T Nation

VMO Domination

In my training I’m focused more on deadlifts and don’t do squats in the meantime.
I do bulgarian squats after DL which definitely works my VMO’s.
To be clear - I don’t train for aesthetic reason.

It’s important to have strong VMO due to knee stabilization but is there any risk of injury from developing VMO over the rest of quadriceps heads?

It’s not like Bulgarian split squats are not building the rest of the quads… it is… so I really would not worry about bringing the VMO out of balance

Good to know, I just started doing it. I realize however, that VMO will be main muscle worked. Of course I know You’re right about not worrying :slight_smile:

I’m curious about hypothetical situation, where someone has very big VMO in comparison to the rest of quad muscles.

For example: if V.LATERALIS is much bigger than VMO, than risk of injury increases.

IMHO the bigger/stronger VMO, the better for knees, but I would like to know your opinion because it’s only my supposition.

Thank you very much for answers.

Not CT, but here is my 2 cents. Lateral quad pull is more of an issue than medial quad pull because of how the patella slides in the groove when the knee is flexed and extended. The vastus lateralis pulls to the outside at more of an angle than the vmo pulls to the inside, so the lateralis will pull the patella from its normal path more. I’ve never had a patient with a patella that tracked too far medially.

The real problem with developing a huge VMO is quad/hamstring strength ratio and flexibility. People with overly strong quads tend to get a lot of patellar tendonitis and achy knees in general from the quads constantly pulling so much.

[quote]smallmike wrote:
Not CT, but here is my 2 cents. Lateral quad pull is more of an issue than medial quad pull because of how the patella slides in the groove when the knee is flexed and extended. The vastus lateralis pulls to the outside at more of an angle than the vmo pulls to the inside, so the lateralis will pull the patella from its normal path more. I’ve never had a patient with a patella that tracked too far medially.

The real problem with developing a huge VMO is quad/hamstring strength ratio and flexibility. People with overly strong quads tend to get a lot of patellar tendonitis and achy knees in general from the quads constantly pulling so much.[/quote]

Thanks Mike, and I concur with that last portion, having myself suffered from that problem in the past.