Vit C Dosage

So i’ve come down with the flu since yesterday and was wondering what oral dosage of Vit C is safe to intake. Also any home remedies or anything that will help me get better as fast as possible would be awesome. Any help would be greatly appreciated. This flu is making me miserable all thanks to my piece of shit room mate.

Cheers

i wouldn’t overdo it, 1,0000mg a day is plenty. there are other factors that come in to play with immunity, digestive health is one of them.

[quote]younggully wrote:
i wouldn’t overdo it, 1,0000mg a day is plenty. there are other factors that come in to play with immunity, digestive health is one of them.[/quote]

Yep, 10 THOUSAND mg a day is perfectly fine! Definitely NOT overdoing it! :stuck_out_tongue:

I know you meant 1000, but I couldn’t resist :wink:

[quote]younggully wrote:
i wouldn’t overdo it, 1,0000mg a day is plenty. there are other factors that come in to play with immunity, digestive health is one of them.[/quote]

That’s only 1 gram – that’s not much at all. I take 3 grams a day, every day, sometimes more if I’m sick…

If I remember right, Linus Pauling recommended up to 10 grams a day (10,000 mg). If you’re sick, some people say take vitamin C constantly (take with food only… can be harmful on an empty stomach) up to the point it aggravates your digestive system, then back off… which could mean more than 10 grams. I wouldn’t do that kind of dosing if you’ve never taken C regularly.

C is used for cell repair and healing. I think it’s a cornerstone to any BB supplement program. I’m surprised when I hear people aren’t using it.

Also, if you’re trying to fight off a bug, drink an ocean of fluids. Hot tea is good. I like echinacea but I don’t know if that’s been scientifically proven to work, so make up your own mind on that. Eat a clove of raw garlic with a meal (it burns a little, so take with food). Garlic supposedly stimulates your immune system.

This thread is fail… Raw garlic and 3+ grams of vitamin C. Maybe you should look at why you got sick in the first place, not try something like this when you already come down with symptoms.

I’m not saying that there isn’t an increased need for vit C when sick, but constantly consuming this dose it dumb IMO based on everything I’ve read.

But it’s safe and non-toxic you say? Well sorry but Dr. Lonnie Lowery disagrees with you… [quote]…Vitamin C. As another vitamin with a history of low-toxicity and a correspondingly high “tolerable upper limit” of 2000mg per day, there’s nothing wrong with supplementing a gram or two every day, right? Heck, it’s even water-soluble and therefore more easily excreted.

Unfortunately, there’s more to it. Vitamin C supplementation (500mg for six weeks) has been shown to actually induce pro-oxidant effects in healthy humans, as measured by DNA damage. (31) Very high doses (500mg/kg) in rats cause superoxide radical generation, induce P450 liver enzymes (particularly risky to even moderate drinkers) and, again, DNA damage. (29, 31)…[/quote]

Dr. Lonnie Lowery does present is this article what he calls “The Cyclical Use Theory,” which seems novel, but states that there are better ways to reduce cortisol than to take 1,500 mg of Vit C.

Dr. Lowery In one study that I’ve come across, researchers have found that interfering with free radical metabolism by taking antioxidants may hamper useful adaptations to training and that exercise itself can be considered an antioxidant. That’s right! Vit C was found to reduce training adaptations!

The researchers conclude[quote] “In all likelihood, antioxidant supplements should not be recommended before training as they interfere with muscle cell adaptation”[/quote]

Further, ROS act as signals in exercise because decreasing their formation prevents activation of important signaling pathways that cause useful adaptations in cells. Because these signals result in an upregulation of powerful antioxidant enzymes, exercise itself can be considered an antioxidant.

Physical exercise is a double-edged sword: when practiced strenuously (as in the case of the tour de france) it causes oxidative stress and cell damage; the study says that in this case antioxidants should be given. But when practiced in moderation (of which the definition is not given in the study), it increases the expression of antioxidant enzymes and thus should be considered an antioxidant.

http://tnation.tmuscle.com/free_online_forum/diet_performance_nutrition_supplements/exercise_the_antioxidant_network

**more interesting info here: COMMUNITY - T NATION - The World's Trusted Community for Elite Fitness

The whole antioxidant thing is controversial and the consensus seems to change regularly. First Vitamin E is supposed to be an antioxidant, then they turn around and say it might cause oxidation. I personally think antioxidant supplements are a load of fucking bullshit, and I’ve never bought into the idea of taking any supplements for that reason, but I guess I’ll check back in a year or two, to see what the latest opinions are.

In the meantime, I’ll side with Dr. Pauling and I’ll keep taking Vitamin C… for the purposes I stated: wound healing and cell repair.

[quote]K2000 wrote:
The whole antioxidant thing is controversial and the consensus seems to change regularly. First Vitamin E is supposed to be an antioxidant, then they turn around and say it might cause oxidation. I personally think antioxidant supplements are a load of fucking bullshit, and I’ve never bought into the idea of taking any supplements for that reason, but I guess I’ll check back in a year or two, to see what the latest opinions are.

In the meantime, I’ll side with Dr. Pauling and I’ll keep taking Vitamin C… for the purposes I stated: wound healing and cell repair.[/quote]

That’s the some pretty disjointed logic. You say “[quote]antioxidant supplements are a load of fucking bullshit[/quote]” and then you say you’ll “[quote]I’ll keep taking Vitamin C[/quote].” To me that seems like you shouldn’t be allowed to have a choice in supplementation. maybe codex alimentarius will work out well for you. I mean, it’s fine to disagree with me, and it’s fine to think Vitamin C will have an action in your body separate from the actions shown in labs, but pick a side and support it. Don’t choose to take something, but say you don’t believe in it.

**edit: I re-read and now understand what you meant, but still, if you read the studies, I think it would be pretty hard to believe that Pauling’s research is still relevant.

[quote]K2000 wrote:

In the meantime, I’ll side with Dr. Pauling and I’ll keep taking Vitamin C… for the purposes I stated: wound healing and cell repair.[/quote]

Just FYI: [quote]The Linus Pauling Institute recommends a vitamin C intake of at least 400 mg dailyâ??the amount that has been found to fully saturate plasma and circulating cells with vitamin C in young, healthy nonsmokers (13).[/quote]

to be fair, they give an upper limit of 2,000 mg, but condisering the following,

“[quote]In the past 30 years, numerous placebo-controlled trials have examined the effect of vitamin C supplementation on the prevention and treatment of colds. A meta-analysis of 30 placebo-controlled prevention trials found that vitamin C supplementation in doses up to 2 g/day did not decrease the incidence of colds (41).[/quote],” I don’t see a need to dose close to that level