Vitamin C to be Banned in Canada

Our peace loving neighbors to the North are once again be owned by Big Pharma. Could Big Pharma/Big Oil/Big Finance be the Anti-Christ?

http://ezinearticles.com/?Vitamin-C-Is-About-To-Be-Made-Illegal-In-Canada!-Nutritional-Supplements-Banned-In-Canada!-Bill-C-51&id=1174122

"Vitamin C Is About To Be Made Illegal In Canada! Nutritional Supplements Banned In Canada! Bill C-51

So you want to take Vitamin C, how about if it was illegal to take that vitamin C, what if it was so illegal that you could be thrown in jail for up to 2 years and fined up to $5,000,000! Sounds like fiction doesn’t it?

Well it’s about to become reality unless people become aware of what is going on. The Canadian Government is trying to pass a bill known as Bill C51. This bill has already passed its second reading and it is flying under the radar, it is very close to becoming law and some powers that be DON’T WANT YOU TO KNOW! This bill would give entire control of supplements over to drug companies by only allowing MDs to “Prescribe” them as they see fit. Of course we know here in this country the government controls the doctors and the pharmaceutical companies tell the government what laws they want inorder to make more profit. What this means is that if you want to take a multivitamin or some Omega-3, you have to book an appointment with your doctor, go in and try to convince your doctor that you are in need of these supplements."

Satan never sleeps!

Isn’t this about the 5th thread on this? As I understand it this C-51 requires supplement manufacturers to meet regulations in order to sell the supplements so instead of banning Vitamin C they are actually making sure that the Vitamin C sold is what it is supposed to be.

Correct me if I am wrong.

A lot of people seem to be forgetting that this has already occurred back in 2004. They tried to pass a very similar bill but the Canadian pop. made it very clear that they didn’t want this to happen. But of course the gov went and reworded the bill and ended up passing it anyway. This bill required all supplement companies to have to get very strict licensing on every product they put out.

The government has been extremely tough and is only allowing something like 20% of products to hit the shelves, including single ingredient products such as cinnamon, cranberry, bilberry etc. that are essentially just encapsulated foods. This has caused the number of supplement companies to fall quite a bit and the prices to rise drastically. Just to illustrate how screwed over us Canadian are getting, wholesale prices on probably 90% of products are equivilant to US selling prices. Needless to say this bill could really push this to the extreme.

well of course because you can’t patent vitamins

F–k Big Pharma. If they had their way, we couldnt take anything but their prescribed recipe for disaster (aka drugs). I really wish the head of the FDA would get a couple hollow points to the back of the head because thats what they deserve for all the suffering they’ve caused.

I get all the info first hand here in Canada. Just like when I lived in the states, there is always something FDA takes out! I was suprised as hell when I came to Canada, almost 3 years ago, and saw that you could BUY Ephedra OVER THE COUNTER, BIG time. But they banned that in the states years ago, and then came the crackdown on Yohimbe bark products in the US. Its crap time and not much we can do about it cause if you try and petition everything like they are doing up here now, “they” will only do what they want anyways.

I see ALOT of difference in the same company, making TWO different products of the same name (mostly deleting some ingredients in the original U.S.A product), all the time and Canadiens get the crap end of the deal, spending all that money on a product that has 3-4 less active ingredients in it than the US version (I wont name names though in here LOL)

Here is the link to some of the “petition” acts going around up here if anyone cares to see the affects…

http://www.popeyescanada.com/bill51.php

Total crap up here…all about the $$$

Time to move to Greenland.

[quote]BigKDawg wrote:
F–k Big Pharma. If they had their way, we couldnt take anything but their prescribed recipe for disaster (aka drugs). I really wish the head of the FDA would get a couple hollow points to the back of the head because thats what they deserve for all the suffering they’ve caused.[/quote]

i just saw a commercial for asthma medicine, on CNN of course

two hilarious/stupid things in the commercial

1. they actually stated “side effects include higher chance of asthma related deaths”, so this is an asthma medication that gives you a higher chance of dying from the disease you are trying to treat, sounds like the anti-anxiety medications where the side effect is “increased anxiety”

2. they mention inflammation of the lungs causing asthma, you would think that reducing the inflammation throughout the body by improving your diet would be a good idea through something like i don’t know FISH OIL

“Modern medicine” as it practiced today is the ultimate in quackery. Any form of medicine that both breaks its own oaths and principles (1st Hippocratic Oath of Doctors is DO NO HARM) and provides only sympotmatic treatment of the problem but doesnt get at the root of the problem is an utter and total absolute failure.

Just because Canada will require supplement manufacturers to actually supply what they claim and prove it all doctors are now quacks?

[quote]Zap Branigan wrote:
Isn’t this about the 5th thread on this? As I understand it this C-51 requires supplement manufacturers to meet regulations in order to sell the supplements so instead of banning Vitamin C they are actually making sure that the Vitamin C sold is what it is supposed to be.

Correct me if I am wrong.[/quote]

From my understanding, that’s basically it…but with all things government, they could royally fuck it up and drive prices sky high.

For example, how likely do you think it is Biotest would bother trying to meet the requirements? Tim’s basically said a number of times, the Canadian market is too small for them to worry about.

I’m hoping the bill dies on the floor of the House of Commons, 2 ways this can happen 1) voted down, 2) introduced, House adjourns for the summer and the government starts a new session in the fall (new Throne speech) rather than continuing on.

The second option is an easy way for the Government to kill legislation without having to have it voted on, they did this with the proposed environmental law earlier this year.

[quote]Headhunter wrote:

Well it’s about to become reality unless people become aware of what is going on. The Canadian Government is trying to pass a bill known as Bill C51. This bill has already passed its second reading and it is flying under the radar, it is very close to becoming law and some powers that be DON’T WANT YOU TO KNOW! This bill would give entire control of supplements over to drug companies by only allowing MDs to “Prescribe” them as they see fit. Of course we know here in this country the government controls the doctors and the pharmaceutical companies tell the government what laws they want inorder to make more profit. What this means is that if you want to take a multivitamin or some Omega-3, you have to book an appointment with your doctor, go in and try to convince your doctor that you are in need of these supplements."

Satan never sleeps!

[/quote]

Fuck the government. Save the doctors.

Its sad. What you should say though, isnt “canada is going to hell”. You should say, “Canada is going the way australia has been for the last 25 years”. No ephedra, no HOT-ROX, nothing prohormone like, limited amino acids, nothing cool at all. And price extremely high. Its no fun looking at the sports world progress around you, but live in a country you can’t access the benefits of it all.

[quote]Beatnik wrote:
Its sad. What you should say though, isnt “canada is going to hell”. You should say, “Canada is going the way australia has been for the last 25 years”. No ephedra, no HOT-ROX, nothing prohormone like, limited amino acids, nothing cool at all. And price extremely high. Its no fun looking at the sports world progress around you, but live in a country you can’t access the benefits of it all.

[/quote]

That is total and utter BS that you have to deal with that. No one should have the right to dictate what you do for your health or make mandates on the methods of treatment. I can understand restricting things that could potentially be of extreme harm to one’s health, but honestly how many people die as a result of excessive supplements versus medications. To me, it just reeks of maintaining the status quo and preserving the natural way of order of Big Pharma (where competition is a very very bad thing, especially if it actually solves the problem!)

Skimmed through this:
http://www.healthycanadians.gc.ca/pr-rp/billC-51_e.html

I really didn’t get the impression that supplements like Vitamin C will be banned with this bill.

There’s nothing about this Bill that really concerns me. It’s seems like the the natural health product industry is the one that’s causing all the hysteria. Bottom line is that this bill will result in a lot more regulation and the industry doesn’t want that so they’re making out to be some law that will put you in jail for life if you take one vitamin caplet.

[quote]Digity wrote:
Skimmed through this:
http://www.healthycanadians.gc.ca/pr-rp/billC-51_e.html

I really didn’t get the impression that supplements like Vitamin C will be banned with this bill.

1. What is the future under Bill C-51 for supplements and will there be regulated doses? Will 100mg tablets of vitamin C be available and allowed without prescription?

The Bill will not limit access to natural health products nor does it call for a change in their regulatory status (from over-the-counter to prescription).

Under Bill C-51, Canadians will continue to have ready access to a wide range of over-the-counter natural health products, including vitamin and mineral supplements of various doses and levels.

Allowable dosage levels for all natural health products will continue to be determined by the evidence provided to support their safety and efficacy.

There’s nothing about this Bill that really concerns me. It’s seems like the the natural health product industry is the one that’s causing all the hysteria. Bottom line is that this bill will result in a lot more regulation and the industry doesn’t want that so they’re making out to be some law that will put you in jail for life if you take one vitamin caplet.[/quote]

Great avatar!

The problem is that providing proof for a supp is impossible. Sure, you can and should provide a lab analysis that shows the product is legit. Other than that, who can show, for ex, that herbs used in China for 5000 years are not worthless?

[quote]Headhunter wrote:
The problem is that providing proof for a supp is impossible. Sure, you can and should provide a lab analysis that shows the product is legit. Other than that, who can show, for ex, that herbs used in China for 5000 years are not worthless?
[/quote]

Isin’t the problem the claims themselves? Not the products? If the products don’t make health claims, are they exempt from the regs?

[quote]oneils wrote:
Headhunter wrote:

Isin’t the problem the claims themselves? Not the products? If the products don’t make health claims, are they exempt from the regs?

[/quote]

I wouldn’t say exempt. The Government will maintain a list of herbs/vitamins/minerals and other ingredients that must meet regulations. That’s basically how it is now.

I think this will give greater discretionary power to the government to set requirements on ingredients. For example, for any product containing Vit. C the company must provide…and follow the following guidelines…

In moderation this is fine, but with a government used to dealing with big pharma and stringent testing procedures, trying to impose similar requirements on smaller to mid size firms, they would not be able to afford the testing/approval processes.

End result is only big pharma will be able to offer these products, potentially at an excessive cost. This is a worst case scenario, but with strong lobbying from big pharma and discretionary powers with the wrong people, we don’t know what will happen.

Do you really want a scenario when any one industry has that much power in regards to your health? The only thing Big Pharma cares about is its continued existence and massive profits.

I would say that “modern medicine” has done more to put this country into a sad state of affairs in regards to health by fostering a belief that many of people’s medical conditions are genetic and therefore ineveitable and labeling nearly anything and everything a “disease” thereby allowing drugs to treat the problem.

Problem with this is much of this is total and utter bullshit. Putting a spin on people and claiming their victims to their own genetic fate is not only a lie, but criminal in nature and then dangling a rabbit (read : drugs) in front of them that never really address the problem, only manage the symptoms is a travesty.

Suffice to say, it IS possible to be free from heart disease, cancer, hypertension, and myriad of other health conditions. But according to many institutions, they can only be addressed properly with medications. (Which of course is more pharmaceutical horse vomit)