Videos are Key

Here is a video of my deadlift and I had no idea that my form was so bad. Please let me kow what I can do to improve my form. I am going to see a doctor on the 16th of May to look at my right knee. If I bend it much further than 90 or to just below parallel it hurts. I am not sure if it is a joint issue or if it is a stretching issue, lets hope the latter. This was taken the same day as Strongman’s.

http://65.182.219.254/strongman/MVI_1114.AVI

-Will
By the way sorry about the long set up, it is kinda slow to watch.

(Edited to fix the link)

Uh… I thought that WAS strongman?

it would be better to see from the side, not the front…

but from what i can see you have too much of a jerk at the beginning that doesnt do anything, its just a pop into nothing… basically you need to just lift, not jerk until your arms are rigid then lift, just lift… and you also look like you do a straight leg deadlift, you get down pretty much low enough on the start of the lift, and as soon as you do your little jerk thing, your legs straighten out a bit, then your essentially using mostly back… so like i said dont do that jerk at the beginning just lift, and it’ll be easier to keep your legs and back coming up at the same time

It was, I copied the wrong link. I just fixed it now, thanks for the heads up.

[quote]wtagye wrote:
It was, I copied the wrong link. I just fixed it now, thanks for the heads up.[/quote]

Good job you fucking beast. In my opinion your grip is a bit too wide, and obviously you spent way too long in the knees bent arms on the bar position. It also kind of looked like you straight-legged that bitch. How much was it?

I agree that it looks like you pretty much straight legged it. At first you had good “extension” of the knees and hips/waist/back, but then you just extended the knees fully, then extended the back.

From what I know for deadlifts, it should be a constant rate, all at the same time, ankles, knees, hips/back.

Also for lowering the weight same thing, it seems as you ‘reverse stiff legged it’. which means you are probably very strong, and if you are using proper DL form, you should be able to hit even more weight. I always lower the same way I lifted it up, with back arched and facing fwd.

I think most DL’s focus, on chest out, and never facing the ground.

[quote]Orbitalboner wrote:
Good job you fucking beast. In my opinion your grip is a bit too wide, and obviously you spent way too long in the knees bent arms on the bar position. It also kind of looked like you straight-legged that bitch. How much was it?[/quote]

Thanks for the reply, it was 405 lbs. I am way too straight legged in the move, and I was down too long. Too much thinking and not enough lifting, I just need to wlk up, get into form, and pick the thing up.

Unless you really like pulling modified conventional, I would bring your feet in. It looks akward where you are at now.

Your chest gets caved over as soon as you initiate the pull; this isn’t a good thing. You HAVE to force your chest up and balance the pull between the glutes, hammies and low back, otherwise you’re an injury waiting to happen. I hope I don’t sound rude, I just don’t want you to hurt yourself.

Stay strong
MR

[quote]Mike Robertson wrote:
Unless you really like pulling modified conventional, I would bring your feet in. It looks akward where you are at now.

Your chest gets caved over as soon as you initiate the pull; this isn’t a good thing. You HAVE to force your chest up and balance the pull between the glutes, hammies and low back, otherwise you’re an injury waiting to happen. I hope I don’t sound rude, I just don’t want you to hurt yourself.

Stay strong
MR[/quote]

Thanks for the input, no worries about being rude. I really had no idea that I was that caved over until I looked at the video. I read on a sumo style post that you should sit back to the point that you would fall backward if you wern’t holding the bar against your shins. Does that sound resonable or am I looking in the wrong direction?