Vomit During a Workout

Okay so if my body is putting all my blood to the muscles and less going to my digestion system, that’s why we throw up during a hard workout right?
I always hear about lifters who, on occasion, throw up during their gym time.
Is it necessarily a bad thing to do this? Or an indication of hard work?

• T

perhaps you started your workout too soon after eating. it could be many things. i know when i’d come back to training after a long layoff, i’d of course start slowly and the way i’d know i was doing to much too soon was i’d get nauseous. but after getting my body used to the higher volume and intensity, it wouldn’t happen anymore.

but there are times even now, especially on leg day when i’ll get hit with a flash of nausea. it’s part of the deal unfortunately.

it could be what you’re eating before you train. avoid high fat meals as they take longer to digest.

i have gotten light headed but never very nauseas, but both of my friends when they came to work out with me both threw up like drunk chicks when they deadlifted with me and the other one sat down and gave up after we moved to front squats( and these kids apparently worked out)

idunno i always eat one hour before working out, but it is very light, same for when i am going to grapple

what supplements do you take before working out, i know i cant take anything or it messes with my stomach

i see stars and black spots before i get sick to my stomach.

eating too soon before lifting has got to be it for me. i’ve only seen on person puke haha; my lifting partner freshman year lol

there was a trail of puke from teh door to the lockers lol

Isn’t the nausea a sign of either a sharp drop in blood glucose or improper breathing, like holding your breath during lifts?

I’m doing the V-Diet right now, and my carbs are pretty low. I’ve been doing workouts similar to the metabolic training that Thibs just wrote about recently and every workout has made me feel sick, even with taking Surge before and during training. Could be I don’t have enough carbs stored. Maybe drnking a 1/2 serving of Surge (or a full, if you’re doing the Double Surge thing) 5-15 minutes before training would help?

I personally don’t see puking during or after a workout as a good thing, as if it happens too often it can damage the esophagus. And anyone who has ever had acid reflux knows what that’s like.

Throwing up after or during a workout is not good. It is a waste of money - especially if you eat good food.

It is also makes a mess.

That said – it is a good idea to occasionally work so hard that you are on the verge…so you know where your limit is…the point is you want a training affect. You don’t want to kill yourself…or puke up good food/supplements.

I get nausea every leg workout, fucking horrible feeling, but never to the point of throwing up, I don’t see how that can be a good thing.

I eat about 60-90mins before a workout, take some BCAA’s 5mins before and usually have 1/2 serving of Surge during.

I, personally, try to keep my workouts early in the morning. So usually I’m lifting with Eggs, Oatmeal and Water in my belly. I seem to be eating about an hour before working out, though I find two hours makes me feel much more prepared.

I don’t take protein immediately pre-workout just because I don’t know how it handles in the digestive track during lifts. Though I can, on occassion, get nauseous, today’s exercises were the first day I had to actually go vomit in the restroom before resuming my sets and supplemented properly post workout.

i get sick when doing gpp.

and more recently when im doing fast russian twists.

nausea is typically a symptom of a large increase in lactic acid production

Once in a while its good to push it absolutely balls to the wall and throw up, but I’d reassess your program if it’s happening consistently.

it’s not the food so much as the overload of lactic acid. “overload” is obviously relative to your level of conditioning… if you’re in average shape for a lifter i’d say start there. a few weeks of sprints and intervals and you’ll be able to clear more acid more quickly and hence complete more work on your squat day.

[quote]swivel wrote:
it’s not the food so much as the overload of lactic acid. “overload” is obviously relative to your level of conditioning… if you’re in average shape for a lifter i’d say start there. a few weeks of sprints and intervals and you’ll be able to clear more acid more quickly and hence complete more work on your squat day.[/quote]

Right on, thanks! I do tend to not move around as much outside the weight room.

It’s just a visit from Uncle Pukie. Seems pretty normal. I back off when the nausea and puke start to knock on my door.

[quote]mmllcc wrote:
Throwing up after or during a workout is not good. It is a waste of money - especially if you eat good food.
[/quote]

Sure, man up and eat the mess back!

I only get nausea if I am doing really intense circuits with no rest and with a lot of different body positions i.e. lying,standing,decline,lunging exercises with jacknives on swiss ball in there too…
(‘tasted it’ a couple of times on those,had to take a breather)

Or near the end of an intense interval training session on the rower or treadmill,especially Tabata…

Tabata is certainly puke inducing.

yea i second the lactic acid thing. After Once i stand up from from deadlifting hard i see black spots but only near the end of the sets do i feel nausea