Vinny's Strongman Log II

(I still hate yoke, fuck you, yoke)

2 Likes

10/31/17 - haven’t touched a single stone at all in training which is mostly dumb but oh well, i have slick stones and no tacky to use today to mimic stone of steel.

Stones no tacky (lap to full extension mimicing over-bar load)
175x5,5+random shouldering
250x3,3,3
320x1
320x3
320x3 lapping it is pretty easy but my hands start to slip on the extension

Feels good to touch a stone before nationals. Felt casual and I’m hoping to get at least a few reps on the stupid stone of steel. Time to shower with stone rash.

3 Likes

Have you ever done this with much success? It makes a lot of sense, I’m just curious how it fit in. Like would you use it as conditioning, a finisher, or a “recovery” session? Also, curious where the hell you’d go to do it. Really hoping you just go walk a mile down the block and back on the side walk with a full fucking yoke on your back.

1 Like

No, I would do like 100 foot walks or sprints with a light weight and maybe 3-5 sets with 3-5 min of rest. Give or take a bit on some of the parameters but yeah. Can maybe do like a mile walk with an empty yoke or something…I’ve done it with 270lbs and I almost died. Not really smart LOL

3 Likes

11/7/17 - Bw 226 bicep has been very strange since i did stones…just doesn’t feel good. Tends to happen with stones and no tacky, or stones of steel. This brings me to mention the fact that stone of steel is THE dumbest event to be introduced to strongman since bar bending in the 80’s. Throw away safety for an easier clean up in your gym or venue? STUPID. I can’t do a stone over 300lbs with no tacky without my biceps being fucking traumatized for over a week.

Log Clean and Press
worked up to 200 before both biceps felt like they had pins being driven through the center of the muscle belly. Great familiar feeling.

Log (out of rack)
200x5,3,3 all split herks
250x1 so i will say that if i get a maximum capacity belly breath, it’ll make me almost pass out but if i take a half breath i feel much more stable walking it out and then pressing it.
Log fell to the floor after the first rep.
250x5 split jerks
270x1
270x6 good

Sandbag (no warm up just walked up to the 260 and carried it as far as i could)
260x275ft PR :slight_smile:

2 Likes

11/12/17 - BACK FROM NATIONALS, and what a fucking weekend it has been. Easily the best contest experience I had, not just as far as placing goes, but the people I met and got to compete along side with. Truly incredible.

Met Brian Alsruhe (@Alpha) and his entire crew from Neversate, including Nicolai Meyers and Jeff Kryglik. Brian was exactly how you’d expect him to be in person…turned up x1000. Super passionate about WHAT EVER he is doing, whether it is helping anyone out with small things like chalking up or being there for someone who’s having a serious health crisis. His team showed nothing short of that as well.

Anyway, I came into this pretty much defeated already. My training leading up (all 7 months of it unfortunately) was a complete travesty to any training I had done previously. Just depressing and lacking direction. I was sure I’d either injure myself, or just flop completely. I do regret not having worked harder for this and not believing more in myself, even when others in my life did for me.

I had a good talk with Ben Woods. This fucking guy…the definition of resilience. I won’t list off the horrors this man has endured and continues to, but just talking to him and then watching him go out there and give it his all brought me to tears. He turned my entire weekend around and showed me what passion truly fucking looks like.

Tl;DR: Lil write up

Log: 280 for 4 cleans and 4 presses in 60 seconds. A good finish, considering SO many middleweights zero’d this.

Frame Deadlift: 720 for 12 reps in 60 seconds. Middle of the pack, but wasn’t sure if I’d zero it cause the most I had deadlifted on a frame was 690 in 2014 for a super slow single. Made a mistake though by pulling two fast on one of the reps and not resetting. I likely could have squeezed in a 13th rep had this not happened.

Husafell Stone: 350lb stone for ~290 feet. First time touching a hus stone. Pretty decent distance, winner got around 400 feet. Insane.

Yoke: 720 over 60 feet in 12 seconds. Fucked up BAD here. As soon as I picked it, it felt so light that I started sprinting, and I remember feeling the weight push me forward and I knew I was going to drop it. Costed me a few seconds. Very mad about this. I had bad training on this (really bad) but I do remember Brian telling me I’d be good at this. He definitely got me out of my head and into a better place. 700+ never felt so light and I’m happy for that.

Stone of Steel over 52" max reps in 60 seconds: 310 for 5 reps. Didnt touch a stone of steel at all until I got called up. No warm ups. Killed it though. I missed one load by not finishing the extension (rushed it) and it costed me a rep. Would have easily done 6.

Took 17th out of 70 or so guys in the MW 231’s. Missed an arnold invite by 2 placings but that’s okay. I made 3 small mistakes that added up and literally hijacked a top 10 (or in this case top 15 for arnold invite). It’s totally okay, though. Humbled by my mistakes but also invigorated at how well I did from a personal stand point and not even comparing myself to others. Excited to train again :slight_smile:

(also tired of being 230lbs and ready to cut back down to 215 and not be a fat fuck)

10 Likes

This is so great! Pumped from just reading your write up. I am truly happy for you and I am glad that you had such an amazing experience.
Your performance was insane!

P.s.: I hope you got a few videos?

Of course I got a video! I’m so jet lagged and sick that it’s taking me so long to do basic tasks. Tonight it’ll be up.

1 Like
6 Likes

Congratulations man! Sounds like you had a great time and you did well.

1 Like

HAHAHAHA, I love the face I made on the frame deadlift, had to make that my pic.

Thanks man!

1 Like

Loved reading this, massive well done mate and a big thanks for sharing. Quality

1 Like

Thanks!

The scoresheet for all MW men (<200lbs and <231lbs)

2 Likes

Btw, if I remember correctly, top 3 in the 231’s turned pro. Unreal.

I recounted and my placement was 17th and not 18th. Not that it matters but I’ll take it.

3 Likes

11/18/17 - I HAVE RETURNED…from the flu…and nationals. Bw 226 still a bit sick.

Strict Press
45x8,5
95x5,10
135x10
185x10
185x10

BTH Press
135x8
135x6
135x6
drop set
115x9
75x16 rest pause ,x13
65x15
45x30
45x15 tricep pain, cant move shoulders

In-rack Axle Shrugs (reset each rep off pins)
275x15
275x20
275x15
275x15

Face Pull
x15
x15
x15
x15
x15

2 Likes

Huge congrats man. 17th at Nationals is extremely impressive. Awesome video too.

1 Like

Thank you! Means a lot hearing that man.

11/20/17 - Bw 226 took it very light on squats today as they tend to get me the most sore out of anything and quite frankly i need a big ass taper this time around. Also I added in some nightly walks to help with the cut. Aiming to get back to around 215-220.

Pull Ups to Burpees Circuit
x8/x15
x8/x15
x8/x15

Beltless Pause Front Squat
45x8,5,5
135x3
135x10
225x3
225x3
225x3 feels great, just my body is confused that a barbell is being used and not a huge strange shaped piece of steel…

Sandbag
260x260ft BOOM! PR baby. I actually carried the 350lb hus at nationals 32ft further…lungs feel encumbered, still not 100% from flu

LOL, this sandbag is brutal

Ab Pulldown
x15
x15
x15
x15

DB Side Bend
x15
x15
x15
x15

PM cardio tonight: 1 hour walk.