there is no need to get bigger then now is there.

makes sense to me.
where did we loose you?

[quote]Jmar21 wrote:
I have a quick question on my waist size i have to buy new clothes because none of my clothes fit anymore I am 5’8 130pounds 8-9%bf now i ultimitly want to get to 140 and keep the same bf. Now my waist right now is 30 and my question is if i gain the lean muscle and keep the same bf with my waist get bigger or stay the same. I cant afford to buy new clothes every time i put on muscle?[/quote]

Is your ultimate (which means final as in at the very end when you reach your peak) goal really to put on 10lbs and get to 140 @ 8% bf?

If it is that is a pretty weak goal. As a beginner you could go from 130 up to 180+ after 1-2 years (especially as you are 5’8"). Why would you give up precious beginner gains by limiting yourself?

Set a higher target. The easiest way to put on mass is to bulk and lift heavy. Read the stickies on the beginners forum. During a bulk I would go to maybe 17-20% bodyfat before cutting. During the bulk the waist line will probably creep from 30" to 35". But don’t worry it is much easier to lose fat then it is to gain muscle!

Going from 130 to 140 even if it was all fat on your waist would probably only push it from 30" to 31". 130 to 140 is nothing!

READ MORE STUFF ON THE SITE!

You will be surprised how many people on the site have gone from 130lbs to +180lbs. Don’t put yourself down before you even begin!

i think what it is is this.
hes used to being in a 130 pound body.
these people that are used to being so small think that 160 is big
180-190 is down right huge to them

they dont realize how small 150-180 really is for a person of normal height.
I think this is why we see the " I dont want to get too big" comment as often as we do.

just understand that 160 for a lean 130 pounder is a decent goal.
it also is still pretty small.
wait till your used to being over 200 pounds.

I see now if I would drop back down to 200 I would be flat out scrawny looking.

Well technically im not a beginner i have been working out for 5 years and i used to weigh 160 but i cut down i like being ripped more than being big but i just think 130 is a bit t00 small and i think 140 of pure muscle is where i want to be. I just thought i would put this post in beginners section for the reason that it is kinda a silly question but still needed a answer.

[quote]Jmar21 wrote:
Well technically im not a beginner i have been working out for 5 years and i used to weigh 160 but i cut down i like being ripped more than being big but i just think 130 is a bit t00 small and i think 140 of pure muscle is where i want to be. I just thought i would put this post in beginners section for the reason that it is kinda a silly question but still needed a answer.[/quote]

5 years to get down to 130?

nevermind I take back what I said.
stay right where you are with your “ripped before big” mentality.

[quote]Jmar21 wrote:
Well technically im not a beginner i have been working out for 5 years and i used to weigh 160 but i cut down i like being ripped more than being big but i just think 130 is a bit t00 small and i think 140 of pure muscle is where i want to be. I just thought i would put this post in beginners section for the reason that it is kinda a silly question but still needed a answer.[/quote]

140lbs of pure muscle! You mean 140lbs of pure scrawny.

Sorry man but after 5 years you can take some tough love! Get big or GTFO!

[Harsh but true]

It didnt take me 5 years to drop the wight and damn i just wanted some advice on a simple question and all yall are doing is just ridicueling me wtf? Everyone is different!!

[quote]Jmar21 wrote:
It didnt take me 5 years to drop the wight and damn i just wanted some advice on a simple question and all yall are doing is just ridicueling me wtf? Everyone is different!![/quote]

So you really do only want to be 140 @ 8% bf?

Fine I’ll give you a proper answer.

Get an account at fitday.com. Track your calorific in take and weight. Get a week’s worth of reading, where you have neither gained nor lost weight. Average the daily calorific in take. This gives you your baseline daily calorie requirement.

Get that number add 500-700kcal. This shouldn’t lead to too much fat gain. Make sure you get a diet of clean foods. This means meat (and eggs) and green vegetables.

====GET +300g OF PROTEIN A DAY=======
====THIS WILL MAKE A DIFFERENCE======

Try and get at least 250g of protein from meat and whole foods before resorting to protein shakes. Eat at least 5 meals a day with each meal containing 60g of protein.

Now since the goal is hypertrophy you could take on a traditional bodybuilder split:
Day 1: Legs and Shoulders
Day 2: Chest and tri’s
Day 3: Back and Bi’s

Hit the compound movements first and then any isolation work afterwards. Here are some compounds:
Part Compound

Legs - Squats, Stiff leg Deadlift,
Shoulders - Shoulder Press, Behind Neck Press
Chest - Bench Press, Dips
Triceps - Close-grip bench
Back - Deadlift, Weighted Wide-grip Pull-ups, Rows
Biceps - Weighted Chin-ups

There are many other exercises but you can use the search bar to find them. 3-4 exercises per bodypart would be good, so that means 6-8 per workout. Remember you have to hit each exercise HARD or less no growth will occur.

======LIFT BALLS TO THE WALL!=======

Lift the heaviest weights that you can handle of the sets and reps. And try to lift heavier than previous workouts. Your muscles won’t respond unless you challenge them.

If you are doing everything right it shouldn’t take long to hit 140lbs.

Good luck!

EDIT

And to answer the original question if you are 130 @ 8% bf and have a 30" waist. Then go to 140 @ 8% bf so long as the muscle is put on places other than your abs your waist won’t change. You could prob put 5lbs in each leg if you wanted to avoid the waist all together!

[quote]Jmar21 wrote:
It didnt take me 5 years to drop the wight and damn i just wanted some advice on a simple question and all yall are doing is just ridicueling me wtf? Everyone is different!![/quote]

No-one should tell you what your goals are, or should be, but you have to understand, this is a bodybuilding website where the focus is very much on being big and strong.

Most of us can probably not imagine that amount of weight being anything but skinny as hell, and the fact that it’s your ultimate goal and not just an intermediate step is the real kicker.

It doesn’t make any sense, to me, why you wouldn’t want to be 180lbs of “pure muscle”, since that wouldn’t be “too big” for your height - unless too big is showing the slightest amount of muscle - but your goal is your goal, however strange it may seem to the rest of us.

People are likely “ridicueling” you because they feel you are not doing a good job of estimating how other people will view you at your target weight, and not being able to afford the clothes seems like a poor excuse - what happened to the clothes you had when you were 160, and on the journey from 160-130?

Good luck, I guess.

Your waist line should stay relatively the same,you would need to put on a lot of muscle while keeping your BF the same before your waist got bigger.

I have put on 10 lbs since last september and my waist has actually gotten alittle smaller.I have a pair of carhartt work jeans I hadnt wore in a long time because they were to tight and now im wearing them again.

For the record last summer I had lost alot of muscle because of not going to the gym and thats why i was weighing less and have since earned it all back.

This is T-Nation
You are asking for advice only Brad Pitt could give you

Dude,

What I want to know is why you don’t know the answer to this after 5 years of training? You’ve bulked to 160 lbs, cut to a pathetic 130 lbs and you mean to tell us you can’t figure out how to gain a measly 10 lbs and whether or not it’ll impact your friggin’ waistline? C’mon!!! After 5 years you should at least have some semblance of a clue, right?

Well im not saying 140 only but 150 max weight. And i surf alot that is y i dont want to be 180 pounds of muscle. The weight slows you down. And that much muscle i dont think is ment for long term paddling.

And yes i have a clue i just wasnt quite sure if i put on 10-20 pounds with the same bf if my waste size would go up to a 31-32. I just wanted some reasurance.

And truthfully i dont think i could afford the grocery bill if i weighed 180 and ate clean i would be broke. As of right now of eating 2400 cals and clean food is expensive. And i dont do cheat meals.

Well im not saying 140 only but 150 max weight. And i surf alot that is y i dont want to be 180 pounds of muscle. The weight slows you down. And that much muscle i dont think is ment for long term paddling.

And yes i have a clue i just wasnt quite sure if i put on 10-20 pounds with the same bf if my waste size would go up to a 31-32. I just wanted some reasurance.

And truthfully i dont think i could afford the grocery bill if i weighed 180 and ate clean i would be broke. As of right now of eating 2400 cals and clean food is expensive. And i dont do cheat meals.

[quote]Jmar21 wrote:

And truthfully i dont think i could afford the grocery bill if i weighed 180 and ate clean i would be broke. As of right now of eating 2400 cals and clean food is expensive. And i dont do cheat meals.[/quote]

Ok…but you’ve already been past the weight you want to achieve. Did you have to buy bigger pants then?

Either way an additional 10-20 lbs is probably going to make your pants fit somewhat differently–if not in the waist, through the hips and thighs–unless you plan on gaining all of the weight in you upper body.

Have you paid attention at all to what was happening to your body as a result of training for the past 5 years? I guess if you had you wouldn’t be asking such a ridiculous question.

And for the record 130 lbs at 5’8" is skeletal. If you add the full 20 lbs I think the doctors will release you. Your manorexia will be cured. While you won’t look like you work out when you’re fully clothed, when you take your abercrombie shirt off your abz are gonna be sick, bro!

2400 cals is too expensive?!? Try getting that much in before lunch.

I used to hang with a surfer who was about 220 and 6ft. The extra weight didn’t hinder his surfing at all.

When I was I Hawaii I met a few surfers there. Some of the girls were about your size, all of the men were considerably larger than 130. For the native Hawaiians, most of the lean ones were still pretty thick, fuckin’ phenomenal surfers as well.

You just like to make excuses. First it’s new clothes. Then it’s the impact on your surfing. Thirdly, its the cost of all the food.

If you aren’t dedicated to this you will NEVER get big anyway. You might get fat since you’re so good at making excuses, but you will never be big.

So stop wasting everyone’s time by posting ridiculous BS and maybe they’ll stop ridiculing you.

Wrong website.