Volume When Cutting

How much volume is actually needed when trying to maintain muscle mass. Currently im going to be doing 2-3 strength training sessions (mostly heavy weights) a week + 5-6 wrestling sessions. My idea was to let the wrestling (1-1.5h a day), occassional cardio, and caloric defeceit + HOT-ROX take care of everything. Although I have not started to take away calories yet todays workout went like this.

Deadlifts
135 x 12
185 x 12
225 x 8 x 2
275 x 6

Followed by a 4-5 sets of (supersetted)
5 high pulls (light weight)
5-7 chin ups
10 dips
10 push ups

Followed by some 50-60% 1RM rows
and some arms/shoulders just because thats what i wanted to work on.

I haven’t done much heavy lifting in a while which is why the deadlifts had so many reps but would it be reasonable to say that a big exercise (Bench, Powerclean, Squat, Deadlift) with say 5-6 sets of heavy weight would be enough to maintain or should i add an additional compound exercise.

[quote]Rookie21 wrote:
How much volume is actually needed when trying to maintain muscle mass. Currently im going to be doing 2-3 strength training sessions (mostly heavy weights) a week + 5-6 wrestling sessions. My idea was to let the wrestling (1-1.5h a day), occassional cardio, and caloric defeceit + HOT-ROX take care of everything. Although I have not started to take away calories yet todays workout went like this.

Deadlifts
135 x 12
185 x 12
225 x 8 x 2
275 x 6

Followed by a 4-5 sets of (supersetted)
5 high pulls (light weight)
5-7 chin ups
10 dips
10 push ups

Followed by some 50-60% 1RM rows
and some arms/shoulders just because thats what i wanted to work on.

I haven’t done much heavy lifting in a while which is why the deadlifts had so many reps but would it be reasonable to say that a big exercise (Bench, Powerclean, Squat, Deadlift) with say 5-6 sets of heavy weight would be enough to maintain or should i add an additional compound exercise.[/quote]

It’s all personal. Figure it out through trial and error.

You’ll probably be able to get a decent idea of what volume to use once you actually get into the gym. Personally, I’d recommend less work sets per big exercise–more like 3, rather than 5-6–but doing a couple of them per workout instead of just one.

For instance, do squat and deadlift each for 3 intense work sets, then finish off with some less demanding stuff like you did in the workout you posted (though again, maybe not 4-5 circuits).

So perhaps a better way of going about it would be.

Day 1 Powerclean & Deadlift
Warm up
5 RM x 3

Day 2 Bench & Squat
Warm up
5 RM x 3

Day 3 Deadlift & Bench
Warm up
5 RM x 3

I recommend you take a look at articles written by Chad Waterbury.

He has some fantastic routines outlined, sound reasoning and they seem perfect for what you are looking to accomplish.

Here is a link to Chad’s articles.

http://www.T-Nation.com/ALSAuthor.do?p=Chad%20Waterbury&pageNo=1

Do a search and you will definitely find something that works for you.

Good Luck

Olesya

http://www.MuscleWithAttitude.com