T Nation

Volume of 'Full Body' Growth Factor

Hi Coach,

We’re trying to do a couple things at once for our engagement photos in 6 weeks. So, right now we’re trying to shed a bit of extra fat and pack on a little muscle in some strategic areas. Our schedules don’t sync too well, so we can only COMMIT to 2x/week in the gym. Extra days or days we can’t spend training together will be filled with yoga & conditioning work.

Our Layout is

Day A

1. Squat, Bench, Chin-ups (531 sets, no extra anything)
  2. Growth Factor for shoulders
  3. Growth Factor for glutes
  4. Complexes (alternate is truck pushing/carries/tire work)

Day B

1. Deadlift (531 sets, again nothing extra)
  4. Complexes (again, alternate is truck pushing/carries/tire work)

So primary question, in this not-so great schedule, is how many sets of growth factor for each of the two groups would you say is ideal, given that it can’t interfere with the equally important conditioning aspect? Secondly, would (traditional) complexes remain the tool of choice for the conditioning aspect on weight training days?

Many thanks from us in advance!

EDIT: As I’m sure the answer is dependent on our current level, we’re both “intermediate” lifters…she’s done a bikini competition and I’m your average gym rat.

[quote]TX iron wrote:
Hi Coach,

We’re trying to do a couple things at once for our engagement photos in 6 weeks. So, right now we’re trying to shed a bit of extra fat and pack on a little muscle in some strategic areas. Our schedules don’t sync too well, so we can only COMMIT to 2x/week in the gym. Extra days or days we can’t spend training together will be filled with yoga & conditioning work.

Our Layout is

Day A

1. Squat, Bench, Chin-ups (531 sets, no extra anything)
  4. Complexes (alternate is truck pushing/carries/tire work)

Day B

1. Deadlift (531 sets, again nothing extra)
  4. Complexes (again, alternate is truck pushing/carries/tire work)

So primary question, in this not-so great schedule, is how many sets of growth factor for each of the two groups would you say is ideal, given that it can’t interfere with the equally important conditioning aspect? Secondly, would (traditional) complexes remain the tool of choice for the conditioning aspect on weight training days?

Many thanks from us in advance!

EDIT: As I’m sure the answer is dependent on our current level, we’re both “intermediate” lifters…she’s done a bikini competition and I’m your average gym rat.
[/quote]

Honestly you are asking a lot. Adding some muscle in strategic places in 6 weeks in possible… losing fat in 6 weeks is possible. But adding muscle in strategic places while losing fat (so assuming a caloric deficit) only lifting twice a week is very very optimistic to say the least. I’m not saying you wont see any improvements but it wont be that significative, at least in the muscle mass department.

I also don’t like of not doing any work for other body parts for 6 weeks. Sure you could argue that the main lifts used will work all muscle groups to some extent. And that might be true. But there is a difference between “involving” a muscle and stimulating enough so that it grows or at least maintain its size.

First I would not worry about the lifting sessions interfering with the conditioning work. First because growth factor training doesn’t lead to a lot of soreness and also it doesn’t burn out the nervous system. And even if it did, so what? It’s not like you will be tested on your performance in a GPP workout.

As for the amount of sets for growth factor work, you can realistically do 2-3 complexes (on one day do 3 for one body part and 2 for the other one, and reverse the order for the other session) for 3 or 4 sets each.

Thank you for taking the time to give such a detailed reply; I really appreciate it. If we continue on the current path I’ll up the main lift volume and program the growth factor as you outlined. Though I’ll be talking w/ the lady about narrowing our focus, which would probably be fat loss-centric.