Visualization?

Has anybody tried to incorporate this training “method”? To me, it sounds like complete and sheer bullshit, but it would do no harm to utilize it to maximize training time whlist I’m public transporting to university.

Visualization for me is always done right before lifts, I think a lot of people can relate to picturing the weight being moved without struggle. Lifting is very mental as well as physical.

I also believe Waterbury wrote an article on visualization or something that briefly talks about it and a study that was performed

Don’t be too quick to write off the power of the mind. Sport psychology is a field of its own. Also, remember Arnold himself used visualization quite a bit. He would see his biceps as ever growing mountains while doing curls.

As was already said, visualization is always helpful, whether it’s done outside of the gym or inside the gym. Personally, I’m not really thinking about my technique when I’m not in the gym, but when I remember and have a good focus, I’ll visualize my technique before performing a set.

[quote]Imen de Naars wrote:
Has anybody tried to incorporate this training “method”? To me, it sounds like complete and sheer bullshit, but it would do no harm to utilize it to maximize training time whlist I’m public transporting to university.[/quote]

If in my 60/90/120 second rest period I sit and visualize the next set instead of wandering to the water fountain, I inevitably lift that much better. It really helps me, especially when I am already close to failure.

[quote]Imen de Naars wrote:
Has anybody tried to incorporate this training “method”? To me, it sounds like complete and sheer bullshit, but it would do no harm to utilize it to maximize training time whlist I’m public transporting to university.[/quote]

Visulization is definitely not bullshit! Whenever you create a new goal(which i hope everyone does) are you not visualising?! Unless your a very auditory or kinesthetic person(which most people aren’t) then visualization is one of the most valuable tools you possess when you are at “A” and you want to get to “B”…ie achieve a goal.

As far as my workouts go, i visualise what i am going to do in my session whilst i am on my way to the gym. The guys who are in the weight room and have no idea what they are going to train even once they are at the gym, clearly have not used visualization. Invariably, they are the ones who make the worst progress.

[quote]elliotnewman1 wrote:
Imen de Naars wrote:
Has anybody tried to incorporate this training “method”? To me, it sounds like complete and sheer bullshit, but it would do no harm to utilize it to maximize training time whlist I’m public transporting to university.

Visulization is definitely not bullshit! Whenever you create a new goal(which i hope everyone does) are you not visualising?! Unless your a very auditory or kinesthetic person(which most people aren’t) then visualization is one of the most valuable tools you possess when you are at “A” and you want to get to “B”…ie achieve a goal.

As far as my workouts go, i visualise what i am going to do in my session whilst i am on my way to the gym. The guys who are in the weight room and have no idea what they are going to train even once they are at the gym, clearly have not used visualization. Invariably, they are the ones who make the worst progress.

[/quote]

Agreed. I am not sure why anyone would write it off as silly when visualization (being able to either see the goal or mentally picture achieving each step towards it) may very well be the key to more people having success in reaching their own goals. Self hypnosis, meditation, or visualization should be viewed as tools useful to many not wastes of time.

Visualization is one of the best training tools that you can use.

Before heavy squats, deads, or benches I will visualize me moving the weight with correct form over and over again. When I get under the weight, it’s as if I have already done it.

You can take visualization out of the gym and add it in to other areas. Back in my k-1 days I used to visualize a fight before it would happen. I would see myself sweeping under the roundhouse or executing correct techniques against an opponent.

You can even visualize the conversation with your boss when you ask for a raise.

This works. You should never even consider writing it off as silly…

I agree. It works great for me. The times I find it especially useful is on the last couple sets of an exercise, or on a more technical lift such as a power clean. I close my eyes and mentally take myself through the lift hitting the number I want to hit. I try to feel it just the way it will happen, not too easy, not too hard, hard enough that I have to push mentally to get it but I do. The next set is usually that much better.

How can visualization be BS… Sit back and think of the last time you were putting up big weight and you had a spotter… Weren’t you able to squeeze out that last rep? And didn’t the guy say… That was all you I just had my hands under it… N

ow granted sometimes that is BS that people say so you don’t get too down on yourself but more often than not it isn’t… See your body is capable of doing a lot more than your mind lets you. You just have to trick your brain into making you do more.

If you mentally prepare yourself for your next set you’ll be able to do the same thing you did when you had a guy stabilizing the bar with his pinkies (why his pinkies… I have no clue) without his help…

Your mind is what gives up on you… when you aren’t mentally prepared you lift like you aren’t physically prepared… This is why some days you can put up 3 reps of twelve with 65% of your 1RM and the next day you cant do 1 rep.
You don’t necessarily need to visualize the weigh either.

For me, I think of myself as a piston that is waiting for the spark. I take three deep breaths envisioning myself pumping up and down (or down and up depending on the exercise) on the third I start my set just like a spark plug went off and a fire just ignited…