T Nation

Vitamins 'May Shorten Your Life'

http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/health/7349980.stm

please comment, I am interesyed in what you think of this report, cheers

I heard this on the radio today.

I’m sure I heard the reporter on Radio 1 mention that taking high(er) doses of vitamin A & D could lead to health risks, and that more was not better in this case. I thought that they are a bunch of fucking idiots for stating the obvious, and shrugged off this “new evidence” as more poorly conducted research.

It may be more applicable to us, since we aim to get balanced meals and plenty veg/fruits - well I aim to get plenty vegetables everyday, anyway.

Also, isn’t this along the lines of one of the reasons why Biotest decided to make Superfood; using fruits and veg instead of specific doses of certain selected vitamins?

[quote]rsg wrote:
Also, isn’t this along the lines of one of the reasons why Biotest decided to make Superfood; using fruits and veg instead of specific doses of certain selected vitamins?[/quote]

I believe so, yes. Superfood is however-many servings fruits and vegetables, so along with Superfood comes the vitamins that they provide, as the supplement is merely freeze dried food. The thing is, I’m surprised they didn’t market it that way. It seems to me that they focused a lot on the antioxidants in Superfood rather than the vitamins and minerals. In fact, I brought this up in the article discussion when someone asked about the vitamin content.

About multivitamins: there’s no point in including 1000% DV of a water soluble vitamin if anything the body doesn’t use is going to be excreted in urine anyway. As for fat soluble, it’s better to eat a healthy diet than to bargain on consuming a multi that has a relatively high amount of fat soluble vitamins. Overall, it’s better to just have a solid diet. I don’t have a problem with multivitamins necessarily, but there comes a point where people need to focus on eating rather than pills to remain healthy.

supplements are that - supplements -best they not be the main source for vitamins.

also most supplements are made of cheap, synthetic ingredients which the body cannot recognize.

methylcobalamin is a purer form of B12. r-alpha lipoic is the proper form of ALA - the usual form was actually found to shorten lifespan. i had also read recently - can’t remember where - that too many antioxidants have the reverse effect in the body - becoming detrimental instead.

i say all things in moderation. eat whole foods, live a whole life.

[quote]Padilla7921 wrote:
rsg wrote:
Also, isn’t this along the lines of one of the reasons why Biotest decided to make Superfood; using fruits and veg instead of specific doses of certain selected vitamins?

I believe so, yes. Superfood is however-many servings fruits and vegetables, so along with Superfood comes the vitamins that they provide, as the supplement is merely freeze dried food. The thing is, I’m surprised they didn’t market it that way. It seems to me that they focused a lot on the antioxidants in Superfood rather than the vitamins and minerals. In fact, I brought this up in the article discussion when someone asked about the vitamin content.
[/quote]

Well they did something right - I’ve got 9 tubs of the stuff. :slight_smile:

[quote]rsg wrote:
Well they did something right - I’ve got 9 tubs of the stuff. :)[/quote]

Hot damn.