Video on Rise in LGBT Identifying People

Curious what the community here thinks about the comments made in this video.
Why Are 25% of Students Suddenly LGBT? - YouTube

Some of what he says makes sense to me from a purely statistics point of view. Why is there now a sudden increase over historical norms in LGBT identifying persons? IMO, it cannot be just to increased acceptance as rates of LGBT folks have not made historical jumps like recently. It does not pass the sniff test in some cases.

Welcome to the look at me generation that needs constant validation they exist.

Then add to that the vilification of masculinity or what are considered masculine traits.

3 Likes

That’s such a weird conversation topic

1 Like

That video was a hoot.

I always thought that humanities students had a screw loose. And now I see that it just might have been their neurosis that caused what I thought was irrational behavior.

My fellow STEM students were much easier for me to understand.

That’s exactly why I posted it. Like I said I don’t necessarily agree with him on every point but i do think the ideas he has have some merit.

One thing I’ve thought about is what percent of people are a little gay? I think you can be basically completely straight, completely gay, or in between (bi sexual). The bi sexual individual might be right in the middle, or have a slight or strong preference for their own or opposite sex.

What I am getting at is that if it is convenient / advantageous for someone to be LGBT, someone who only is slightly attracted to the same sex might now identify as bi sexual, where they probably would not have before.

It is tough for me to understand identifying as bi or gay as someone who is only attracted to the opposite sex. But I think the amount of people with slight attraction to the same sex might be a pretty sizable group.

1 Like

I agree with this.
I am in the same boat as you. Never felt attraction to another male, but I don’t think it’s much of a leap for many.

1 Like

In the late 40s and early 50s, Kinsey surveyed tons of individuals (I think he was trying to get to 100K individuals). He created a scale 0-6, where 0 is completely straight, 6 is completely gay. Here is from the Wikipedia article on it.

For men, 21.6% were a 3 or greater on the scale.

For women the numbers were less, but 10-16% were a 3 or greater.

I have to imagine that in the time this was developed, people were less likely to report same sex attraction.

IDK, these numbers aren’t all that far off from the 25% (and that is ignoring people who are 1 and 2s, which have slight to moderate same sex attraction). It being acceptable and seen in society probably makes it more likely that one would question what they like or not.

Lends credence to the idea that more acceptance would reflect real numbers (definitely agree with that).
Identify or be whatever you are, but don’t be someone fake. Fake people are the most annoying out there.

1 Like

Perhaps the amount of people that are at least a little gay is a lot higher than most people would think (maybe 25%+). If there is no negatives to admit that, then the numbers perhaps make sense without substantial fakers?

1 Like

For sure.
I hope people are not taking on the identity of a truly ostracized and marginalized group just for the heck of it, but then you have groups like HAES trying to claim being morbidly obese is the same as LGBT+ and tie the two together. Those folks are fake

1 Like

If you were to ask my father, it would be every male born after 1950.

2 Likes

Kinsey was mostly just a pervert. I’m not sure we should accept his “research” as reliable.

2 Likes

I haven’t looked into that.

If he was a pervert (I’ll hold judgement for now), did that impact his research?

I guess what I am saying is that there have been shitty people who do good research or make important discoveries. If there is a reason why we should discredit his work, I am open to hearing that though.

I think it is a lot of people just wanting to be cool. Not to be crass, but I don’t think 25% of guys would be willing to put a penis in their mouth.

1 Like

Those doing a survey are very likely to find what supports their desired outcome.

Those numbers sounded ridiculously high based on what I experienced through the 1960’s

1 Like

TBH, I am not really sure. I thought they published the questions they asked.

4 Likes

This type of “research” ends up being quite subjective in terms of what questions you ask and how you interpret the answer. Frankly, I’m not sure how sexual orientation could really be on a spectrum. As far as I can imagine, it’s pretty binary. Either you are interested in sex with men, women, or both.

3 Likes

Don’t tons of guys suck their own dicks? I thought that was pretty common thing for teenage guys to do. It certainly is different than another dude’s dick though.

I think a lot of people have or would do both but have no preference, a preference towards opposite sex, or a preference to same sex. How much of a preference varies.