WABDL Bench and Dead Championships

September 20 in Collinsville, IL. Anyone else going? I’m going to compete for the first time in the deadlift. I can pull 470 raw right now, and am contemplating if I should do it with or without a belt.

Further, any advice for someone in regards to their first competition? I’ll post back about my weight in about 2 hours, as I’m going to the gym and will assess than (last week it was 180-183). I’m also toying with asking an experienced lifter in the area if he will help me diet down to 165. Stupid?

How long between weigh in and lifting?

A 15lb water cut’s quite a lot.

Well weigh-ins are from Friday 3pm-9pm, compete saturday. I would be lifting at 4 or 5pm (depending on if I’m in the 165 or 181 weight class).

I’m weighing myself tomorrow to get an accurate measurement. This meet is for first-time competitors, so I don’t think I’m completely out of my league here. Anyone have advice in regards to warm-up?

I plan on lifting at least 500, so what would one of you guys do if warming up to that? Also, how much time in between attempts do you get? 2 minutes?

[quote]dreads989 wrote:
Well weigh-ins are from Friday 3pm-9pm, compete saturday. I would be lifting at 4 or 5pm (depending on if I’m in the 165 or 181 weight class).

I’m weighing myself tomorrow to get an accurate measurement. This meet is for first-time competitors, so I don’t think I’m completely out of my league here. Anyone have advice in regards to warm-up?

I plan on lifting at least 500, so what would one of you guys do if warming up to that? Also, how much time in between attempts do you get? 2 minutes?[/quote]

I would tell you not to bother trying to cut the weight, but if I was in your position I’d probably end up trying it anyway!!! If I knew I wasn’t going to make it on Thursday night or Friday morning I’d cut my losses there and start the re-feed.

I think in Kilo’s so you’ll have to work it back, but here’s what I’d do… (500lb = 227.5kg)

60kg 2x5
100kg x3
140kg x2
160kg x1
180kg x1
200kg x1 - opening attempt
215-220kg x1 - second
227.5kg x1 - third

As for time between attempts… depends how many lifters are in the flight. Generally 60-90 seconds per lifter, then you’ve an exta 60 seconds from when you’re called to when you have to start the lift.

[quote]Hanley wrote:
dreads989 wrote:

I’m weighing myself tomorrow to get an accurate measurement. This meet is for first-time competitors, so I don’t think I’m completely out of my league here.

Anyone have advice in regards to warm-up? I plan on lifting at least 500, so what would one of you guys do if warming up to that? Also, how much time in between attempts do you get? 2 minutes?

I would tell you not to bother trying to cut the weight, but if I was in your position I’d probably end up trying it anyway!!! If I knew I wasn’t going to make it on Thursday night or Friday morning I’d cut my losses there and start the re-feed.

I think in Kilo’s so you’ll have to work it back, but here’s what I’d do… (500lb = 227.5kg)

60kg 2x5
100kg x3
140kg x2
160kg x1
180kg x1
200kg x1 - opening attempt
215-220kg x1 - second
227.5kg x1 - third

As for time between attempts… depends how many lifters are in the flight. Generally 60-90 seconds per lifter, then you’ve an exta 60 seconds from when you’re called to when you have to start the lift.[/quote]

Alrite, I’ll gauge it off how much I weigh tomorrow. I’m real tempted to attempt to get down to make 165, but I don’t want to compromise my lift.

Thanks for the warm-up suggestion, I may borrow that! Ok, 60-90 secondes is awesome…I was worried that it would be 60 seconds tops (which it still could be). In regards to training, am I better off doing speed pulls with 225 the week before the comp, or just work with 80% of my max?

I would NOT try and cut that much weight. Just go 181 and think about getting your PR. As for warmups I personally believe that opening light is the key.Back when I did my first 500 I was 198 and this what my attempts were.

135 x6
225 x4
315 x2
385 x1 suit
440 x1 1st attempt
470 x1 2nd attempt
501 x1 3rd attempt

generally 30-45 pounds between attempts is ideal, depending

When I pulled my 600 I went 512,550,600 but I wanted to smoke my opener and have a lot in the tank for my 600. Hope this helps

have you been dieting down for the past month or so to try to get down to 181 and this be your last ditch effort to hit it or do you just do whatever and weigh in at 180 full bellied and decided to get down? If you just weigh that one any one day, you could get down to it, but the last couple days would most likely mimic the few days before a big wrestling match. I sit at 160 now just stepping on the scale and i dont even think about competing 148 anymore. I guess you could go 165 and see how you feel the day of the comp. Use it as an experiement. If your still feeling strong and pulling big dieted to 165, stick with that. If not, your average weight is still under 181. Hope this helps

My first meet I cut from 198 to 181. I used the ideas from this article…

http://www.elitefts.com/documents/making_weight.htm

14 days out I began by cleaning up my diet. Cut back on fats, cut out dairy, cut back on carbs after 2pm (except postworkout). I added in 15 mins of light cardio 4 days per week separate from my workouts.

7 days out a made sure to get 2 gallons of water per day.

12 hours before weigh-in a had my last glass of water until after weigh-in. That night I finished the day with 30 mins of cardio to sweat a little. I weighed 187 leaving the gym.

Morning of weigh-in I was 183, got in 20 more mins of light cardio, even started spitting just to make sure.

Weighed in at 180.5 and made my way to Village Inn for a refeed.

Got back up to 189 for meet time Sat. morning.

I’d go in there at my walking around weight for my first meet. You’ve never cut and don’t know what it will do to your strength. It’s your first meet, go have fun and get white lights. Just make that first pull is something you can do for 4 reps without even trying…consider it your last warm up.

Thanks everyone for all of the tips. Unfortunately, and I PMed this to Hanley and BigPull b/c I thought this thread died, my ride pussed out. I was about to mail in everything, but was told that he couldn’t take me anymore.

I will keep all of this in mind, and the next time a comp comes up soon in my area (St. Louis) I’ll keep you all posted.

Well fuck me sideways, the freaking MEET DIRECTOR gave me a call and told me that if I could get a ride over, he would find me a ride back. How kick-ass is this? The only catch is that I have to weigh in Saturday morning, right before the comp since I can’t make it Friday.

My weight’s at 184 right now, and I really want to continue to add some size, so I think I’ll just lift in the 198 weight class. I know that I could probably cut breakfast and stop drinking water the day before and make it, but for a first meet I don’t want to risk it. MahWah, Hara, and Pipes, thanks for your suggestions. Next time I compete and actually have a dpendable ride, and long-term plan, I will use your suggestions for making weight. I’ll keep you all informed!

I’ll be there, since I’m part of the team that’s hosting it (UIllinois). I was going to offer a ride, but it looks like you’ve arranged one, so that’s cool. It should be a great meet.

It’s put on by John Hudson, who founded our club here and is a great guy. If he’s not too busy judging, you couldn’t do wrong by having a chat with him. I think Gus Rethwisch should be there too - he’s the founder of WABDL and is a massive man. He’s got a lot of good stories too :slight_smile:

Feel free to introduce yourself (I’ll be the 259lb guy with a beard in the Illini Powerlifting shirt) and good luck!

Oh, and I wouldn’t be concerned with adding more muscle right now. At a week and a half out, you should be peaking your lifts in the next few days and then taking it fairly easy next week. That’s my opinion, at least.