Vixens' Heavy Lifts

Hey everyone!

Started a thread like this on MWA… thought I would bring it on over here too! This is a thread for chicks lifting BIG WEIGHTS! Tons of the women on the MWA talk about lifting heavy and here is the perfect place to show it! =)

Here is a cool video of me doing Rack Dead’s from mid-thigh on Tuesday night. Oh yeah… there’s 8 plates on there… that’s 405… you read that right 4-0-5! =D

I was beyond pumped. I pulled it once with no straps, no belt… but couldn’t hang on for very long… so I grabbed straps (still no belt) and pulled it for a set of 4… then grabbed a camera and pulled it for another set of 5. I hope you guys (and gals) find it motivating! Now all I wanna do is go lift more BIG WEIGHT! =D

Excellent!

HI there. I was looking at that video yesterday. Beyond cool. It made me want to run out and see how much I can do. I think I’ll try on Saturday when I go heavy. The most I’ve done is 305 from a couple inches below the knee. I don’t think my grip is strong enough though. Thanks for the inspiration.

O

[quote]ouroboro_s wrote:
HI there. I was looking at that video yesterday. Beyond cool. It made me want to run out and see how much I can do. I think I’ll try on Saturday when I go heavy. The most I’ve done is 305 from a couple inches below the knee. I don’t think my grip is strong enough though. Thanks for the inspiration.

O[/quote]

Thanks for the kind words! I was hoping it would be inspiring! Good Luck pulling on Saturday! Please let us know how it goes… and tape it and post it on here if you can!

[quote]Boffin wrote:
Excellent![/quote]

Thanks Boffin! =D

Great job, very impressive!!!

nice work my friend the camera man sounds like a real dork

Here are two ladies i work with preforming what i call core death. They are using 30lbs dumbells on the rows and 15 on the press. the one closest to camera is 42 the other 38

This clip is a 18 year of girl preforming extended 5’s on the squat with 120lbs
She is one of the best amature golfers in the country. She is over 6 feet tall and drive the ball well over 350 off the tee

enjoy

[quote]print wrote:
Great job, very impressive!!![/quote]

Thanks! Hopefully there will be many many more to come! =D

Hey Cheeta!

Well, actually I was not even planning on doing rack pulls that day. My powerlifting buddies were setting it up to pull, and I saw the weight and though, “Hey… I can do that!” haha so I did!

I usually do not do them from that high, and when I do do them it’s usually a bit closer to my knees… I do these for upper back thickness, hip/hamstring strength, grip strength, plus it helps me lock out my deadlift.

So I guess the only benefit would be handling more weight and emphasizing your upper back/traps more than your hams…
(All I know is that I feel like my upper back was run over by a truck and it has been three days since I pulled!)

Also, while I have competed in figure, I also pulled in the Ironhouse Push Pull in Ohio in 2005. It was a spur-of-the-moment meet that I didn’t even train for… just decided to do it after I pulled 240 from a deficit really easily in the gym… so I did the meet with nothing but a singlet and a belt and pulled 285…

So, I am a bit of a hybrid I guess… I attend a powerlifting meet and can’t wait to get home and train for powerlifting… I go to a figure competition and can’t wait to be on stage again…

So… my training can be a bit schizophrenic at time… =D

Hope this answered your question… I feel like I just rambled a bit! =D

Ha, this is awesome and I love the movie’s title.

[quote]Kensei wrote:
Ha, this is awesome and I love the movie’s title.[/quote]

Haha yeah… that would be my friend Big Jim who titled it… definitely don’t mind it though! =D

I tried to pull as much as I could today. The best I could do was 325 from just above the knee. I had a hard time locking it out - pulling my shoulders back. Boo. I don’t have a video though. I think I need friends with equipment. Like video equipment. I’m going to keep trying.

WOW! That’s an amazing pull! Just above the knee? I am impressed!!! =D

It is definitely hard to lock it out and squeeze your upper back… my upper back/traps STILL feel like they have been run over by a truck! haha…

Yeah I don’t have any of my own video equipment… luckily my friend Jim (squat1000b700 above) happened to have some at the gym that day.

I posted in another thread that I am going for close to a “2x BW” conventional deadlift on Tuesday. I lifted this morning… and I am taking tomorrow and Monday off from lifting and then I am going to try to pull between 300 and 315 on Tuesday night (I weigh 158ish) I will try to get this on video… will let you know how it goes! =D

Keep working hard and lifting heavy! Can’t wait to hear about your progress!

[quote]mmgalb727 wrote:

It is definitely hard to lock it out and squeeze your upper back… my upper back/traps STILL feel like they have been run over by a truck! haha…

Yeah I don’t have any of my own video equipment… luckily my friend Jim (squat1000b700 above) happened to have some at the gym that day.

I posted in another thread that I am going for close to a “2x BW” conventional deadlift on Tuesday. I lifted this morning… and I am taking tomorrow and Monday off from lifting and then I am going to try to pull between 300 and 315 on Tuesday night (I weigh 158ish) I will try to get this on video… will let you know how it goes! =D

Keep working hard and lifting heavy! Can’t wait to hear about your progress![/quote]

My short term goal, by the fall is to hit 2x bodyweight deadlift. For me that’s only 250. My max conventional at the moment is 225.

Good luck with the pull. Do you ever take a week or two off deadlifting? If so, does it help? I love it and wonder if I do too much and am impeding my progress.

Deadlifting is very hard on the body not too many people can pull heavy every week. try doing speed pulls with 60% to 70% pull from pins or squat instead, Try skipping all the big movements for a week or two but keep doing all the other work to give your cns a break. Try pulling Heavy once everythree weeks

Hope this helps

Jim

[quote]ouroboro_s wrote:
mmgalb727 wrote:

My short term goal, by the fall is to hit 2x bodyweight deadlift. For me that’s only 250. My max conventional at the moment is 225.

Good luck with the pull. Do you ever take a week or two off deadlifting? If so, does it help? I love it and wonder if I do too much and am impeding my progress.
[/quote]

Yes I take a lot of time off from deadlifting. It is hard b/c I love it so much. But as Jim said above, it can be very hard on your body. I actually haven’t been training as much for strength lately… and I have been pulling in the 5-8 rp range which doesn’t beat me up as much. But a few months ago I actually took 6 weeks off from lifting lower body (did sprint training twice a week instead).

I was just so motivated by those rack pulls last week that I am DYING to see what my 1RM is.

I think when my current workout is over (prob another 3 weeks + a de-load week) I will try one of Westside’s Programs with 2 Max Effort days and 2 Dynamic Days each week. I am not sure yet though, we will see. Do you ever do speed pulls like Jim was talking about?

wish the girls in my gym would pull these weights instead of 2 hour cross trainer sessions…

[quote]-ironman- wrote:
wish the girls in my gym would pull these weights instead of 2 hour cross trainer sessions…[/quote]

Haha me too! Then maybe I wouldn’t get so many crazy looks! =D

But seriously… I am lucky to have a couple of hard-core chicks at my gym. One of them is like 4’10", weighs 110, and front squats as much as me, if not MORE! She is amazing! So also does Bent Over BB Rows with close to her bodyweight for like 6-8 reps!

So there are a COUPLE of girls at my gym who understand the importance of lifting BIG WEIGHTS… but most just tell me they want to “tone the backs of their arms, their inner and outer thighs, and have a flat firm tummy…” =D

I just smile at that while they are on their hamster wheel and say, “good luck with that!” =D

(can’t be too judgmental though… I think I said those exact words about 8 years ago… )

mmg
made a great piont you don’t always have to lift heavy to get stronger jumps and strints doing low back and abs work can make you stronger when you go back to the heavy lifting. Just about everyone should cycle some form of heavy training into there program. Just like every powerlifter should do some conditioning and mobility work. I do yoga and drag the sled. Everything has it’s place.

Jim

[quote]mmgalb727 wrote:
ouroboro_s wrote:
mmgalb727 wrote:

Yes I take a lot of time off from deadlifting. It is hard b/c I love it so much. But as Jim said above, it can be very hard on your body. I actually haven’t been training as much for strength lately… and I have been pulling in the 5-8 rp range which doesn’t beat me up as much. But a few months ago I actually took 6 weeks off from lifting lower body (did sprint training twice a week instead).

I was just so motivated by those rack pulls last week that I am DYING to see what my 1RM is.

I think when my current workout is over (prob another 3 weeks + a de-load week) I will try one of Westside’s Programs with 2 Max Effort days and 2 Dynamic Days each week. I am not sure yet though, we will see. Do you ever do speed pulls like Jim was talking about?[/quote]

Typically what I do is weekly m.e. for the three big lifts or variations on them. For example one week is back squat, conventional deadlift, flat bench. Another week rack pulls, high box squats, bench lock outs, etc. I have about 4 variations on each lift that I cycle through. Once each week is dynamic effort. So whatever variation I did on m.e., I take about 75% of the weight and do 9-12 sets of 3 with about 30 to 45 seconds between sets. For instance last week I did low box squat at 135 and deep pulls at 155. d.e. days absolutely flatten me. My other day(s) I do OH press, bb rows, push press etc.

Is that what you meant by speed pulls, lower weight, higher sets on deadlift?

The thing that killed my traps for over a week was doing the farmers walk with 115/hand for 150’. It felt like my left shoulder was going to separate. It was fun as hell though.