T Nation

Visceral Fat Normal for Bulking?

I think I may have accumulated a fair amount of visceral fat during my 2 year bulking phase because when I relax my abdominal muscles completely my belly doesn’t lie flat, it hangs out, and it isn’t an excess of subcutaneous fat that’s causing this effect, I can tell it’s under the muscle wall itself.

Now the question I’ve got is: can you bulk without gaining the unhealthy visceral fat? And if so does this have to do with cleanliness of diet? Because of long hours at work I find that I rely heavily on fast food, so maybe that’s the culprit, but I’m not sure at all. I don’t know anything about diet other than getting protein and carbs and plenty of calories.

Uh, whose stomach muscles lie completely flat without any flexing of that muscle group at all? Most people who are in any way weight lifting or athletic usually maintain some tone of their abdominal muscles when standing.

That doesn’t mean that if they completely relaxed that their stomach wouldn’t stick out at all. You wouldn’t know how much visceral fat you had anyway unless extensive tests were run before and after or someone cut you open.

Some of you read information, and then because you are only partially informed, go on and form entire streams of thought around these partial bits of info. Your stomach sticking out a little does NOT indicate visceral fat gain.

Visceral bodyfat is generally a function of genetics. Theres not much you can do to control where your body stores fat.

http://www.newstarget.com/021412.html

Pretty interesting stuff. Most fast food is very high in trans fat, so I try to avoid the stuff. And when I do have to eat at a fast food place, I don’t order the fries as they’re normally the biggest culprit.

[quote]Professor X wrote:
You wouldn’t know how much visceral fat you had anyway unless extensive tests were run before and after or someone cut you open.

Some of you read information, and then because you are only partially informed, go on and form entire streams of thought around these partial bits of info. Your stomach sticking out a little does NOT indicate visceral fat gain. [/quote]

What? It’s pretty easy to pinch your stomach and tell how much fat is above the muscle. If your belt size is going way up and you are not carrying much subcutaneous fat - it’s visceral.

Are you drinking pop with your fast food meals? Are you drinking a lot of alcohol? The liver likes to dump out fat into your visceral stores. Trans fat is no good either, and can increase your insulin resistance. Are you taking fish oil?

[quote]HoratioSandoval wrote:
Professor X wrote:
You wouldn’t know how much visceral fat you had anyway unless extensive tests were run before and after or someone cut you open.

Some of you read information, and then because you are only partially informed, go on and form entire streams of thought around these partial bits of info. Your stomach sticking out a little does NOT indicate visceral fat gain.

What? It’s pretty easy to pinch your stomach and tell how much fat is above the muscle. If your belt size is going way up and you are not carrying much subcutaneous fat - it’s visceral.

[/quote]

Wow. Don’t EVER treat another human being for any physical malady. Let’s just rule out food consumption, rate of evacuation, growth of muscle mass and maturity of growth in someone as most kids don’t have the same waist sizes as full grown adults.

[quote]Mike_West wrote:
Because of long hours at work I find that I rely heavily on fast food,
[/quote]

Sorry, dude, but that is a lame excuse. There are so many GOOD food options that take minimal preparation you can pack to work. No Fridge? Pack a cooler. Tuna cans and bread. Cook 10 chicken breasts in the oven and take a couple, refrigerate the rest. Take a protien bar for a snack.

There is, in my opinion, NO reason to eat shit.

Cueball

This post was flagged by the community and is temporarily hidden.