T Nation

Volume Question & Routine Check

I recently started a basic upper body/lower body routine based on compound movements to get a strong, solid base (i'm currently 165 at 5' 10). Looks like this

Day A (lower body)

Back squat 5x5
Deadlift 5x5
Ab wheel roll out AMRAPx5
rope jumping (great calf builders according to Chad Waterbury) 10 mins

Day B (upper body)

Bench press 5x5
Pull ups 5x5
military press (standing) 5x5
Seated cable row 5x5

Every workout is done twice every week for a total of 4 sessions. I`m also doing 2 sessions of interval running (on off days)

I wanted to know what you guys (newbs and especially vets) think about it (exercise selection wise and so on) for a guy trying to build a strong foundation along with some size. Also, Is the volume per exercise, body part, session... OK, considering each workout is performed twice per week? Too low?

Id be very grateful for any advise, comments or critiques.

Eduardo

Good exercise selection; volume will get too much as you get stronger, and you'll find yourself too draining after 5x5 squat to lift heavy on 5x5 deadlift (the same will happen with upper body day). Until then, you can just rotate exercise order; later, you'll need to split the volume at least in two. I'll give you an exemple:

Day A (lower body)

Back squat 5x5
Assistance (Good morning, leg press...)3x8-12
Ab wheel roll out AMRAPx5

Day B (upper body)

Bench press 5x5
assistance: incline press, DB flyes...3x8-12
Pull ups 5x5
assistance: cable pull-over...

Day A' (lower body)

Deadlift 5x5
Assistance: RDL, GHR...3x8-12
Core exercise of choice

Day B' (upper body)

military press (standing) 5x5
assistance: lateral raises
Seated cable row 5x5
assistance: bent-over raises, scapular retraction,

Great advise, thanks man. May I ask why you recommend 3x8 12 on the assistance drills?

5X5 is heavy weight and harder on body and joints. Assisted exercises do not need to use as heavy weight after doing good sets of the primary exercise as usually the muscle is hit hard with the primary exercise. If you did everything at 5X5 you would quickly burn out and/or use lighter weight anyway. This way you are using heavy weight for strenght when the muscle is fresh and lighter finishing exercise for endurnace and growth.

x2!