T Nation

Volume for Lower/Upper Split?

I started doing lower/upper body split training a few days ago and think that the volume I am using is pretty heavy... I don't want to neglect any body part, hence so many sets in my workouts... Any suggestions?
Monday: Lower body. Reps range 5-8 (relatively heavy stuff )
Quads
1. 3 sets of back squats
2. 3 sets of step ups
Hams
1. 3 sets of Bulgarian Split Squat
2. 3 sets on hams machine (yeah, I know)
Calves
1. 3 sets of Calf-raises with barebell
2. 3 sets on calves machine
Abs:
1. 3 sets of Weighted Swiss ball crunches
2. 3 sets of plank- minimum 35 secs each

Tuesday:
Sprints in the park as well as 3 sets of the shuttle exercise followed by short shooting practice [soccer]

Wednesday:
Upper body. It's my light day so I do a 10-12 reps routine

Chest
1. 3 sets of Incline DBell Bench Press
2. 3 sets of Machine Flies
Back.
1. 1 set of Pull Ups [I stop just before reaching failure, which is usually around my 12th rep but on a good day might rep out 16 )
2. 1 set of Chin Ups
3. 2 sets of Dbell Row
4. 2 sets on Lat Pull down machine
Delts:
1. 3 sets of Dbbell Shoulder Press
2. 3 sets of Lat Raises
Biceps:
1. 2 sets of dbell alternating curls
2. 1 set of barebell reverse curls
3. 2 sets of biceps curls on the Incline Bench
Triceps:
1. 3 sets of Dips
2. 3 sets of Triceps Pressdown

Thursday:

2 hours of soccer

Friday:

Lower body 10-16 reps (this shit hurts!)
Quads:
1. 3 sets of Bbell Jump Squats
2. 3 sets of Squats
Hams:
1. 3 sets of Reverse Lunges
2. 3 sets of Bulgarian Split Squats
Calves:
1. 3 sets of Dbbell calf-raises
2. 3 sets on the calf machine
Abs:
1. 3 sets of Oblique twists
2. 3 sets of Reverse Crunch.

And finally, Saturday:

Upper body: 5-8 reps
Chest:
1. 3 sets of Bbell Bench Press
2. 3 sets of inclince Dbbel Bench press
Back:
1. 1 set of weighted Pull ups
2. 3 sets of Deadlift
3. 2 sets of T-bar row
Delts
1. 3 sets of Dbell or Bbell Shoulder Press
2. 2 sets of Upright Rows
3. 1 set of Dbbel front raises
Biceps:
1. 3 sets of Bbell Curls
2. 2 sets of Reverse Dbbell Curls
Triceps:
1. 3 sets of weighted dips
2. 3 sets of Triceps extensions

Sunday
45 minutes of soccer in a local 5-a-side league...

A few points to consider, in no particular order:

I don't know how you can play soccer on Sunday, then train legs on Monday, and then sprint on Tuesday, and two hours of soccer the day before hitting legs the second time. If you're training for size, make sure you're eating plenty during and after the sessions so you can go full throttle in each session.

Whenever you're training a bodypart more than once a week, like you're doing here, you can either use different exercises with the same set/rep pattern, or the same exercises with different sets/reps each workout. You're mixing both, which isn't "bad", but it's more variety than necessary. Keeping it a little more consistent will help short-term results and it'll give you another factor to manipulate once progress starts to slow down.

You're giving calves and arms the same amount of attention (in terms of volume and frequency) as much attention as you're giving to quads and back. Does that make any sense? Bigger bodyparts deserve more work, smaller bodyparts require less work.

A given individual's calves, for example, may not know that principle and may not measure their mass as part of their response to volume.

Or a person's biceps may not know that principle either and need more sets than say the chest does.

If you don't think his, for example, back work and leg work is insufficient, and his arm and calf work isn't interfering with his gym performance or recovery ability, then why insist that it is wrong for him to do that amount?

Is that a 03 ish Leeds Shirt I see in your pic?

Unless he's a super-newb, complete with flowing cape and the SN-insignia on the chest of his shirt, there's no need for calves to receive as many sets and as much frequency as the back. It's training the body to emphasize less "important" (not the right word, but hopefully you get the gist) muscles over more "important" ones.

The same thing goes for arms. The biceps alone are getting nearly the same amount of direct attention as the entire back. The arms as a whole (bis and tris) are getting as much volume and frequency as the quads/hams. That's simply disproportionate for anyone but the absurdly advanced or the absolute beginner.

I'd give a thumbs down to the overall layout of this upper-lower split because in the guy's profile, it says he has two years of training experience. Presuming that's time consistently spent training, he's either learned how to thrive on a low volume-high frequency program, or he's mis-prioritizing by undertraining some of the largest muscle groups (or over-emphasizing the smaller parts) and trying to train everything with the same, "convenient" 2-3 sets of 2-3 exercises per bodypart.

I didn't even get into the actual exercise selection, which I'm not a fan of either. Considering the regular soccer practice, I'd reduce the leg training a bit. I'd also want to fine-tune the rest of the plan (removing redundant exercises, eliminating some of the isolation work, etc.)

Also, when training the same bodypart multiple times each week, I prefer to either change the exercises and keep the rep range the same or change the rep range and use the same exercises. I feel that changing both in each session is adding unnecessary variation.

The guy didn't actually state his goals for the program, but based on the rep scheme and exercise choices, I'm thinking he's after hypertrophy and improved sports performance. That's always a tricky game to play - improving athleticism while training for size - but it can definitely be done, just not with a plan laid out like this.

Well, we'll have to agree to disagree on that.

So long as work such as that in the case of the individual person is not forcing less work on more major movements or interfering with their performance, and isn't interfering with recovery, there is nothing lost and often considerable to be gained by doing more arm and calf work than you think proper.

@laner- no mate, it's Juventus top
@Bill Roberts and Chris Colucci: thanks a lot for your input guys. I forgot to specify my goals and Chris Colucci was spot on- hypertrophy as well as getting fit for my sport (soccer). Doing the squat twice a week seems not to be the best idea (my legs were killing me on Saturday, just one day before a league game) and it got me thinking I might be better off switching back to the body part split I used to do. Could you guys have a look at this and let me know what you think about:

Monday: Delts and Legs
Delts:
1. 4 (sets) x 8 dbell press
2. 3 x 10 lat raises
3. 4 x 8 either barbell upright row or dbell front raises
4. 2 x 10 on delt machine
Legs:
1. 3 x 10 squat
2. 3 x 6-8 jump squat
3. 3 sets of step ups
4. 3 sets of Bulgarian split squat
5. 3 sets on the hams machine
Tuesday:
Sprints in the park as well as 3 sets of 3 reps of the shuttle exercise followed by short shooting practice [soccer]

Wednesday:
Back, Calves and Abs

Back:
1. 3 x 8 Weighted Pull ups
2. 3 x 6-4 Deadlift
3. 4 x 10-8 T-bar Row
4. 3 x 10-8 on the Lat Pull down machine
Calves:
1. 4 x 8 of Dbbell calf-raises
2. 3 x 10 on the calf machine
Abs:
1. 3 sets of weighted Medicine Ball crunches
2. 3 sets of Oblique twists
3. 3 sets of 35 secs Plank
4. 3 sets of Reverse Crunch.
Thursday:

2 hours of soccer

Friday:
Chest and Biceps
Chest
1. 3 x 8 of Flat BBell Bench Press
2. 4 x 8 of incline dbbel bench press
3. 3 x 8 of flat Dbbel Bench Press
4. 3 x 10-12 on the chest fly machine
Biceps:
1. 4 x 8 bbell curls
2. 3 x 10 barbell reverse curls
3. 3 x 10 of dbell hammer biceps curls on the Incline Bench

Sat: Triceps and Traps
Triceps
1. 4 x 8 of weighted Dips
2. 4 x 10-8 Close grip bench press
3. 3 x 10 Triceps Pressdown
Traps:
1 Dbell shrugs: 5 x 10

Sunday
45 minutes of soccer in a local 5-a-side league...
@ Chris: You said that my lower/upper body split was not really helpful in achieving my goals: how about the one above? Yes, I've been very consistent(working out at least 3-4 times a week) throughout my short spell in the iron game, speaking of which next week my 2 years will become 3... no more beginners forum lol :slight_smile: