Vigilante Slow Driving in Fast Lane

[quote]skaz05 wrote:
One thing that pisses me off about the right lane, is all the damn trucks on it. The trucks are always moving at 60-65, and I want to go 70, so I am always weaving in and out of the left lane to pass all the trucks. I know this sounds whacko, and will never happen, but I think that truckers ought to have their own highway system or something.

And what is up with the bright ass headlights nowadays? There really is no need for these things unless you are a search and rescue vehicle. It makes me so mad when some asshole rides right up behind me, beaming those bright headlights into my rearview adn blinding me. If I can’t see, I can’t drive…[/quote]

I agree with you 100% on the headlights thing. Bugs teh crap out of me. As far as the trucks go, on the jersey turnpike there is a “local” highway and an “express” highway. Parallel roads, same highway, teh only two differences is that trucks arent allowed on the express highway and the express highway doesnt have all of the exits on teh local.

To the OP you are creating the problem. The #1 factor in most accidents is not “speed” per se, but the difference in speed. Get yourself in the lane you’re intended to drive in (the right) and leave the left for passing. Period. I dont care if you’re going 150 mph, if you’re not within 10 seconds of passing a car, get the heck over to the right lane.

i’d shoot at you with a pistol

I do something like this, for the sheer enjoyment of pissing off other drivers:

About a couple of blocks from where I live, a 4 lane road with left turn lane interesects a road I take to my house. I get in the left passing lane a couple of blocks before the turn, mostly to avoid being trapped. Invariably, someone will try to dart around me to cut in front and get to the left turn before me (which often made me miss the light). So, when I see them begin their dart, I floor it and try to trap them in the right lane, so now they can’t turn left! Often, the car behind me will play along and speed up too, trapping the lane jumper REALLY GOOD!

It is wonderful! Sometimes you get to scream back and forth with the asshole who tried to cut the line, flip each other off…it is just plain fun!

I know someone will come on here and rip me for doing this. However, save the lecture for the ill-mannered motherfucker who doesn’t want to wait in line like all us shleps, who believe that what they’re doing MUST be more important than anything I might be doing.

Get off the road.

I’m so glad this post was created since I just drove for three hours on i75 today.

There is nothing that pisses me off more than when old man rivers is briskly cruising in the fast lane at 60 mph with ten and two going on. WTF??? It is a three lane high way and this guy needs to be two lanes over. I wanted to flag him down and strangle him.

I always ask myself why these people are still on the road.

Venting over.

[quote]dalejohnson wrote:
I’m so glad this post was created since I just drove for three hours on i75 today.

There is nothing that pisses me off more than when old man rivers is briskly cruising in the fast lane at 60 mph with ten and two going on. WTF??? It is a three lane high way and this guy needs to be two lanes over. I wanted to flag him down and strangle him.

Venting over.[/quote]

Well, ‘old man rivers’ might have been at Omaha Beach, making sure our road signs weren’t in German. But yeah, they should still get over into the slower lanes, unless they’re getting ready to turn or something.

FWIW: I’m retiring to a town in Colorado in about 10 years. The place is so isolated that you see one car moving about hlf an hour. Heaven…

[quote]sen say wrote:
Lately I set my cruise control at 5 miles over the speed limit and cruise along in the fast lane. I won’t do this on 95 or any other major highway, but my daily commute consists of roads where the speed limit fluctuates between 25 and 40…I know the fast lane is intended for passing only…but with people consistently flying down the road at a hundred miles per hour no matter what lane they’re in…I just kinda started doing this in response one day.

When I’m on 95 or another highway I’ll sit in the slow lane and put the cruise control at 50. This way I never get upset that someone’s going too slow.

I know what I’m doing is kinda edgy…what do you guys (and broads) think? Anyone else taken it upon themselves to slow down the inbred speed freaks out there?[/quote]

You’re the asshole I love to hate. Why do you care what other people are doing and what right do you have to infringe upon someone’s ability to get somewhere? Do you arbitrarily decide someone walking down the supermarket aisle is walking too fast in your judgment? Do you then block their path or otherwise infringe upon it? Mind your own damn business, choose a lane suitable for your speed and stop worrying about what other people are doing. Asshole.

[quote]tGunslinger wrote:
I would stop doing it, just because you’re not the person who should be trying to enforce traffic laws. It’s not your job, so you’re just making life hard on everybody else.

However, I think there’s a special place in hell for people who drive on the highways doing either:

1. Driving horrendously slowly (i.e. 50 in a 70 zone) or
  2. Driving horrendously fast (i.e. 88 in a 70) while constantly changing lanes to “avoid” the other traffic like you’re in a damn NASCAR race.

If you drive like this, then I hope you die in a car-wreck soon, and I’m only half-joking. Drivers like you make life so much harder on other drivers.[/quote]

I hope YOU die, preferably at the hands of a real gun slinger.

In Michigan you would most likely be ticketed for impeding the flow of traffic.

As stated before, if you want to be a cop, become a cop.

[quote]Headhunter wrote:

About a couple of blocks from where I live, a 4 lane road with left turn lane interesects a road I take to my house. I get in the left passing lane a couple of blocks before the turn, mostly to avoid being trapped. Invariably, someone will try to dart around me to cut in front and get to the left turn before me (which often made me miss the light). So, when I see them begin their dart, I floor it and try to trap them in the right lane, so now they can’t turn left! Often, the car behind me will play along and speed up too, trapping the lane jumper REALLY GOOD!

It is wonderful! Sometimes you get to scream back and forth with the asshole who tried to cut the line, flip each other off…it is just plain fun!

I know someone will come on here and rip me for doing this. However, save the lecture for the ill-mannered motherfucker who doesn’t want to wait in line like all us shleps, who believe that what they’re doing MUST be more important than anything I might be doing.[/quote]

They just might have to get somewhere quicker than your dumb ass - ever been late to get somewhere? I hope someone rips you from your car one day and pounds you proper. I can’t stand people like you or the OP on the roadways. Get a damn bicycle or take public transportation.

As if it would kill you or ruin your day for someone to actually get in front of you “out of turn”. Effing childlike mentality.

[quote]TheBodyGuard wrote:
Headhunter wrote:

I know someone will come on here and rip me for doing this. However, save the lecture for the ill-mannered motherfucker who doesn’t want to wait in line like all us shleps, who believe that what they’re doing MUST be more important than anything I might be doing.

They just might have to get somewhere quicker than your dumb ass - ever been late to get somewhere? I hope someone rips you from your car one day and pounds you proper. I can’t stand people like you or the OP on the roadways. Get a damn bicycle or take public transportation.

As if it would kill you or ruin your day for someone to actually get in front of you “out of turn”. Effing childlike mentality.
[/quote]

Why are you or your life more important than mine? Should we all pull off because you’re in a hurry? Its dumb fucks like you who simply won’t wait your turn that fucks it all up for everyone. In a hurry? Leave earlier. Anxious to reload your crack pipe? Tough shit. Wait your turn like everyone else.

I’m 6’6" and 290. I’d LOVE for some little shit like you to try and pull me out of my car. It’d be the last thing you do, for a long time, other than eat through a straw.

Anyone who doesn’t get out of the way for other cars in the fast lane is a douchebag.

I once saw a driving school instructor, of all people, going the speed limit in the fast lane holding up everyone behind him. As I passed him to flip him the bird, I saw he was on his fucking phone! I was furious. It’s no wonder people can’t drive these days. Look at the goddamn people that teach them!

I think randomly slowing to a stop in the left lane is a better strategy. If the people behind you are keeping a safe distance, they will be able to stop easily. It’s a good “fire drill” for the highways.

DB

It’s just a simple matter of common courtesy.

I don’t cut people off, try to skip past people in merge situations, drive in the shoulder during a traffic jam, run red lights or speed in residential areas or other areas not designed for speedy transit. I do hate the “speed up to slow down” drivers who will fly around you when there is a red light 200 feet ahead. I usually just laugh at the gas their dumbasses are wasting though.

I do however, tend to drive fast on the interstate if the space is there. If somebody is driving faster than me, I gladly get over and let them drive faster than me. I do not take this as an affront to my manhood. I do not get angry because they are breaking the law. I simply slide on over and get on with my day. I expect somebody else to give me the same courtesy since it costs them nothing to do so. Some of you guys must live stressful lives if you are getting so bent out of shape over these things!

If somebody is running to catch their flight in an airport, do you guys block their way?

For the record, in many states it is illegal to drive in the left lane (on the interstate) for purposes other than passing. What is that old saying, “two wrong don’t make a right?”

[quote]Reef wrote:
Anyone who doesn’t get out of the way for other cars in the fast lane is a douchebag.

[/quote]

No, not if you’re coming to an intersection where you have to turn left. Further, you have to get over a ways before that intersection because assholes want to fly through it like bats out of hell and you’ll have trouble making your turn.

I didn’t design the roads. Regrettably, some stuff may slow someone down for a short period. However, you’re life will not end if you get to your destination 30 seconds later. And just because you are in your car, you still have to have some consideration for others.

[quote]dalejohnson wrote:

There is nothing that pisses me off more than when old man rivers is briskly cruising in the fast lane at 60 mph with ten and two going on. WTF??? I wanted to flag him down and strangle him.

Venting over.[/quote]

I hear ya. 10 and 2 has been proven to be less effective than 9 and 3 due to reaction times and steering sensitivity. They will teach you this at a performance driving school. 10 and 2 drivers are so outdated.

DB

[quote]Headhunter wrote:
TheBodyGuard wrote:
Headhunter wrote:

Why are you or your life more important than mine? Should we all pull off because you’re in a hurry? Its dumb fucks like you who simply won’t wait your turn that fucks it all up for everyone. In a hurry? Leave earlier. Anxious to reload your crack pipe? Tough shit. Wait your turn like everyone else.

I’m 6’6" and 290. I’d LOVE for some little shit like you to try and pull me out of my car. It’d be the last thing you do, for a long time, other than eat through a straw.

[/quote]

Whywould you risk your life to impede traffic? Driving slow in the fast lane does not make things safer!

[quote]jtrinsey wrote:
It’s just a simple matter of common courtesy.

I don’t cut people off, try to skip past people in merge situations, drive in the shoulder during a traffic jam, run red lights or speed in residential areas or other areas not designed for speedy transit. I do hate the “speed up to slow down” drivers who will fly around you when there is a red light 200 feet ahead. I usually just laugh at the gas their dumbasses are wasting though.

I do however, tend to drive fast on the interstate if the space is there. If somebody is driving faster than me, I gladly get over and let them drive faster than me. I do not take this as an affront to my manhood. I do not get angry because they are breaking the law. I simply slide on over and get on with my day. I expect somebody else to give me the same courtesy since it costs them nothing to do so. Some of you guys must live stressful lives if you are getting so bent out of shape over these things!

If somebody is running to catch their flight in an airport, do you guys block their way?

For the record, in many states it is illegal to drive in the left lane (on the interstate) for purposes other than passing. What is that old saying, “two wrong don’t make a right?”

[/quote]

On interstates, sure, you are right. But those rules are different on surface streets. Surface streets are not designed to be used in an abusive manner, which many ill-mannered folk want to do.

Why should I care if someone is late for their flight? Does this somehow give them the right to weave in and out of surface street traffic? Should we all pull over because His Majesty is on the road? Jeeezzzzz…

[quote]skaz05 wrote:
I know this sounds whacko, and will never happen, but I think that truckers ought to have their own highway system or something.

[/quote]

This was initially suggested and was shot down because it would be too expensive for the truckers. Especially since a good amount of damage to highways is done by the heavy load of trucks, not by cars.

Texas was in a mist of building a superhighway where trucks have their own lanes. But it is currently frozen for all sorts of good reasons.

cell phones are the worst thing to ever happen to driving