T Nation

VT Killers Video

Who here thinks the videos this asshole made should not have been shown on TV?

Why did they give this guy exactly what he wanted? Bunch of media vultures.

They wouldn’t do it if it wasn’t the ratings they got from it.

They’re only giving the public what it wants. If they don’t, the other network will. Economically, they have no choice.

[quote]Zap Branigan wrote:

Why did they give this guy exactly what he wanted?

Bunch of media vultures.[/quote]

I think it does more harm than good to air it, but there’s no way the talking heads wouldn’t show it. The media is glorifying this whacko by giving him so much attention. I think it is also a slap in the face of the victims’ families that this jackass is getting all of the publicity while most of the victims are getting no press.

They keep calling his rants a manifesto when they are really just the ravings of a lunatic. There is no message in what he’s saying.

Unfortunately, I think this just ups the ante for the next mass shooting. The media has created a Guinness Book of Records of massacres, so to speak.

DB

[quote]Zap Branigan wrote:

Why did they give this guy exactly what he wanted?

Bunch of media vultures.[/quote]

Sounds like you answered your own question. Anyway he’ll have a hard time appreciating it while roasting in hell.

There used to be a time when the media respected certain protocols more readily, like not releasing media that would encourage or aid the enemy in a time of war, or respecting the families of the victims enough not to subject them to further needless trauma.

That all seems to have changed. There’s little respect for anyone and, if the trend continues, it is probably only a matter of time before we start seeing footage of actual beheadings and shootings such as this, real people dying, their mangled bodies, whatever furthers the station’s political agenda or provides a couple points more market share over the competition

I hope I am given more dignity when I go, and, if I am ever murdered, that my own killer is not so glorified, even as a spectacle.

[quote]dollarbill44 wrote:

They keep calling his rants a manifesto when they are really just the ravings of a lunatic. There is no message in what he’s saying.

DB[/quote]

Yup. Just blind, frothing at the mouth rage at someonething that he doesn’t even seem capable of clearly identifying for himself. Calling him a lunatic is granting him too much credit. He was just evil. Composed of rage.

[quote]pookie wrote:
They wouldn’t do it if it wasn’t the ratings they got from it.

They’re only giving the public what it wants. If they don’t, the other network will. Economically, they have no choice.
[/quote]

Alas. Got to think about the shareholders.
I remember seeing an interview with a chinese director once. I don’t remember who it was. They talked about censorship, and he said that the western world had it’s own system of censorship that was based on economical interests. Well, in this Virginia case censorship is lacking, because the videos bring in money. They bring in money because he is a famous person, I suppose.

I gotta admit, I was curious.