T Nation

Vitamin D and Psoriasis

I've suffered from psoriasis my whole adult life. I've taken any number of topical solutions, burned with lasers and lights and injected. They all worked to varying degrees, but usually short-term.

Summer months are usually better because of the sun. Hence the artificial sun therapy referenced above.

The injectable was Humera (Dr. said I had Psoriatic Arthritis because of the accompanying right wrist and shoulder pain) and it did do the job, but with scary side effects. That is if you consider the feeling of someone stabbing you in the frontal lobe with a butcher knife scary. It happened twice, once while doing DB chest presses and then while sexing up my GF. I never get headaches, so this was an obvious concern.

Another odd side effect was it changed the consistency & ummm force of my ejaculate. Shooter to dripper and it was perplexing to say the least. My GF was even suspicious of me playing outside the relationship. Now I did have a few dates with PALMala, but that's a story for another day.

Anyways, I did some research on Mercola and immediately bagged the Humera. The psoriasis returned and my arthritis in my right hand and shoulder is back like gangbusters.

I wouldn't be shocked if Abbott Industries formulated the stuff somehow to make this a side effect of stopping the treatment. In doing so almost forcing the weak to return jabbing themselves in the stomach a few times a month while padding their pockets with no concern for the people they are poisoning. Not me, but I digress.

OK, so here is why I'm posting. I've solved the psoriasis thing (except for a bit on right elbow) with diet and proper supplementation. Or is just a shorterm solution?

Now I've read on here and Mercola that codliver oil is best supplemented in the winter because our natural source of vitamin D is minimized. This is assuming we're getting enough sun during the summer. But what if you're stuck inside all day except to walk the dog and go for a run?

So I rationalized that if psoriasis benefits from the sun and the sun is our primary source of vitamin D that perhaps psoriasis is somehow attributed to a vitamin D deficiency.

So my question to folks in T-Nation is it possible that psoriasis is indeed attributed to a vitamin D deficiency and therefore a supplement like codliver oil and perhaps Flameout could be a cure for some?

I'm working on the arthritis and would love for any feedback on that as well because my workouts suck right now.

This actually asks the inverse question- does psoriasis impact vitamin D metabolism. (from PubMed)

Abnormal vitamin D metabolism in patients with psoriasis.
Staberg B, Oxholm A, Klemp P, Christiansen C.

To elucidate if psoriatic skin involvement induces changes in vitamin D metabolism, the serum concentrations of the major vitamin D metabolites (25-hydroxy-vitamin D(2+3) (25OHD), 1,25-dihydroxyvitamin D(2+3) (1,25(OH)2D), and 24,25-dihydroxyvitamin D(2+3) (24,25(OH)2D)) were studied in a group of patients with psoriasis, who had not been exposed to ultraviolet radiation at least three months before the investigation. Serum concentrations of 1,25(OH)2D were significantly reduced in 17 patients with disseminated psoriasis compared to healthy age and sex matched controls (22.3 pg/ml versus 35.0 pg/ml (p less than 0.001)) and compared to 15 patients with moderate extended psoriasis (22.3 pg/ml versus 38.3 pg/ml (p less than 0.005)). Serum concentrations of the two other metabolites were not significantly decreased. In patients with moderate psoriatic skin manifestations, the values of the three vitamin D metabolites were normal.

It is concluded that patients with disseminated psoriasis demonstrate decreased serum concentrations of the vitamin D metabolite 1,25(OH)2D. Since 1,25(OH)2D plays a role in differentiation and proliferation of epidermal cells, the abnormal low serum level of 1,25(OH)2D might be of importance for the abnormalities in cell maturation and proliferation found in psoriatic skin. (emphasis mine)