Volleyball Player incorporating Olympic Lifts

I was a professional volleyball for my first year after college. I suffered a freak intestinal problem following the season. I have continued playing in the USA for the PVL last year and this year. I have performed Olympic lifts since college, but never really followed any specific workout plan. I am incorporating them in my workouts right now and will for the rest of the summer. My goal is to return overseas to play volleyball.

I am not looking to pack on pounds or lift absolutely huge weights. I try and lift lower weights now while I reintroduce them into my workout. For these lifts to correlate to volleyball I basically want to lift the weight as fast as possible. I am looking for advice from people on workout plans as well as different schemes people use to add on some weight or more volume.

I do overhead lifts, but those aren’t as important as my cleans, deadlifts, and squats. I also incorporate other exercises for pre or post exhaustion to gain strength. I am open to any suggestions and my training regimen is as follows:

Monday- Lift (Legs) Volleyball (Jumps/Sprints/Agility) @ Sand Courts
Deadlifts, Hang Cleans, Power Snatches (Hang cleans no matter the weight I drop down and squat)
Tuesday- Lift (Chest/Back) Volleyball (Sprints/Jumps) @ Sand Courts
Push Jerks
Wednesday- Volleyball (Some-Sprints/Agility More-Volume Jumps) @ Sand Courts
Thursday- Lift (Legs) Volleyball (All- Volume Jumps/Sprints game like stuff)
Front Squats, Power Cleans, Hang Snatches
Friday- Lift (Chest/Back)
Clean and Jerk

I play indoor volleyball, but I find sand to be the best for jump/sprint/agility. Plus better cushion than landing on concrete or hard surface.

I am a super serious athlete. I am training 12 hours a week. I will look to push closer to 18 hours a week after I play in the PVL at the end of May.

You aren’t an olympic lifter. I wouldn’t suggest doing cleans AND snatches on the same day. There’s no need. Do one day cleans, the other day snatches. And do them before your squats because they are more taxing than squatting or pulling.

Yes, I completely understand I am not an Olympic lifter, but these lifts are highly recommended for volleyball players. I appreciate the advice and will make some adjustments. If you have any other suggestions please let me know. I was looking to see if there are any special lifting patterns to maximize strength and speed.

[quote]wolffbfg wrote:
Yes, I completely understand I am not an Olympic lifter, but these lifts are highly recommended for volleyball players. I appreciate the advice and will make some adjustments. If you have any other suggestions please let me know. I was looking to see if there are any special lifting patterns to maximize strength and speed.[/quote]

Read a book on standard periodization.

Are you doing plyometrics?

Personally, I don’t see the benefits snatching provides a volleyball player being anywhere in the same ballpark as power cleans or full cleans . I certainly don’t know the sport, but you folks (hitters) probably jump from a more standing position than would say a basketball player. Leg jumpers vs back jumpers, if you will…

I also don’t see where dead lifts lend themselves to an especially strong volleyball player. Maybe if your setters have to dig kettle balls or something or they have added a back thickness judge.

You’re on the right track with plenty of front squatting. One day max effort/lactic acid rep scheme–think pumped!!!. One day dynamic effort- 40-60% of max for speed reps.

Short version:
Trade out snatches and deadlifts for plyometrics, more power cleans, and more front squats-- add in some serious core work, and you’re better off.