T Nation

Visiting Toronto?

I will be visiting Toronto next week and was just wondering if anyone had any tips on good restaurants and good places to be sure to see while I’m there.

I’m tagging along while my husband is at a conference and I know there will be some things already scheduled and I’m not sure how much free time we’ll have, but I was wondering if there are any “must not miss” things to do.

I believe we will be going to the hockey hall of fame one night, which should be cool.

The hotel has a gym, so I should be all set there (hopefully it doesn’t suck). Thanks in advance!

Jilly,

Welcome to the centre of the universe (it’s an old joke that some people here seem to believe)! :slight_smile:

Take a look at this website, it’s pretty good.

Sorry I can’t give much for specific recommendation since my wife and I don’t get to eat out much so it makes any restaurant seem great!

The Hockey Hall of Fame is pretty good, some interactive games to enjoy. Do you know why the Hockey Hall of Fame is in Toronto?

It’s the only way the city could get the Stanley Cup. (LEAFS SUCK!!!)

As for other entertainment/ attractions (again I’m not out much), but of course there is the CN Tower. There is a fine dining restaurant (called 360 degrees)near the top, it is standard fine dining but you get your admission to the tower for free.

If you do go there reserve a table by the window, if it’s a clear night you can see fairly far as it revolves. Of course the time I went it was foggy and I couldn’t see a thing.

[quote]Ruggerlife wrote:
Jilly,

Welcome to the centre of the universe (it’s an old joke that some people here seem to believe)! :slight_smile:

Take a look at this website, it’s pretty good.

Sorry I can’t give much for specific recommendation since my wife and I don’t get to eat out much so it makes any restaurant seem great!

The Hockey Hall of Fame is pretty good, some interactive games to enjoy. Do you know why the Hockey Hall of Fame is in Toronto?

It’s the only way the city could get the Stanley Cup. (LEAFS SUCK!!!)

As for other entertainment/ attractions (again I’m not out much), but of course there is the CN Tower. There is a fine dining restaurant (called 360 degrees)near the top, it is standard fine dining but you get your admission to the tower for free.

If you do go there reserve a table by the window, if it’s a clear night you can see fairly far as it revolves. Of course the time I went it was foggy and I couldn’t see a thing.[/quote]
I’m going to Toronto in two weeks. What about good restaurants? I want to eat.

[quote]themonthofjun wrote:
[/quote]

Sorry no eating allowed.

As I said, I don’t get out to eat much in Toronto (partly because I commute in and don’t live here), but post some of your preferred types of restaurants ie. steakhouse, italian, thai, etc…(Jilly you should too) because there are a fair amount of choices.

The link I posted previously has a good list of the eating options. If you post your preferences someone (hopefully) can make some suggestions.

Thanks, Ruggerlife! I don’t get out much either, so I know what you mean! Honestly, I’m just looking forward to being kid-free (sleeping in!), working out, visiting the spa and using the sauna/steam and pool.

I’ll check that link you posted. :slight_smile:

I highly recommend the following restaurants:

Canoe - awesome atmosphere with unsurpassed views of city and lake, very good food and the donut hole dessert with chocolate dipping sauce is tremendous.

Blowfish - small (reservation required) funky restaurant. Best sushi I’ve ever had.

Both have very good wine lists. I like Toronto, but the homeless are everywhere and the traffic sucks.

DB

Just a word of warning: be sure to bring your polar bear repellant.

As you know it’s summer in the arctic, which means that the polar bears are no longer hibernating. They’re everywhere in downtown TO.

Also, be sure to pack plenty of warm clothing, because summer blizzards are to be taken seriously.

[quote]David Barr wrote:
Just a word of warning: be sure to bring your polar bear repellant.

As you know it’s summer in the arctic, which means that the polar bears are no longer hibernating. They’re everywhere in downtown TO.

[/quote]

Dave, you have been away far too long. This summer for tourist season, the city has commissioned some Newfies to hunt baby seals. these carcases are then distributed around the city limits nightly to draw the polar bears away.

So far it’s working fairly well except for some one-legged woman [b]dancing[/b] through the streets screaming the blight of the baby seals.

[quote]dollarbill44 wrote:
I highly recommend the following restaurants:

Canoe - awesome atmosphere with unsurpassed views of city and lake, very good food and the donut hole dessert with chocolate dipping sauce is tremendous.

Blowfish - small (reservation required) funky restaurant. Best sushi I’ve ever had.

Both have very good wine lists. I like Toronto, but the homeless are everywhere and the traffic sucks.

DB[/quote]

Now we’re talking.

[quote]Ruggerlife wrote:
themonthofjun wrote:

Sorry no eating allowed.

As I said, I don’t get out to eat much in Toronto (partly because I commute in and don’t live here), but post some of your preferred types of restaurants ie. steakhouse, italian, thai, etc…(Jilly you should too) because there are a fair amount of choices.

The link I posted previously has a good list of the eating options. If you post your preferences someone (hopefully) can make some suggestions.[/quote]

Hhaha, it was lunchtime and I was hungry.

I especially love Italian and Thai. If there are good Indian restaurants I’ll bite too. I looked at the link you posted and the food choices were good. I’ll a look at them again when I get home.
Thanks for the link Ruggerlife.

[quote]Jillybop wrote:
I will be visiting Toronto next week and was just wondering if anyone had any tips on good restaurants and good places to be sure to see while I’m there.

I’m tagging along while my husband is at a conference and I know there will be some things already scheduled and I’m not sure how much free time we’ll have, but I was wondering if there are any “must not miss” things to do.

I believe we will be going to the hockey hall of fame one night, which should be cool.

The hotel has a gym, so I should be all set there (hopefully it doesn’t suck). Thanks in advance!

[/quote]

Jillibop: There are so many places to eat so I’ll list just a few great choices, assuming you are staying right downtown:

1. On the south side of King St. West across from the Holiday Inn on King, look for THE RED TOMATO, then go downstairs and check out FRED’S NOT HERE. Great atmosphere (dark and romantic) and super food.

Honestly, some of the best restaurants in TO are along the small stretch of King West on either side of the RED TOMATO. There’s another one called ST. TROPAZ and I think another called MILAN. Plus some of them have roof top patio’s, very nice.

1. IL FORNELLO is another popular spot, they do great pizza’s, they are all over TO. Whole wheat thin crust with chicken and herb’s kind of thing. Picture Starbuck’s does pizza and that’s the atmospere.

2. Another great place to eat and walk around is Bloor West Village. It’s about 15 minutes from downtown and actually has trees and kids, unlike the concrete jungle downtown. Trendy shops, cafe’s and great shopping, good for an afternoon.

Hope this helps. Enjoy your stay.

My favorites are:
Kensington Kitchen - Middle eastern -reasonably priced - 299 Wallace Ave.(South of Bloor & East of Spadina)

Myth - Greek Food -417 Danforth Ave

Sushi on Bloor - 515 Bloor St West

Yamato Japanese Restaurant - they cook right in front of you and its yummy! 24 Bellair Street (North of Bloor and West of Yonge)

Saigon Sister - Vietnamese - Affordable and yummy - 774 Yonge st. (South of Bloor)

As far as things to do:
Westin Habour hotel roof top restaurant (Tula) - If you can afford it you could eat there or you could go for coffee & dessert. You get a great view of the harbour front and lake. Just make sure you go at off hours (mid-afternoon during a weekday).

Royal ontario museum (ROM) - they have an ancient peru exhibit on now 'til Aug. 6 - Friday nights after 4pm are free.

Art gallery of Ontario (AGO)-it might still be under renovations. It would be open but wouldn’t have its normal setup.

Second city - currently playing “Tip of the Melting Iceberg”

Boat tour of the harbour & Toronto island start from Queen’s quay. There is a small amusement park on the island.

Eaton’s centre if you want to shop (Yonge & Dundas)

If you have time I suggest you go to Niagara-on-the-lake region and have a wine tour. Its about an hour and a half from Toronto by car.

As far a there being a lot of homeless, I would say for the size of the city there is less than you would find in other cities of the same size. I felt safe walking around and taking the subway alone after midnight.

[quote]BoomBoom wrote:

Jillibop: There are so many places to eat so I’ll list just a few great choices, assuming you are staying right downtown:

1. On the south side of King St. West across from the Holiday Inn on King, look for THE RED TOMATO, then go downstairs and check out FRED’S NOT HERE. Great atmosphere (dark and romantic) and super food.

Honestly, some of the best restaurants in TO are along the small stretch of King West on either side of the RED TOMATO. There’s another one called ST. TROPAZ and I think another called MILAN. Plus some of them have roof top patio’s, very nice.

1. IL FORNELLO is another popular spot, they do great pizza’s, they are all over TO. Whole wheat thin crust with chicken and herb’s kind of thing. Picture Starbuck’s does pizza and that’s the atmospere.

2. Another great place to eat and walk around is Bloor West Village. It’s about 15 minutes from downtown and actually has trees and kids, unlike the concrete jungle downtown. Trendy shops, cafe’s and great shopping, good for an afternoon.

Hope this helps. Enjoy your stay.

[/quote]

It helps me. I go to Toronto every couple of months on business and good restaurants are always appreciated.

DB

[quote]themonthofjun wrote:
Ruggerlife wrote:
themonthofjun wrote:

Sorry no eating allowed.

The link I posted previously has a good list of the eating options. If you post your preferences someone (hopefully) can make some suggestions.

Hhaha, it was lunchtime and I was hungry.

I especially love Italian and Thai. If there are good Indian restaurants I’ll bite too. I looked at the link you posted and the food choices were good. I’ll a look at them again when I get home.
Thanks for the link Ruggerlife.
[/quote]

Salad King at Yonge/Dundas is a great Thai restaurant with something like 15 different levels of spiciness

If you plan on going up the CN tower do yourself a favour and plan on eating elsewhere – the restaurant sucks and you will only feel like you got ripped off.

It really depends on what you are looking for and your location.

If you are looking to chill and enjoy the weather I would recommend:

• the Beaches (Queen St streetcar east, about 15 minutes from Yonge) - lots of shops, beach front, restaurants

• Harbourfront (subway to Union station, streetcar to Queens Quay) - walk west

• High Park - lots of greens and gardens, small zoo - you can walk south to the lakeshore to hook up with Harbourfront or walk a little further west to Bloor West Village (my 'hood) where there are a bunch of nice shops and restaurants, largely Ukrainian

Pick up a copy of Toronto Now (or visit online) for a list of events

*** & Please! As mentioned, Beware of the polar bears this time of year!***

My favorite place in TO for a great meal:

http://www.jacquesbistro.com/

It is one story up. If you are looking for it on the street you might miss it.

Plan on walking and shopping in nearby “Yorkville”.

If you’re into the real high-end restaurants and shopping, you can also check out the Yorkville area. You can always catch celebrities there.

[quote]Scotacus wrote:
If you plan on going up the CN tower do yourself a favour and plan on eating elsewhere – the restaurant sucks and you will only feel like you got ripped off.[/quote]

Thank you.

Thanks so much for all the great tips, guys!!

[quote]Eleni wrote:
Westin Habour hotel roof top restaurant (Tula) - If you can afford it you could eat there or you could go for coffee & dessert. You get a great view of the harbour front and lake. Just make sure you go at off hours (mid-afternoon during a weekday).
[/quote]

That’s our hotel! According to the website:
The WestinWORKOUT Powered by Reebok Gym overlooks the picturesque Toronto Islands and provides access to a sundeck and outdoor tennis court.
So maybe the gym and our room will have good views, too.