Views of Chiropractic?

subluxations of the spine (the back bone of chiropractic medicine, sorry i could’nt resist) can sometimes prevent certain and fix certain problems, but i find when they tell you it can cure really abstract problems like alergies and hair loss id back away. Subluxations can also be harmful, causing nervous damage and even more spinal problems.

I find most issues people need to so a chiro for can be prevented by, postural correction work, massage, soft tissue work, and regular Mobility exercise. You need to ask the question what led to the problem in the first place.

I have bene through 5 diff chiros and only 1 gets me in and out of the offic ein under 5 minutes and really gives me a good cracking. Well, not true. One of the others was a good cracker, too, but he made passes at me and was too touchy feely for anyone’s comfort. (He was also canned very shortly after starting work.)

Anyway, my newest chiro is great. He doens’t expect me to get xrayed, doens’t require follow-up appointments, and he’s not cheating me or my insurance. He also remembered my daughter from a 90 second visit (our first appt w/ him) a week and a half prior even htough she’d been asleep and we hardly spent any time with him.

He also remembered my low back pain even though my main concern is always my neck. (It hurts more than my low back, so that’s what I htink about most.)

So I relaly like the adjustments I get fomr him. I feel like they’re worthwhile and not these pansy weak adjustments that I’ve gotten over the last 5 years.

It depends on the chiropractor, but in general I think that they are quacks. I’ve met a few, but I’ve met more that will try to cure smoking with accupuncture, or tell you that you have a dislocated hip and that they need to put it back in, when the problem is just that you have a tight muscle pulling on your hip.

Chiropractic is an out and out scam. Subluxations in a chiropractic sense do not exist. I have cross-examined alot of Chiro-quackers and the snake oil they are selling NEVER holds up.
If you have a real back problem see a MD or get P.T.
If you gotta go to a Chiro - don’t get your neck “adjusted” it can cause strokes.

[quote]beebuddy wrote:
apwsearch wrote:
beebuddy wrote:
IMO chiropractic is VERY good for VERY limited number of things. Therefore, the rich ones are probably quacks and going once a week is bullshit.

I take it it had no effect on your genital warts.

I’m flattered you remembered me. Have you been thinking about my penis often?[/quote]

How can I forget a name like “beebuddy?”

You sound like one of the tellatubbies or something.

Any chiro who does not konw ART does not care about self-improvement. Avoid such chiros at all costs. Seems pretty obvious to me, but in light of some comments, I guess not.

Another vote for quackery.

The field is so unstandardized that it’s difficult to nail down, but ultimately I think that most of what goes on in chiropractic is pseudoscience.

Additionally, a large fraction of chiropractors practice in a highly unethical manner- meaning, they design their “treatment” plans around the goal of extracting as money as possible from the patient.

[quote]vbm537 wrote:
Like anything else, the bad ones give the rest a bad name. I swear by the one I go to. For me it’s simple: I have pain, I go to chirporactor, I don’t have pain. He never asks me to come back so I don’t feel like he is ripping me off. I tried another one and he tried to get me to pay 700 bucks for a number of visits, which I declined. Find a good one and like mentioned above, it could prove to be valuable with a number of other things.

[/quote]
Hey bro what part of ca are you from ? I am looking for a decent chiro around san leandro hayward area

Chiropractic is a lot like personal training. There’s a few good ones in among the piles of crap. Like was said, find one who practices ART or another form of soft tissue manipulation as well. Avoid those that have graduated from Logan college of chiropractic unless they give you exceedingly good reason to trust them. I’ve had experience with several who knew jack shit about what they were doing.

Also avoid “straight” chiropractic. They ONLY do spinal adjustments, which will do more harm than good. It’s akin to taking dozens of aspirin a day for headaches rather than not using a rock for a pillow.

-Dan

Regardless of what you think of Stephen Barrett (and I am not really a fan), I think chirobase.com is a good site

[quote]thor wrote:
If you gotta go to a Chiro - don’t get your neck “adjusted” it can cause strokes.
[/quote]

Really? Cuz, um, I’ve been going for 5 years now and have had, wait, let me count… zero strokes!

Yet my father, who has never seen a chiro and believes they’re quacks has had, wait, let me count again… at least 2 strokes!

Your reasoning that neck adjustments cause strokes is as ridiculous as mine is that lack of neck adjustments cause strokes.

If neck adjustments cause strokes then why aren’t there more stroke victims out there?

You’re full of crap.

[quote]apwsearch wrote:
You sound like one of the tellatubbies or something.
[/quote]

At least you’re funny. :slight_smile:

I disagree. I went to a PT and Orthopedic surgeon. The surgeon found 2 fractures plus L4 and L5 messed up. He fused those two and put in 2 titanium plates and 4 screws.

Unfortunately he didn’t tell me that wouldn’t fix the pain. Any relief comes from my chiropractor. Surgery was a total waste for pain relief. But no one told me beforehand.

I think it depends on the school you graduate from. Because my goal is to become a chiropractor and I am taking all the same pre-med classes as all the other people that want to become doctors before I head off to my chiropractic school. As long a chiropractor knows his limits then I trust them.

Will never go near one. Quackery.

I really do give credit to the criticism of chiro, but I once had ‘exertion headaches’ that resulted from a tweaked C4 (if memory serves that was the one.) I went to a doctor and he precribed fucking advil for 2 months! I couldn’t bear that so I went to a chiro and he fixed me up in a week.

As for regular visits, I think that is BS. But for acute symptoms they can be very helpful.

Chiros have been invaluable to me after ankle sprains. I had one sprain that wasn’t right after months. 30 secs after adjusting my ankle bone (talus) the pain was gone. Then he did some ART which only needed 2 sessions.

Sure there are greedy chiros, but there are greedy trainers and I can assure you there are greedy MDs after their next boat payment. The 2 good chiros I’ve used after a session are like “Bye call me when you need me”. If tbey are trying to get you to come in over and over and you’re not improving, find another one, or another modality.

The only times I’ve ever been to a chiropractor was when I needed my shoulder blade popped back in; evidentially I stretched a ligament out, and after about 3 visits it was back to normal, never had the pain in my shoulder blade again.

[quote]ScottL wrote:
Chiros have been invaluable to me after ankle sprains. I had one sprain that wasn’t right after months. 30 secs after adjusting my ankle bone (talus) the pain was gone.[/quote]

What does it mean to “adjust” one’s talus?

[quote]ThatGirl77 wrote:
thor wrote:

Really? Cuz, um, I’ve been going for 5 years now and have had, wait, let me count… zero strokes!

Yet my father, who has never seen a chiro and believes they’re quacks has had, wait, let me count again… at least 2 strokes!

Your reasoning that neck adjustments cause strokes is as ridiculous as mine is that lack of neck adjustments cause strokes.

If neck adjustments cause strokes then why aren’t there more stroke victims out there?

You’re full of crap.[/quote]

Thor is not full of crap. Strokes resulting from neck manipulation are a very real concern.

http://www.neck911usa.com/prob.htm