Video Games with Atmosphere

Dead Space was pretty good. The sequels are a bit gimmicky though.

Also The Witcher 2 was definitely underrated.

Dark Souls and Bioshock. Both would stay with you long after putting down the controller. Dark Souls had a great haunting soundtrack

[quote]redstar144 wrote:
Dark Souls and Bioshock. Both would stay with you long after putting down the controller. Dark Souls had a great haunting soundtrack

Dark Souls’ atmosphere was just oppressive, the music and art design just created a world where you just couldn’t wait to explore but be incredibly intimidated by.

Metal Gear Series
Skyrim/Fallout
Dragonage

[quote]RATTLEHEAD wrote:

[quote]redstar144 wrote:

Dark Souls’ atmosphere was just oppressive, the music and art design just created a world where you just couldn’t wait to explore but be incredibly intimidated by.[/quote]

There are few experiences in gaming to match your first playthrough in Dark Souls. Particularly if you avoid all guides and videos on youtube.

[quote]Wiex wrote:
Phantasmagoria [/quote]

Great game that a lot of people don’t know about. Freaked me the hell out playing it 15 years ago, at parts it was like being in a horror movie.

I haven’t gamed since the Clinton administration so I’m sure things have improved exponentially since…

Assassins Creed 2 and 3 is amazing when it comes to atmosphere and game play!

I just picked it up about a week ago, been glued.

The Suffering
Quest for Glory 4: Shadows of Darkness

Well what I would call “the usual suspects” are all in here: Resident Evil, Silent Hill, Dead Space. Telltales TWD and Journey are really good too.

The 3 I would add are Shadows of the Colossus, Bioshock, and the Yakuza series.

Shadows of the Colossus is one of the best games of all time IMO, yet it barely has any dialogue.

Bioshock’s Rapture is amazing.

I almost learned Japanese from playing the Yazkua games.

When I played Oblivion on my 360. When I first stepped out into that open world, I was totally in that game. I still watch youtube videos and listen to some of the music from it. Guy at work got the game the same time as me. We actually got in trouble for BSing about that game at work instead of actually working. First time I felt " Nerdy " playing a video game and I didn’t care.

[quote]waldo21212 wrote:
Well what I would call “the usual suspects” are all in here: Resident Evil, Silent Hill, Dead Space. Telltales TWD and Journey are really good too.

Shadows of the Colossus is one of the best games of all time IMO, yet it barely has any dialogue.

I almost learned Japanese from playing the Yazkua games.[/quote]

You ever play ICO? I really enjoyed the hell out of that too, I’m sad that the other one they were making got lost in dev hell, the idea seemed real promising and the visuals were no doubt brilliant, just sad it’s apparently super buggy. Would love for them to come out of the woodwork and make something for the next gen.

[quote]Big Kahuna wrote:

[quote]waldo21212 wrote:

I almost learned Japanese from playing the Yazkua games.[/quote]

You ever play ICO? I really enjoyed the hell out of that too, I’m sad that the other one they were making got lost in dev hell, the idea seemed real promising and the visuals were no doubt brilliant, just sad it’s apparently super buggy. Would love for them to come out of the woodwork and make something for the next gen.[/quote]

Yep, ICO is very good too IMO. I’m still hoping Team ICO’s (aka Sony Japan Studio) The Last Guardian will finally release for the PS4. I saw a few weeks ago PS4 pre-orders were popping up on the internet, but not sure if that was based on new information to retailers or not.

The original Borderlands and TES: Oblivion have consumed many hours of my life. Somehow, they never get old.

Dead Space and Dishonored for great atmosphere. Dead Space does a great job with the lighting and making things appear out of the darkness. Dishonored did a great job of making you feel the desparate state of the populous, the control of the government, and just how “lost” the world was.

Doom 4, Half-life, Deus-ex, Uncharted series, Metal Gear, DeadSpace, Assassin Creed series…

I really can’t convey how much I love Dark Souls. Words don’t do that game justice.

Where do I even start?

I would say no offense to anyone who adores Skyrim, but I do mean offense because it is severely lacking. Skyrim is like BodyBuilding.com and Dark Souls is like T-Nation, if you catch my drift. In Skyrim you’ll run across a field to find a cave and turn a few knobs so you can unlock a room with an amulet that will end up in a chest in the upstairs room of your “decorated” house and you’ll never look at it again. In Dark Souls, you fight your way through a variety of different environments, killing demons, backstabbing undead, summoning phantoms, joining covenants, fleeing from dragons, forging swords, looting awesome weapons, casting spells, and finding useful items, all whilst hoping other gamers don’t invade your world to kill you before you even get to take a swing at the area boss.

Dark Souls is THE GAME.

The intricacies and structural design of the landscape to allow most of the areas to interconnect is genius.

The cut scenes are epic. There isn’t any button mashing because all attacks need to be precisely timed and planned to kill a boss. The bosses actually get stronger as you level, so no matter when you decide to kill one of them, it’s still hard.

Once you die about 160 times and think you’ve gotten halfway through to game, you will be no where close to finishing.

This game is so extensive that your brain will literally hurt trying to recall the proper path to take or where an item is.

The game is demanding, and anyone who can beat it alone without assistance is a trooper.

[quote]Kakarat wrote:
I really can’t convey how much I love Dark Souls. Words don’t do that game justice.

Where do I even start?

I would say no offense to anyone who adores Skyrim, but I do mean offense because it is severely lacking. Skyrim is like BodyBuilding.com and Dark Souls is like T-Nation, if you catch my drift. In Skyrim you’ll run across a field to find a cave and turn a few knobs so you can unlock a room with an amulet that will end up in a chest in the upstairs room of your “decorated” house and you’ll never look at it again. In Dark Souls, you fight your way through a variety of different environments, killing demons, backstabbing undead, summoning phantoms, joining covenants, fleeing from dragons, forging swords, looting awesome weapons, casting spells, and finding useful items, all whilst hoping other gamers don’t invade your world to kill you before you even get to take a swing at the area boss.

Dark Souls is THE GAME.

The intricacies and structural design of the landscape to allow most of the areas to interconnect is genius.

The cut scenes are epic. There isn’t any button mashing because all attacks need to be precisely timed and planned to kill a boss. The bosses actually get stronger as you level, so no matter when you decide to kill one of them, it’s still hard.

Once you die about 160 times and think you’ve gotten halfway through to game, you will be no where close to finishing.

This game is so extensive that your brain will literally hurt trying to recall the proper path to take or where an item is.

The game is demanding, and anyone who can beat it alone without assistance is a trooper.

[/quote]

I’ve had a love-hate relationship with this game. It took me over a year to finish it. I played it a few times, and every single time, I’d rage quit. I Would take a few months off, come back and get fucked over and over again. I hated the fact it was one of the hardest games I ever played and yet, I was back for more ass kicking, lol. Why? Simply because I was drawn to the immersing, mesmerising, dark and eerie atmosphere Dark Soul oozes. I was getting closer and closer to finish a level, I wanted to know what was next and every time I was so close and then, there would be a fucking obstacle, impossible to kill bosses and, death… I was feeling like this…

Dark Souls cost me a LCD screen. But shit, when I finally beat it, it was as if I’d just won the fucking lottery.

[quote]Kakarat wrote:

Where do I even start?

Dark Souls is THE GAME.

[/quote]

<3

[quote]RATTLEHEAD wrote:

I preferred the original Duke Nukem on PC, even that game felt scary to me somehow ?!

The original AVP for PC terrified me for years, even into my teens. Insta kill face huggers made you sweat bullets.

[/quote]
didnt really know what you all meant by atmosphere till this post. But ZombiU was like that for me. Wasnt even a big fan of the game. Only clocked 5-6 hours. But the creepy music and noises they play, the faint sounds of movement you hear in the surrounding darkness. Id sweat balls, the threat of imminent death lingering over you. Always short on ammo. Often relying on melee attacks. The screen controller was cool too, really added to said atmosphere. Youd be trying to watch both screens at the same time. … and then me and the GF broke up so no more ZombiU for this guy.

Cannot play Dark Souls, I would burn my house down in a fit of rage :(…