Vitamins on a Budget

I’m a noob when it comes to dieting/nutrition. I’m a student and on a budget, so I was wondering if you guys could give me some advice about which vitamins I should be taking on a regular basis. The only thing I really take is a multi-vitamin and fish oil. Any advice would be great. Thanks in advance.

Spend it on food. Multi and fish oil is more then enough.

[quote]JFG wrote:
Spend it on food. Multi and fish oil is more then enough. [/quote]

Seconded. Though many (myself included) simply count whey as food.

[quote]JFG wrote:
Spend it on food. Multi and fish oil is more then enough. [/quote]

Quoted for truth. Multi-vitamin and fish oil is enough in most circumstances.

Fish oil, good… but I wouldn’t spend money on a multi. Rather, spend your money on select vitamins/minerals that are absolutely crucial if you lift hard… zinc and magnesium, mainly. I think if your eat a lot of veggies, certain fruits, eat lots of good protein and fat, and take your fish oil, you are pretty well off. Elitepro Minerals + the nutrition above is optimal, IMO.

I agree with all that has been said. The only time I feel the need for a multi is if I am on a restrictive diet that limits the levels of many nutrients I can consume.

Minerals (esp. zinc, potassium, magnesium, selenium, copper), vitamin A 10000i.u/day vitamin D 3-5000i.u./day, fish oil. All of this should be pretty cheap. Spend the rest on lots of mixed veggies, some fruits and quality meats/fish.

fish oil/vitamin d

I take vitamin d 12,000 iu’s a day, been great so far. I believe the rule for over dosing it is when you have a metallic taste in your mouth cut back.

[quote]jwesus wrote:
fish oil/vitamin d

I take vitamin d 12,000 iu’s a day, been great so far. I believe the rule for over dosing it is when you have a metallic taste in your mouth cut back.[/quote]
metallic taste? I think that is for zinc.

Also, I don’t think you should be taking 12,000 IU everyday forever… I believe these high doses are a temporary solution to get your D3 serum level back up to snuff, and then you have some much lower maintenance dose of 4,000-ish IU or something like that.

also you have a very Arnold-esque physique going on.

[quote]PB Andy wrote:

Also, I don’t think you should be taking 12,000 IU everyday forever… I believe these high doses are a temporary solution to get your D3 serum level back up to snuff, and then you have some much lower maintenance dose of 4,000-ish IU or something like that.

also you have a very Arnold-esque physique going on. [/quote]

hmm I msy hsve gotten it mixed up but yeah the plan is too slowly lower it too 4000iu’s a day.

ha I wish. This is just a really, really good pose for me.

Thanks guys, appreciate the input

everyone recommends fish oil but what about b complex,flax oil and glucosamin?

[quote]Stan Darsh wrote:
everyone recommends fish oil but what about b complex,flax oil and glucosamin? [/quote]
If you eat enough chicken/eggs/meat/fish/veggies, you are good on the B vitamins (I think). Don’t take flax seed oil, stick to flax seed meal. Glucosamine & chondroitin works for some, doesn’t work for others. If you have joint problems and need more laxity, try it out to see if it works for you.