Volume Progression

As a beginner should i be more focused on load progression or total volume for a given exercise?  Just to get some experience with manipulating parameters i have been doing bicep curls with different set/rep schemes using various 5.8.10.12 rep maxes.  

What i am trying to do is beat the total volume each time using different parameters to keep the muscle guessing and avoid urn out (not that it will really happen with bi curls, though). Is this a good way to go about programming and could/should it be applied to other exercises?

[quote]cskolnick wrote:
As a beginner should i be more focused on load progression or total volume for a given exercise? Just to get some experience with manipulating parameters i have been doing bicep curls with different set/rep schemes using various 5.8.10.12 rep maxes.

What i am trying to do is beat the total volume each time using different parameters to keep the muscle guessing and avoid urn out (not that it will really happen with bi curls, though). Is this a good way to go about programming and could/should it be applied to other exercises? [/quote]

I thought as a beginner you should focus on strength gains first, so supposedly you should progress by weight first and keep volume the same.

IMO progress any damn way you can and in multiple ways you cannot expect top always add more load wont happen. Try and add 1 friggin lbs, one rep, one set, take of 5 seconds of rest Progress SOMEHOW nearly each workout. But above all bust ass give everything you have that particular day and your all good,

Phill

As a long-term plan this won’t work, as you will “volume-out” so to speak.

For the time being it’s often a good method. And certainly by the time you can do a good number of sets of an exercise at a given number of reps, it will be possible to use a heavier weight for lower volume when changing the program.