T Nation

VP Debate Predictions

I think this one is going to much more entertaining. How could it not be with Loose Cannon vs. Cannon Fodder?

I think Palin is going to be a disaster and Biden is likely to make enough foot-in-mouth comments to fill a full arsenal of republican adds for the rest of the campaign.

This post was flagged by the community and is temporarily hidden.

If the race were between Palin and Obama I’d vote for Palin, but she isn’t ready for this.

The bottom line is Biden is a walking cyclopedic index of information, wrong information, but information nonetheless. That will be all it will take to convince the public that he’s better than she is.

People know almost nothing about almost anything that will come up in this debate just like they always don’t so whoever appears the most informed automatically also appears more competent which isn’t the case depending on how you define competent, but that’s how it will appear.

On the other hand if Biden beats up on her in an arrogant condescending manner it could mitigate that.

I’m sure his handlers are pounding him about that.

She cannot be prepped for this. They’d be better off if they let her just be herself and the ride the strength of her character rather than attempt to put her on Biden’s knowledge level.

[quote]Mick28 wrote:
dhickey wrote:
I think this one is going to much more entertaining. How could it not be with Loose Cannon vs. Cannon Fodder?

I think Palin is going to be a disaster and Biden is likely to make enough foot-in-mouth comments to fill a full arsenal of republican adds for the rest of the campaign.

I predict that the debate will not be over for even 1:00 and the mainstream liberal media will be declaring Palin the loser…Okay that was easy. Next question?

[/quote]

Do you make any posts that don’t include the phrase “liberal media?”

Find a new excuse. Seriously.

[quote]Mick28 wrote:
I predict that the debate will not be over for even 1:00 and the mainstream liberal media will be declaring Palin the loser…Okay that was easy. Next question?

[/quote]

I agree. All the efforts by the media to portray Palin as some arihead bimbo had so far paid off pretty well. SNL just did another Tina Fey as Palin skit that was pretty harsh.

Most people watching the debate have already made up their mind that Palin is some empty head pretty face bimbo, thanks to the liberal media.

[quote]Tiribulus wrote:
If the race were between Palin and Obama I’d vote for Palin, but she isn’t ready for this. [/quote]

Jeez, with the way the Obama campaign has been hammering away at her, I thought it WAS a race between Obama and Palin.

I agree. It’s not what you say, but how well you say it. Obama is prime example of being incredibly good at saying nothing at all.

[quote]skaz05 wrote:
<<< Most people watching the debate have already made up their mind that Palin is some empty head pretty face bimbo, thanks to the liberal media.[/quote]

Anything that works to lower expectations of her works to her favor.

I just hope Biden doesn’t let out a “young lady.”

[quote]skaz05 wrote:
Jeez, with the way the Obama campaign has been hammering away at her, I thought it WAS a race between Obama and Palin.
[/quote]

They’re using a “McCain will die in a year or two” tactic. Wait, or is that a stragety?

[quote]skaz05 wrote:

I agree. All the efforts by the media to portray Palin as some arihead bimbo had so far paid off pretty well. SNL just did another Tina Fey as Palin skit that was pretty harsh.
[/quote]

This is a shame. People look to SNL and John Stewart for their political views and information.

I won’t defend that Palin is the most knowledgable foreign policy person in the world. However, people grossly underestimate what it takes to run a state, even one with the population of Alaska. She does have more executive experience than anyone running, and what Alaska lacks in people, it more than makes up for in strategic importance (proximity to Russia, natural resources, etc.)

The subtlety that’s lost on folks who criticize her ‘small town-ness’ is again class and cultural warfare. We see it here in my state where the northern part is forest, small town, and rural, and the southern quarter is an extension of Boston. It’s like night and day, and the apparent bigotry of the urban imports is noticeable in conversation and in policy. Those of us who are active in landowners rights and some other hot-buttom issues here refer to it as “rural cleansing”.

One other thing to remember-- Reagan, arguably the greatest President of his century (agree with him or not), came into the Whitehouse with absolutely no foreign policy experience, and he pretty much sank the USSR. Maybe that argument cancels out the hit against Obama on inexperience, but Palin is more ‘Reagan-esque’ where Obama is more ‘Carter-esque’.

I don’t have any lack of confidence Palin’s intelligence or commitment to a task when called upon, or her innate judgment for that matter.

In other words none of this bothers me as much as the possibility of an enemy in the highest office of the land.

Anything or anybody (almost) that keeps Obiden away from 1600 Pennsylvania Avenue gets my vote.

None of what’s transpired tells anybody anything useful about her beyond the fact that she’s had less time to memorize stuff than Obama and I trust her vision for this country one million times more than his.

I think Palin is an idiot. Not because of SNL (though I did laugh at the skit) but because of the Couric interview. Come on people… that shit was painful.

She was a very risky pick, and I think that she isn’t going to pay off as much as the GOP and McCain thought she would. She’s just… too dumb. She may have some character strength going for her, but to be honest, she speaks likes she’s never even HEARD of half the issues!

If Palin were to step down today, and someone else were to step up, I might actually be convinced to vote McCain instead of Kermit/Snarff or some random third-party, as is my current polling day plan. There’s pandering to the Christian right, and then their putting someone COMPLETELY unqualified up for the vote.

Obama may be just as inexperienced, but even you guys can admit he’s INTELLIGENT. I may completely disagree with him a good 90% of the time (I like the way he views the trouble in Pakistan… that’s about it) but he still comes off as a Harvard educated, upstanding guy.

Palin… not so much.

As far as the debate goes, Biden WILL put his foot in his mouth, and young Liberal voters WILL love him for it. They see them as hilarious attacks, not gaffs that will hurt Obama in the swing states.

However, Palin is JUST AS LIKELY to say something absolutely uninformed, wrong, or bigoted, which will hurt McCain immensely with swing voters, and porbably women as well.

[quote]dhickey wrote:
I think this one is going to much more entertaining. How could it not be with Loose Cannon vs. Cannon Fodder?

I think Palin is going to be a disaster and Biden is likely to make enough foot-in-mouth comments to fill a full arsenal of republican adds for the rest of the campaign.[/quote]

Exactly.

Biden’s foreign policy experience is a clusterfuck. He has been on the wrong side of every issue. Hopefully she can point that out.

I’ll be praying in a nearby chapel.

This post was flagged by the community and is temporarily hidden.

This post was flagged by the community and is temporarily hidden.

This post was flagged by the community and is temporarily hidden.

[quote]Mick28 wrote:

I don’think Obama is a dumb guy, that was never my contention. What I’ve always said is that he’s never had to sit down to a hostile press in general. Every time Palin sits down to an interview she has to be prepared for the “gotcha question”.

Now I won’t say that the press has not pursued Obama. He’s had to beat off the press to keep them off of his dick as they enjoy sucking it. But other than that I don’t think he’s had much trouble with them.

When he does make an error such as claiming that there are 57 states, we have to hear it from talk radio because the mainstream liberal media doesn’t like talking about things like that.

Besides when he said that he was tired from campaiging so hard…You understand? When he doesn’t have his teleprompter and he’s stammering like a punch drunk fighter…he’s…well he’s just so intelligent all of those thoughts are coming to the forefront at once…Yea…yea…that’s it.

It’s almost like he’s the favored student who can do no wrong. Remember those types in class? If you do something wrong you’re an idiot. If the charmer does something similar he’s just having an off day…

Make no mistake about it, the press loves him and they will get him elected if at all possible.

[/quote]
The questions Palin has got are fair, but she’s so clueless any question is a “gotcha”. Obama’s answered questions about Rezko, Ayers, and Wright over the last two years, I don’t think there is much journalistic value in continuing to ask him to repeat answers he’s given before.

The only people who would consider Obama saying there are 57 state newsworthy would be right wing talk radio. Do you want a 60 Minutes special debunking Obama’s claim by proving there are 50?

Being successful with foreign policy has more to do with one’s values and philosophy. If one has the right philosophy then they can handle foreign policy just fine with the right advisors around them.

Hence the success of Ronald Reagan. Joe Biden has experience but the wrong philosophy therefore his experience will not do any good. Even with experience he would screw it up. Divide Iraq into 3 sections! Are you kidding me? Brilliant Joe.

Also, at least Palin knows who the Pres was in 1929 and that he did not go on TV.