Vinegar as Thermogenic?

A rumor abounds that drinking Apple Cider Vinegar before sleep burns fat… any feedback?

Some dude that looks better than me swears by it.

I use vinegar when I feel like I’m about to get sick. I can feel a cold coming on, and I automatically drink a glass of half water and half organic apple cider vinegar (with the mother still in it). Supposively it cleans out your system. It makes me feel better and keeps me from getting sick. My friends think I’m fuckin nuts. I know this doesn’t relate to your question, but I just wanted to let you know that vinegar definitely has its positives.

I worked with a guy who claimed to have lost 20 pounds taking apple cider vinegar (ACV) in 1/2 glass of water before every meal for 2 months. I’ve tried it but haven’t been able to keep it up for any length of time. The best tasting is Braggs organic ACV with the ‘mother’ still in it. Supposedly, the grocery store brands are distilled and not as effective. Anyone out there have any success with this stuff?

Could someone post some information how and why this would work?

I don’t believe Apple Cider Vinegar has any thermogenic properties. Perhaps it’s diruetic to some extent. Or maybe it’s just natures enema potion. I just don’t see how this could work.–Watts–

I have read that vinegar, (or even lemon juice)due to its acidity, slows the emptying of the stomach, therefore it lowers the glycemic index of meals significantly. One of the reasons why an orange has moderately low GI is due to its acidity. Instead of just drinking vinegar, you can eat a salad with a vinegar based dressing (without the fat) and get the same effect.

The most cut that I have ever been is when I was on Apple Cider vinegar. I know it does have some diuretic effects so this might be the reason. I know there have been no double blind research studies on apple cider vinegar but a lot of people swear by the stuff. It is a very good natural antiobiotic if you do feel you are getting sick. At least it has helped me. The grocery store version of apple cider vinegar is distilled and does not have the same ingredients as the organic brand.