Vince Gironda 8x8

Yeah, I didn’t want anyone to interpret my comment to mean the front squat was inferior; just different for the topic I was discussing.

I am a pretty vocal “squats not required” advocate, haha.

2 Likes

I swear I heard angels singing when I first did front squats. A squat variant that doesn’t hurt my back. Immediatly it felt better even with no experience with it. It felt so natural. Also seems more functional since you usually pick things up in front of you, not with your back.

I haven’t done a front squat since 2013 and seem to have no problem picking up stuff in strongman, haha.

Functional is silly. Strong is strong.

1 Like

“Functional” is overused as hell. It’s a real concept that has been bastardized so much that it is practically unrecognizable in its current state.

I am not quite sure what is going on here, but OP:

For the timing, you are doing fine. 15-20 seconds is what he recommended you work up to. If you have straps, don’t take them off, don’t let go of the bar, rack a squat but stay under, etc.

If you are not a puddle after 7 sets, you are going to light. The 8th set is the killer.

Keep the tempo the same for every rep.

First three sets: this is a good work out.
Next three sets: f***, I’m I done.
Last two sets: why are my lungs on the ground??

I think part of it might be tempo. I go pretty slow through the reps that might be where I’m catching breath.

However is the cardio portion the whole point? I thought the main idea was work density not intensity.

Tempo, if I remember, was something like 2-0-2. Lift, don’t stop, drop, don’t stop until you reach eight.

“Cardio” is a by product of the short rests and tempo.

First time I did it, I couldn’t breath. Found out real fast that my conditioning was not used to it. Took s few weeks. Then, the weight went up.

If you keep a few reps in the tank for every set, it is too light.

1 Like

More like 1 or 2 reps but I hear you. Ill increase the weight but basically I go until you get to that point where you start shaking and struggling real hard and recruiting extra muscles. I stop right before that.

Ill see what happens tomorrow

I have read up extensively on Gironda, as I am currently using his methods, and the routine you describe is for a beginner bodybuilder at best. Gironda programmes normally prescribe more frequency via body part splits. That said, 8x8 per body part is still plenty of volume. This makes me think you are likely are well-conditioned, as well as potentially not using enough load?

My current condition is well below my previous best but I am breathing fire and my heart rate is through the roof doing 8x8, especially for legs (and that’s with 30s RIs). I also think exercise choice matters, i.e. I can appreciate why regular squats work less well here. I superset a BB hack squat (heels well elevated) with a Gironda frog-style squat (heels almost touching on a high board, feet flayed out). I have dropped the odd rep from set 6, so my load may be too heavy. Regardless, I always hobble away thinking it is an indeed an “honest workout”!

I’d suggest doing squats last…

In my experience, if your following the guidelines to a T and getting the weight spot on, your not going to be doing much after 8x8 ball-buster sets of squats (last 2-3 are insane)

Just my 2 Cents

Moog

I have a leg day, where I do the two movements as previously described as two separate movements (4x8 and 4x8), with only 30s transition between them (making them an 8x8). After another 30s I move onto 4x8 leg curls. Lovely…