[quote]WestCoast7 wrote:
Anybody know why VCO is considered very inflammatory? [/quote]

Citation? That doesn’t seem right. [/quote]

http://nutritiondata.self.com/facts/fats-and-oils/508/2

[quote]therajraj wrote:

[quote]WestCoast7 wrote:

source?

I’ll preemptively say it gets a lot of undeserved negative press because it’s high in saturated fats.[/quote]

And because all the samples that say it’s bad are based off the hydrogenated, not the virgin, versions.
Also, I lollerd at the coc. oil abbreviation.

[quote]WestCoast7 wrote:

[quote]grettiron wrote:

[quote]WestCoast7 wrote:

http://nutritiondata.self.com/facts/fats-and-oils/508/2[/quote]

Hmm that’s almost comically inflammatory. Really don’t buy just a number without any further details. My skin is super-sensitive to shitty food and I have no problems with a TBSP or two of VCO per day. Maybe this is for refined CO?

I rub it on chicken breast with a bunch of onion/garlic seasoning, and use it in when I make my mashed potatoes.

[quote]WestCoast7 wrote:

I think Sat Fats are inherently inflammatory…MCTs might have different characteristics, but that is how I always understood it.

Still, I’d imagine the benefits of moderate use outweigh inflammatory effect it might have.

[quote]grettiron wrote:

[quote]WestCoast7 wrote:

[quote]grettiron wrote:

[quote]WestCoast7 wrote:

Hmm that’s almost comically inflammatory. Really don’t buy just a number without any further details. My skin is super-sensitive to shitty food and I have no problems with a TBSP or two of VCO per day. Maybe this is for refined CO?[/quote]

Yea my skin is the same way (do you eat olive oil? how’s your skin with that?), and I eat a decent amount of virgin, unrefined coconut oil.

I’ve just seen in numerous places that it’s inflammatory, and was wondering why. I was thinking that same thing PV about MCT’s, and wanted to see if anybody new more about that.

Either way, I’m not giving up my VCO.

[quote]WestCoast7 wrote:

[quote]grettiron wrote:

[quote]WestCoast7 wrote:

[quote]grettiron wrote:

[quote]WestCoast7 wrote:

Hmm that’s almost comically inflammatory. Really don’t buy just a number without any further details. My skin is super-sensitive to shitty food and I have no problems with a TBSP or two of VCO per day. Maybe this is for refined CO?[/quote]

Yea my skin is the same way (do you eat olive oil? how’s your skin with that?), and I eat a decent amount of virgin, unrefined coconut oil.

I’ve just seen in numerous places that it’s inflammatory, and was wondering why. I was thinking that same thing PV about MCT’s, and wanted to see if anybody new more about that.

Either way, I’m not giving up my VCO.[/quote]

Haha I’m not giving mine up either! I don’t eat a whole lot of EVOO because it doesn’t sit too well with my guts. If I had 2 TBSP of EVOO per day things would probably get messy.

[quote]Spidey22 wrote:

[quote]BONEZ217 wrote:
Its not bad on a salad.

Mixing it with fruit and yogurt is ok too.

Putting some on a tablespoon and just drinking it straight is for sure the easiest route though. Not my prefernce though. [/quote]

Ohh wait, do you let yours melt?? The type I buy is unrefined and all, but it’s solid.[/quote]

I have a gas stove. I leave the container on the stove in the middle of the four burners. The heat from the burner flames below is enough to keep it liquid all year round.

Scramble your eggs in 2 TBls of EV coconut oil, and 1 Tbl of EVOO…best thing I’ve ever put in my mouth

[quote]LifeIsABeach wrote:

[quote]Spidey22 wrote:

[quote]BONEZ217 wrote:
Its not bad on a salad.

Mixing it with fruit and yogurt is ok too.

Putting some on a tablespoon and just drinking it straight is for sure the easiest route though. Not my prefernce though. [/quote]

Ohh wait, do you let yours melt?? The type I buy is unrefined and all, but it’s solid.[/quote]

I have a gas stove. I leave the container on the stove in the middle of the four burners. The heat from the burner flames below is enough to keep it liquid all year round.[/quote]

I keep mine near my radiator

i finally brought some coconut oil and much to my surprise and disappointment it reeks. ew. i mean, i love the smell and taste of coconut quite generally but this shit really reeks like something else.

if the stuff you guys are getting deodorized or something?

mine is unprocessed fijian.

It’s not that inflammatory. The link posted is for a huge ass serving size like over 200g or 1 cup.

If you change the serving size to 2 TBSP for example, it’s much much lower.

btw- what’s the difference between regular and the VCO?

or maybe there is something odd with my sense of smell in this. come to think of it there was this chick i used to know in uni who was beautiful but i thought she smelled really bad. she was indian… it was obviously some oil or something that i just thought smelled really rather foul.

coconut oil. i found it.

but then… when i was a kid this coconut oil (mineral oil? with coconut scent? not sure. popular in the pacific islands but made white peoples skin fry, rather) was really popular to put on to help you fry / tan at the beach. and that stuff smelled WONDERFUL. guess i kinda envisaged the coconut oil to smell like that :frowning:

besides, in the end, if you balance your fat from various sources you’ll be fine.

[quote]jehovasfitness wrote:
btw- what’s the difference between regular and the VCO?[/quote]

Same issue as olive oil I guess, is it really extra virgin? Find a supplier you trust etc

Below may interest you.

The Asian and Pacific Coconut Community (APCC), whose 17 members produce about 90% of the coconut sold commercially, has published its standards for virgin coconut oil (virgin coconut oil is obtained by fresh, mature coconut kernel through means which do not lead to alteration

http://www.apccsec.org/document/VCNO.PDF

i use it for scrambled eggs baked sweet potatoes and shakes like has already been stated.
for skin and hair it’s great, imo.
i plan to use it even more since i’m reading the book “the coconut oil miracle” by bruce fife. it has great info. a lot of it seems over the top but what he says about medium chain fatty acids and caprylic acid i think is true.

[quote]alexus wrote:
i finally brought some coconut oil and much to my surprise and disappointment it reeks. ew. i mean, i love the smell and taste of coconut quite generally but this shit really reeks like something else.

if the stuff you guys are getting deodorized or something?

mine is unprocessed fijian.[/quote]

If you got virgin, unrefined coconut oil, there is no way that it should smell bad. Any brand of virgin, unrefined coconut oil is going to smell straight up awesome.

You either got the wrong stuff, or get coconut oil that is very processed.

[quote]sdjohn67 wrote:
[/quote]

From consuming or from applying directly onto?

[quote]WestCoast7 wrote:

[quote]sdjohn67 wrote:
[/quote]

From consuming or from applying directly onto?[/quote]

They sell the refined kind for this specific purpose I’m pretty sure. Not sure if the unrefined kind changes things.

[quote]therajraj wrote:

[quote]WestCoast7 wrote:

[quote]sdjohn67 wrote:
[/quote]

From consuming or from applying directly onto?[/quote]

They sell the refined kind for this specific purpose I’m pretty sure. Not sure if the unrefined kind changes things.[/quote]

Refining it basically takes out most of the beneficial elements though.