T Nation

Vince Young's Wonderlics Score

Originally reported as a 6 out of 50 (below moron on the chart). Then they say the wrong key was used to grade it. Instead of just using the correct key, he retakes the test and gets a 16 (Dan Marino's score). There's no way the guy is dumb enough to have gotten a 6. I wonder how many millions of dollars this mess has cost him. There's now talk of him falling all the way down to the Raiders at the 7 spot.

http://msn.foxsports.com/nfl/story/5365828

"After a rumor spread through the NFL combine Saturday that the Texas quarterback had scored a shockingly low 6 on the Wonderlic test, Young reportedly took the test again and scored a much more acceptable 16."

"While the results of his first test haven't been confirmed -- and combine officials have said the score of 6 was wrong -- ESPN.com's John Clayton reported that Young scored a 16 on his second try (according to his agent) and he's expected to take it a third time. The results of that test will not be released to NFL teams until next week, so it remains completely speculation at this point."

You can take a short sample test off of a link on this page:

http://www.angelfire.com/fl3/existence/wonderlic.html

Has there been any correlation between your score on this and ability as a quarterback? It seems kinda silly that they're having you take an SAT type test to be a quarterback.

If that sample test is an accurate representation of the level of difficulty of the real thing then Young should be sweeping the floors at Micky D's if the quarterback thing falls through.

You have to take it for any NFL position, I believe.

The wonderlic is allegedly a test of ability to learn; and you have to believe NFL offenses/defenses are ridiculously complicated.

I don't know if anyone has proven a correlation or not, but do you have any idea how fucking hard it is to read NFL defenses?

I'll put it this way, and it should pretty much answer your question:

Ryan Leaf scored a 27 and Dan Marino scored a 16.

Theres probably about as much correlation between your wonderlic score and your football ability as there is between your ability to bench 225 and your football ability. Or your ability to run very quickly in a straight line for 120 feet and your football ability.

Weird... I thought it was illegal to make IQ tests a condition of employment.

I'm quite sure he was no rocket surgeon in high school either, didn't stop him tearing it up in college. Whatever the wonderlick is supposed to measure, there are always going to be players who don't test well, or are just not that smart at anything until it comes to the gridiron. I don't think this will hurt him much, he has more than proven himself on the field.

I wonder what Bradshaw scored.

They aren't required to do anything to get drafted--the 40, the bench press, the vertical jump, or the Wonderlic.

But it's the norm, correct? So you would be hurt, or not picked up at all, if you didn't do it? This isn't my field of expertise, so I may be off base, but I have a real problem with IQ being used to determine the desirability of a candidate for a job position.

Don't lawyers have to pass a test?

That sample test is ridiculously easy. According to it i would score a 50 on the real deal.

Not an IQ test. They have to pass a test that measures their competency in their profession, not one that measures general intelligence. If you want to make that analogy, then football players would need to take a test that measured their professional competency. It might ask them to evaluate plays, or somehow show their ability to make relevant in-game decisions.

So tests of physical ability are fair game also, because, obviously, that is the way in which they have to perform.

But the Wonderlic is a standardized test ... an IQ test. And I don't have the time right now to look up whether it is at the state or federal level, but there is definitely legislation against submitting employees or potential employees to any test of general intelligence. Perhaps the NFL gets a free pass on this. If they do, it isn't right.

So, you want a surgeon who can't pass an IQ test working on you?

Me too. It took me under a minute. I am not sure my exact time because I waited after I answered the last question before I realized I should scroll back up and check my time.

If I take Young's test for him do you think he will give me a cut of his contract?

How about SATs, GREs etc?

These are standardized tests that count for admission to college, scholarships, grants, stipends etc.

This paid for a good portion of college for me and my roommate was paid to go to school in a large par because of his PSAT and SAT scores.

You can draw a parallel between this and employment.

Well if the test is any indication then he would probably agree with a 70/30 split in your favour.

Definitely helped me getting into an MBA program to have a good GMAT score, even though my GPA from undergrad was definitely nothing special.
Gotta love a society that rewards you for pissing away your time and all you have to do is just show you can perform when the pressure's on.

A big point of the test isn't just to test the aptitude of a player to learn the NFL's offenses and defenses, but to also check for common sense obviously. These guys, some of which come from absolutely nothing, suddenly go from being a college student fulltime to getting paid millions of dollars a year. So what they also want to check for with the test is if that person will even be able to manage all their new money they may not be used and their new lives as a professional athlete. Which is what alot of agents have to handle for their players.