Waist Decreasing on More Protein?

For the last few days I’ve been eating a high protein diet, relative to my old diet. I’m consuming 1g per pound and I was well below that before. Previously, on a good day I’d get 90 grams of protein in, but I was very inconsistent about even getting that. Now I’m consistently getting around 140 grams.

The weird thing is that I’m trying to bulk and I’m eating about 3000 calories a day, previously consuming 2000, and my waist has gone down an inch from 32 to 31. What’s the explanation for that? I would think my waist would stay the same or if anything get bigger due to the extra calories. Seems counterintuitive.

Calories don’t solely count for weight gain. I’d recommend reading the Nutrition for Newbies articles (use the search function on the site) and well as the Massive Eating (by John Berardi) and Clean Bulking articles use search to find those articles on this site and read them.

They will better equip you to understand why calories/macronutrient ratios/hormones all come into play for weight loss and weight gain. Take this to bank…Weight loss or weight gain is ABSOLUTELY NOT solely a byproduct of calories. Trust me, read the articles.

I will read that article. However, now that I think of it I probably think my waist is smaller, but it probably has to do with the fact that I’m now consuming 6 small meals per day versus 3 big ones so my stomach isn’t sticking out as much.

Proteins are harder for your body to break down, and thus require energy to break them down. This speeds up your metabolism.

Eating 6 smaller meals throughout the day, as opposed to 3 bigger meals will also speed up your metabolism.

Faster metabolism = skinnier waist.

[quote]rrjc5488 wrote:
Proteins are harder for your body to break down, and thus require energy to break them down. This speeds up your metabolism.

Eating 6 smaller meals throughout the day, as opposed to 3 bigger meals will also speed up your metabolism.

Faster metabolism = skinnier waist.[/quote]

My thoughts as well. Comparing two people eating the same calories if one takes in significant amount of protein compared to the other the high protein eater likely burns enough calories to equal a short cardio session, just because of food differences. More people need to understand the power of this and utilize it for size gains while staying lean and fat loss while mantaining/slowly gaining size.

[quote]Digity wrote:
For the last few days I’ve been eating a high protein diet, relative to my old diet. I’m consuming 1g per pound and I was well below that before. Previously, on a good day I’d get 90 grams of protein in, but I was very inconsistent about even getting that. Now I’m consistently getting around 140 grams.

The weird thing is that I’m trying to bulk and I’m eating about 3000 calories a day, previously consuming 2000, and my waist has gone down an inch from 32 to 31. What’s the explanation for that? I would think my waist would stay the same or if anything get bigger due to the extra calories. Seems counterintuitive.[/quote]

I wouldn’t sweat it too much. In the last few month I’ve lost about ~4" off my waist while still staying at 180lbs. Less fat more muscle is always good. With the extra protein you may finally be getting enough for your body to make the same kind of changes I’ve seen.

PeterD

I do like this high protein diet. My mood has been better with this new diet. I think it’s a little too early to jump the gun and say it’s effecting my body composition…we’ll see. However, I use to have the attitude that a high-protein diet was bad for you and just a fad. I’m more on the high-protein bandwagon now. Although, I haven’t adopted any specific diet plan like Atkins, for instance.

Weight gain or loss is a direct result of energy balance.

Energy balance = calorie intake * absorbtion rate - calorie output

Most people forget about the whole absorbtion rate part. Making changes in your meal frequency, macronutrient ratios, carbohydrate timing, etc. will have profound effects on your physiology even at the exact same calorie levels.

[quote]blue9steel wrote:
Weight gain or loss is a direct result of energy balance.

Energy balance = calorie intake * absorbtion rate - calorie output

Most people forget about the whole absorbtion rate part. Making changes in your meal frequency, macronutrient ratios, carbohydrate timing, etc. will have profound effects on your physiology even at the exact same calorie levels.[/quote]

x2, my thoughts exactly

My only issue with the extra protein is the gas and the bad breath issue. I’m actually thinking of cutting back on my protein, because of this. I’m @ 140 g per day (weigh 137 lbs). I’m going to cut back to 100 g per day and see if those symptoms go away.

I hear some people on here doing 2g/lb…how can anyone do that much! Wouldn’t that give you horrible gas and bad breath!? I would only consider that much if I was a professional bodybuilder and I’m far from that.

Never heard of gas or bad breath from protein and never had a problem with it. And my daily intake as anywhere from 215-230g a day.

My weight fluctuates between 193-200 and I regularly take in in excess of 300 grams of protein a day.

No problems here.

[quote]GetSwole wrote:
Never heard of gas or bad breath from protein and never had a problem with it. And my daily intake as anywhere from 215-230g a day.[/quote]

How much do you weigh?

I was taking in around 400-450 grams of protein daily with minimal discomfort or breath problems. I’d make sure you aren’t taking in foods you are allergic to.

189 at the moment, I’ve taken above 300 and still never had a problem, I’ve really never heard of your symptoms. Not saying your crazy or anything I’ve just never heard of it.

Protein can constipate though, when I jacked it up from probably 95-100 grams a day to that 285-300 range (lol decided I was under eating protein so one day I just started massive eating) I had some problems in the bathroom.

After about a week I was fine, then again maybe it wasn’t so much the increase intake as it was the sudden, and very large change in my intake.
I tripled my protein in a day.

I’m having constipation too. The bad breath and farting seem to be common symptoms. You can Google it if you don’t believe me.

I’ll play around with my diet and see what’s causing this, but it would seem to be the protein.

I dont not believe get that out of your head…dear god. I’m not gonna google “protein farts”. Work more fiber through vegetables and maybe a supplement into your diet and that will get everything flowing in the bathroom again.

The gas could also be caused by a cheap, low quality protein powder. That and be sure you get enough protein so things don’t ferment for too long.

I don’t use protein powder. To the best of my knowledge I’m allergic to whey. I just make my own little protein shakes using natural food (milk, milk powder, PB, etc, etc).

I know milk has whey…I think it’s the concentration level that bothers me. If it’s highly concentrated whey I get a bad reaction.