Vinny's Strongman Log II

Front squat…uhm, ridiculous.

1 Like

Agreed. Honestly, arm wrestling is just interesting in general and is kind of fun to just do accessory work for every now and then. I loathe doing curls, but find doing some top roll work or heavy hook position rope curls aren’t so bad every now and then.

2 Likes

Yes, even I have to admit I am not sure how I managed that given recent circumstances lol.

1/30/19

Back Squat
135x5,8,5
225x5
315x5
315x3
315x3
315x3

Tire…FLIPS: have not touched the tire since I tore my calf last year…big day mentally here.

I took it out in the dark, on the grass, which was muddy as shit. Also 36 degrees out so my hands were numb trying to find a spot on the tire to get my hands under. After a few failed attempts, sliding, and failing to get a firm grip, I flipped the fucker.

In one set with no rest and constant regripping/sliding in mud I flipped it a total of 10 times. Probably took 8-10 minutes to do. None of the flips were that hard as far as the weight goes. It weighs around 685lbs completely empty - not full of water and…dead birds or whatever else.

High Bar Close Stance Squat (heels elevated, not locking out reps)
185x15
185x15
225x15
225x15
225x15
225x20+ well this was painful. I was worried about my knees for this but they seem fine. Blew the quads up big time.

Planks
Bw x 60s
Bw x 60s
Bw x 60s
Bw x 60s

I feel really good about the tire today. Flared up my SI a bit which is poop but almost consoling to feel pain in the lower back not related to my disks which have been an issue since around September of last year. (lol, yes, this is fucked finding solace in more pain, albeit another kind, somehow it’s welcoming. I’m… insane.)

6 Likes

Holy shit i remember that

@duketheslaya yes good times.

2/1/19

Bench Press
135x5
185x5
225x5
275x3
300x5
300x5
290x5

Paused Incline Bench (wide grip) SS with RDL
135x10/225x15
185x10/225x15
205x10/225x15
215x10/225x15

Incline Seal Row SS with Pull Ups
40x12/x10
40x12/x12
40x15/x12
40x10/x12

Planks
+50lbs x 60s
+50lbs x failure
+50lbs x failure

1 Like

Strange Superset. Nonetheless you are strong as an Ox.

So is this where all the strongmen congregate? @strongmanvinny2 @strongmanbrett

About how much does one of those big tires you guys flip weigh? As you’re lifting the one end up, about how much does it feel like you’re lifting? And what is it from? Is it a tractor tire? Would love to try it.

1 Like

Shhhh, don’t tell anyone we’re in here!

I “own” a 685lb tire which was used on a large earthmover. It feels like a heavy front squat for the first 2 inches off the floor, then a deadlift somewhere along the way, and then a power clean and/or bicep curl bench press box jump extravaganza.

Seriously, they’re awesome. Very different from anything you’d find at a regular gym. Totally try it whenever you get a chance.

2 Likes

A tractor tire feels very different from a truck or earth mover tire. It takes a very wide tractor tire to weigh as much, so by the time it’s heavy enough to be a challenge it’s almost too wide to be able to effectively flip.

1 Like

While being nowhere near a 500+Lb Deadlift I was able to flip a 515lb tire for a few reps. Like Vinny said it feels like a heavy front squat right off the floor then it’s just a mess of however you feel confident pushing it over lol.

1 Like

Damn, I wasn’t expecting them to weigh that much lol. Really enjoyed the lulzy descriptions, thanks. Hopefully the thing doesn’t crush me if I ever get a chance to give it a go, seems like fun tho.

1 Like

They aren’t all that heavy, most strongman gyms will have various sizes which will be different weights. Just start on a baby one

2 Likes

2/5/19 - bw 223, focused really hard on upper body and lower mobility. My right ankle seems to have a boney blockage stopping me from getting my shin past perpendicular when I squat or try to push my knee over my toes. I tried to use a heavy band but it’s clear a bone or ligament stopped up due to perhaps injury or just my fucked up body. Not sure.

Push Jerks (attempted wider grip)
135x5,8
225x5,3
belt on
275x5
285x3 pushing pretty much only with left leg, need to work on this.
300x3 didn’t lock out the first rep with right arm since it got in front. Counted the rep anyway since it wasn’t a strength issue.
315x1 smooth, can’t quite grasp why it was easier than 300, but it was.
brought grip in one inch
315x1 yeah, way easier. Logically speaking a wider grip would be better considering I have jacked up shoulders. :man_shrugging:
315x fail, this seemed like a strength issue. Check out my press from july of last year. 4 sets of 5 with 315. Insane. My press fluctuates so much it’s crazy, I wish I knew why!
315x1 better, again not sure why.

I want to subscribe to the idea that a bigger front squat means a bigger overhead, but it might not be true. I’m at an impasse wondering if I put on too much mass on my lats and it’s impeded my ability to press properly. Then again it has been a long time since push jerking. I take my overhead strengh for granted at times.

265x3 okay, leg drive=not available. Everything feels off today, can’t call it here though, stubborn.
belt off, wrist wraps off
265x3 very easy, felt more stable, felt more upright, felt stronger, wtf?
ok wrist wraps back on cause it fucking hurts
265x3 omg feels amazing beltless, fuck a belt
265x3
265x3 leg drive is feeling lacking at this point.
250x3
250x3 closer grip is SO much better, just gonna stick with it
250x3 same as top.

above sets took over an hour.

Incline Bench
95x8
135x8
185x5
225x5
225x5
225x4 failed on 5. boy is it easy to save yourself from failing on incline as opposed to flat.
205x5 barely got 5.
205x5

I wanted 5x5 with 225 but my press in general needs major work. Something I found interesting was the fact that I unintentionally lowered the weight to my chest very slow and actually paused briefly at my chest which I do not normally do. I usually pause an inch or two above but my pecs, primarily the tendon of the pec minor got hella pumped, which is something I never felt before. Perhaps a reason as to why I tore my pec multiple times (once floor pressing, once flat benching 225 for reps).

Out of curiosity, I measured my wing span and welp…bit surprised. I’m 5’9" and my wing span is 6’1" 3/4. I’m a shitty deadlifter and my arms are long as fuck. Bahahaha. I love it.

Skipping shoulder work because my joints are hurting in the upper body and my back is sitting on a fine line of injured and healing, so I don’t need to compromise my arms or shoulders.

Banded Rotator Cuff stuff (horizontal)
x15
x15
x15
x25
x25

Banded Rotator (vertical)
x15
x15
x15
x15
x15

2 Likes

My press fluctuates too:/ shitty feeling. Since I use a push jerk technique I find when I rush into things after taking a break from it then it all goes to hell. I’ve been using this thing I took from an article on here called “Beast Building” it was the portion called Muscle Skill Acquisition .
It’s helped me move right back into push jerking with ease.
It’s at just the sweet spot in percentages to where I can work my form and strength. Give it a glance.

1 Like

Interesting. Thanks for that, I’ll check it out man.

1 Like

Insane volume and weights in that overhead session mate. No wonder shoulders were fried. Quality

Thanks. The goal was just to force tons of practice in. It wasn’t really challenging physically since I was pretty fresh for each set, but the skin on my collar bone and my wrists were starting to take a beating plus I kinda just got bored. Really it was quality work though, will try to get more sessions in like that in the future. I feel like I actually gleaned something lol.

1 Like

2/8/19 - bw 226, so I was doing some forearm/bicep stuff last workout and i felt a strange slip in my bicep that involved zero pain or discomfort and i continued training biceps with literally zero problems at all. I noticed later small bruising forming by the muscles insertion to the tendon. Yikes. 3 days later or so, there’s a noticeable bruise about the size of a penny in said spot. Partial bicep tear? Guess so…?

Back Squat
55x8,15
135x5
225x5
315x3
365x10
405x10 felt better than 365, think I wasn’t really warmed up enough or something.
405x10 think I did my back whatever justice I could by really lowering down slow with intent and not trying to rebound or anything.

Slow Descent Front Squats (raised heels)
185x15
185x15
185x10
185x10
185x10

Planks
+50lbs x failure
+50lbs x failure
bw x failure
bw x failure

Did a bunch of prehab and mobility exercises after this.

4 Likes

Just when I think I am working hard, you show me the way again. Nice work man

1 Like

2/11/19 - bw 224

Push Jerks
135x5,5,5
185x3
225x3
275x3
315x1 perfect, no press out, zero effort spent, how it should be every time
300x2
300x2
300x2
300x2

stray dog came onto my property and i spent about an hour trying to figure out what to do with it before he ran off. It ended up running off randomly and i got kind of pissed off over it for some reason. No one could take it, god animal laws with vet clinics and shit are annoying. Hope that pupper is okay.

Came in the AM to finish the workout…

2/12/19

Push Jerks (again)
135x3,3,5
185x3
225x3 god i’m tired. I either don’t remember how this set went from being tired or i’m just so strong it doesn’t even register on my body ( :slight_smile: )
275x2 absolutely gelatinous
315x2 solid
315x3 each rep was actually good. Not too bad.
285x4 - pretty lazy and all pressed out. Seems to be an issue of arm length and ankle mobility. In order to catch it better I need more ankle mobility to get in a lower position. This would accommodate for the distance the axle has to travel with my exceptionally long arms.
285x3 - learned something from this set. Misgrooving reps starts mostly from not popping at the right time. I need to accelerate my leg drive as I push post-dip (of knees). Instead of popping too fast or late, getting it just right seems to make for an effortless press. And yeah, I knew this but didn’t realize it was an issue at this point in my press.

Shoulders and elbows hurt.

High Incline Bench (semi-close grip)
185x8
225x3 was going to try 8 but i wasn’t even good for 5.
185x8 sub 200 working weight for 350+ presser :sob:
185x8
185x8 failure
was a time when I had a stronger bench/incline/strict press but my push jerk was weaker than it is now significantly, just goes to show that certain things don’t necessarily indicate the progression of other things.

Laterals
x15
x10
x10
x10
x10

RC work and called the session. Upper body is pretty zapped from two days in a row of pressing.

3 Likes