VMA's, Miley & Our Culture

Thoughts:

a) Disney does horrid things to our kids.

b) Or is this really just what life is like outside Disney and we distract ourselves from it with sports, Hollywood and frivolous pursuits while the world around us burns?

c) There is nothing at all wrong with what happened

Thread rules:

Pick a side, and convince others why that side is correct.

Any comments about race should be ignored.

Introduction of a 4th option is fine, but dont’ be a dick.

Please god don’t let this turn into a woman bashing/alpha beta bullshit thread.

gogogo

b) I’ve seen some very overprotected disney watching kids develop late socially. Usually when this happens they overshoot their development.

B.

I didn’t watch the VMA’s. I can’t remember the last time I watched the VMA’s either. Probably back when MTV still played videos, so I’m guessing it was in the 90’s and “The Real World” was the only reality TV show they aired.

So, while I’m getting ready for work this morning I got the news on and I see this nonsense. I have no idea what is so appealing about a girl with a body of a 12-year old boy, wearing next to nothing, dancing like a drunk spring breaker, and constantly sticking out her tongue or doing that silly sneer she seems to have trademarked.

So yeah, I don’t follow this stuff. I’m on the up-and-up thanks to the news constantly bombarding me with nonsense but I try my best not to read past the headlines.

PS - that dude stole Bettlejuice’s suit.

[quote]countingbeans wrote:
a) Disney does horrid things to our kids.
[/quote]
I’ll paint with a bit of a broader stroke than just Disney, but you can use Disney as kind of a metaphor for what I’m talking about. I’ve grown up with kids who had super strict, prudish parents and lived their lives being insanely sheltered and babied.

All the sudden they have to leave home and go to college; they go from 100% rules to 0% rules literally overnight and they just go buck wild. Too much “Disney” I think robs kids of developing the ability to set their own boundaries and live responsibly via their own merits without mommy and daddy around to police everything for them.

[quote]Airtruth wrote:
b) I’ve seen some very overprotected disney watching kids develop late socially. Usually when this happens they overshoot their development. [/quote]

Pretty much agree with this. Its awful that she decided to do that performance and I wouldnt want my kids to see it but kids that are over protected early seem to be prone to the culture shock.

Beans, did you see all the shots of those celebrities? Even they were embarrassed/disgusted. Miley is the last person that should be twerking. She doesn’t have that ass.

When the fuck did Beetle Juice become cool again?

[quote]Totenkopf wrote:
Beans, did you see all the shots of those celebrities? Even they were embarrassed/disgusted. Miley is the last person that should be twerking. She doesn’t have that ass.[/quote]
What you don’t like chicken?

b) …kind of. I don’t think Hollywood is a distraction, I think it’s helping the push towards depravity. During football yesterday NBC played a promo for their upcoming hit comedy Welcome to the Family which highlights the hilarity of accidental pregnancy among unwed couples. Surely the goal of this show is to display how it’s no big deal when it happens and can successfully bring families together (as long as said families are both upper middle class or higher).

That’s the only part of the VMAs I watched and the crowd reaction towards Cyrus was more of disgust than approval. I personally found it distasteful and don’t know why someone as pretty as Miley Cyrus would do something like that to herself.

I don’t know about Robin, but I’m pretty sure Alan Thicke is a spokesperson for a swingers resort. So, take that for whatever it’s worth I guess.

that looks uncomfortable.

“accidental pregnancy” lol

[quote]StevenF wrote:
“accidental pregnancy” lol [/quote]

Haha, I guess that’s kind of an oxymoron. “I was just walking down the street when BAM, accidental pregnancy.”

People watch the VMAs?

[quote]usmccds423 wrote:
People watch the VMAs?[/quote]

That was my thoughts last night. I noticed some were mentioning it on FB. Didnt know it was still going on honestly.

A/B

This is what happens when you live a life where everything is completely controlled and you’re incapable of doing whatever you want during your teen years.

Then you legally become an adult and, BAM, you go batshit crazy.

Happens to child actors and celebrities all the time.

Hell, happens all the time to every college students too, on a varying degree depending on how controlling their parents were.

That being said, the Today show folks did make a good point on today’s broadcast. It’s basically a battle of escalation at this point, where each and every new-comer are thinking “how do I top the previous act?” This is the result.

C) I’m obviously in the minority, but I just watched the video, and I really didn’t see a problem. First of all, it’s not like she’s 15 or 16 anymore. She’s 20. She’s doing everything she can to shed the Disney image. Good for her. Anybody who thinks she should just maintain the Disney image is basically asking for her career to be over. She wouldn’t be relevant to pop culture if she wasn’t putting herself out there like this. She doesn’t have legitimate acting/singing chops, so she’s making the best of what she does have. She’s getting rich off this shit, so I can’t blame her one bit.

If she wasn’t formerly with Disney, and was just some pop star being lewd on stage (think Kesha, maybe Lady Gaga when they appeared on the scene), the reaction would be totally different. We’re willing to accept Kesha and Gaga for what they are, but we want to call Miley out for doing the same thing? Or we want to blame Disney? Fuck that.

[quote]flipcollar wrote:
She’s getting rich off this shit, so I can’t blame her one bit. [/quote]
This.
There is no such thing as negative publicity.

[quote]magick wrote:

That being said, the Today show folks did make a good point on today’s broadcast. It’s basically a battle of escalation at this point, where each and every new-comer are thinking “how do I top the previous act?” This is the result.[/quote]

Doesn’t that just describe show business for the last 50-100 years? Elvis’s hip gyration was once considered shocking. I don’t understand why every time something like this happens it’s as if we weren’t expecting a young celebrity to push the line a bit further.

And by the way, go to any club across the US and look at how many girls are doing much worse than this, at younger ages. It’s really nothing new at all.

[quote]flipcollar wrote:
If she wasn’t formerly with Disney, and was just some pop star being lewd on stage (think Kesha, maybe Lady Gaga when they appeared on the scene), the reaction would be totally different. We’re willing to accept Kesha and Gaga for what they are, but we want to call Miley out for doing the same thing? Or we want to blame Disney? Fuck that.[/quote]

That is the rub of the situation. And I can for certain tell you that being the father of a daughter has changed my view from more in line with yours, to more in line with B or A.

If my daughter was a tween, and grew up watching Hanna Montana, with typical tween girl celebrity worship, I have to fight doubly hard now to prove to her that you don’t have to act like a skank to get attention. Because this girl, lets face it Miley is still a girl, has turned in the direction she has.

I’m not sating I’m right, wrong or indifferent, but it doesn’t sit well with me, what happened last night.

[quote]flipcollar wrote:

And by the way, go to any club across the US and look at how many girls are doing much worse than this, at younger ages. It’s really nothing new at all.[/quote]

Chicken or the egg no?

What came first? Celebrities people look up to acting like this so they do? Or celebrities aping what the people who love them are doing and conform to sell to them?