T Nation

Views of Chiropractic?

What are some of your views on Chiropratic work?

It`s an important part of the way a person can care for themselves, which also includes massage, excercise, and healthy diet.

[quote]BGB wrote:

[/quote]

IMHO: I think it is quackery. Osteopaths are a step up in my mind. Ok, I am being harsh, but many claim they will cure things like allergies by adjusting your back. I just don’t buy it.

Just like anything else, it depends on the practitioner. I’ve had really bad experiences where the first visit was nothing more than x-rays and a bunch of money and then “required” weekly visits. The guy I see now did no xrays, spent an hour interviewing me and then showing me in detail on a model spine what my issues were. I should also add he has an athletic background (played hockey), worked with a major div 1 college, is ART certified (and uses more than chiropractic), etc. I’m only upset with him now because it takes a week to get in now. Up until a year or two ago I could get in whenever. I should also add he doesn’t try to bleed me for visits, if he tells me I need a repeat visit or two, I need it.

I have totally negated the need for chiropractic through the use of the Magnificent Mobility program by Robertson and Cressey. I can’t recommend it highly enough, great stuff.

Like anything else, the bad ones give the rest a bad name. I swear by the one I go to. For me it’s simple: I have pain, I go to chirporactor, I don’t have pain. He never asks me to come back so I don’t feel like he is ripping me off. I tried another one and he tried to get me to pay 700 bucks for a number of visits, which I declined. Find a good one and like mentioned above, it could prove to be valuable with a number of other things.

The golden ticket is a chiro who practices Active Release (ART).

If they don’t have a sports background and are not working with local universities they are probably not a good match.

If you walk in and they want to do $250 worth of diagnostics, then want you to sign a treatment plan more or less obligating you to multiple treatmens over the course of several weeks/months, respond with a vicious knee to the groin and leave.

We treat with a chiro/ART practicioner who was a 2 time Olympic medalist in Greco/Roman.

He literally alleves 90% of our issues on the first visit and may or may not recommend a follow-up visit.

We trust him wholly.

Agreed that it depends on the practitioner.

The one that I see has a CSCS designation in addition to being a DC. He has a good mobility program and mandates (as best he can) proper nutrition including the use of EFAs (which the majority of people still seem to be unfamiliar with.)

Do an initial consultation with a few to see which one you are most comfortable with.

After 30 years of bashing my spine with basketball and martial arts I started chiropractic care. I only go when I need to and didn’t sign any contract. It offers great relief for my main problem which is arthritis. I’m sure it helps some like me and is a total waste of time for others. Try it for yourself without a commitment.

I’ve always been skeptical of chiropractic in general, but I recently decided to get some ART work done. All of the certified practitioners in my area are DC’s, so I had no choice but to give one a shot.

I have to say I’ve been really happy with the ART results, that’s for sure. After the very first visit, I had MUCH improved range of motion.

My chiropractor was straight up and said that it would require 4-6 visits. He addressed the problems I mentioned and didn’t go searching for other things “wrong” with me. He does some adjustments to my back and neck as part of the treatment (not in addition to).

Not too crazy about somebody twisting my neck, but he’s been so reliable with the ART, that I’m willing to give him the benefit of the doubt on the adjustments. I really don’t see myself ever going purely for an adjustment, though.

[quote]BGB wrote:

[/quote]
Less than a month ago i was experiencing pains in my left shoulder. I went to a chiro and it turns out some of the vertebrae in my neck were not moving as freely as they should have been. This was stressing some nerves and causing pain in my shoulder.

Anyway, she messed about with my neck and massaged me a bit, and voila…pain gone almost entirely in one session. After 3 sessions over the space of 10 days the pain had completely gone and i had far greater range of movement in my neck.

So id say a good chiropractor is invaluable. Im gone go once every 3 months or so for a check up. Your skeleton is kind of like the foundations of a house. If its strong and moving correctly, everything on top of it should work well too!

I’ve personally gotten excellent results from chiropractic. I’m not a big fan of the ‘chiropractic cures everything’ pitch, but I definitely notice that it helps me maintain my body and keep up my heavy lifts. I think it’s best used in conjunction with other things though, like mobility work, for example.

It’s got a very valid place in my opinion, but some chiros are better than others, some are full of it and some aren’t.

Also BGB, I know you’re into horses, so I may as well mention that I got into chiropractic quite young after years of cumulative impacts from various falls on my tailbone, hip, back, shoulders, etc… my back was so messed that I was bed-ridden (pardon the pun).

When I was kicked in the chest six years ago, I went to my chiro because the impact messed my back up. Those treatments did what no mobility work could have done.

I also find it good for helping straighten things out after doing heavy squats - that bar across the upper back can have an impact on the cervical spine, in my opinion.

Sounds like many have had better luck that myself. Visted one for some minor lower back pain, cracked me and the next day the dorsial flaxation in my right foot was gone. Had 3 spinal injections at an orthopedic surgen’s to reduce inflamation and several trips to a PT.

IMO chiropractic is VERY good for VERY limited number of things. Therefore, the rich ones are probably quacks and going once a week is bullshit.

[quote]Leafblighter wrote:

Not too crazy about somebody twisting my neck, but he’s been so reliable with the ART, that I’m willing to give him the benefit of the doubt on the adjustments. I really don’t see myself ever going purely for an adjustment, though.

[/quote]

No kidding. I absolutely hate having my neck adjusted.

[quote]beebuddy wrote:
IMO chiropractic is VERY good for VERY limited number of things. Therefore, the rich ones are probably quacks and going once a week is bullshit. [/quote]

I take it it had no effect on your genital warts.

[quote]apwsearch wrote:
beebuddy wrote:
IMO chiropractic is VERY good for VERY limited number of things. Therefore, the rich ones are probably quacks and going once a week is bullshit.

I take it it had no effect on your genital warts.[/quote]

I’m flattered you remembered me. Have you been thinking about my penis often?

[quote]BGB wrote:
What are some of your views on Chiropratic work?[/quote]

My chriro does ART. I had tissue injuries that kept me from lifting for years. I had given up and figured I’d never be able to lift again. Finally I was in so much pain that I couldn’t sleep unless I slept on the couch and positioned pillows a certain way so that there was no pressure on my scapular region. So I went a guy in Los Angeles.

After 5 sessions of ART, I was back in the gym lifting - machines and light weights, but still lifting. After another 6 sessions, I was lifting at 75%. A couple more and I was back doing cleans, overhead presses, anything I wanted.

He’ll do an adjument on me here and there, but I go for the ART. A chiro has a lot of knolwedge of the body. Add in ART and you can’t beat it.

Plus, chiros are covered by a lot of insurance plans. ART guys who are not chiros are not covered. My treatment only costs me the co-pay, and I get 20 sessions a year covered. So I go in for a “tune-up” as often as possible.

I am glad so many people have had positive experiences with Chiropractic care. I have not unfortunately. Most of the chiro’s I have seen got me in for 3 days a week until my health coverage was spent and then miraculously I didn’t need it as much and they would lower their prices.

Also, I never even noticed any real physical changes and I am someone with chronic low back problems. It has struck me as being mostly a business than health care.

I go in and get adjusted about once a month. My upper back between my shoulder blades seems to give me problems after a while, but a good cracking clears things right up.