Video Games Thread

I dont have all that much time to game right now, but when i find the time, i play entirely too much guitar hero 2.

Also, The Godfather game was a lot of fun, esp. if you like the movies, it great how they got a lot of the original guys to do voice work.

Oh, and Madden of course, but that goes without saying.

–JB

God Of War II and Motorstorm. God of War II is one of the best games I’ve ever played. I beat it on God mode and now I’m back at the sisters of fate on Titan mode, right before that long ass walkway of doom that took me almost 6 hours to do the first time. Now I can’t wait for God Of War III for the PS3!

[quote]Professor X wrote:
I heard Crackdown was decent…but the guy I heard it from is a die hard gamer and thinks everything is worth playing. If it is that good, that may be the only thing that settles whether I get an X-box over a PS3. They are putting Spiderman 3 out on PS2 at least.

Free roaming games are what I like best.[/quote]

CrackDown is great. The best thing is co-op with a buddy over Live. You can assault the criminal strongholds together, or just cause general mayhem - and the really cool thing is that you can both be on opposite ends of the city doing whatever you want, while remaining in voice comm range through-out.

Speaking of gaming, before I went back to school full-time this past fall, I worked as a gaming writer for 5 years. I’ll post a few links to my work if anyone is interested in having a look.

GoW review -

Splinter Cell: Double Agent review -

Saints Row review -

And a preview of Kane & Lynch: Dead Men

This is why I F’n love this site. We can talk about all sorts of shit ranging from Video Games to Powerlifting without missing a beat.

I have to ask how do most of you guys purchase your games. For example I get the MUST HAVE games (Madden, God of War, Halo) as soon as they come out from my local gamespot or what have you. But the other games that I am interested in or just plain forgot about I usually purchase them from EBay or Half.com. I paid 5 bucks for GUN and about 7 bucks for Brothers in Arms: Earned IN Blood. Last week from Half.com.

Do you guys have any undercover discount websites that you go to, to get your games on the cheap?

[quote]SkyNett wrote:
Professor X wrote:
I heard Crackdown was decent…but the guy I heard it from is a die hard gamer and thinks everything is worth playing. If it is that good, that may be the only thing that settles whether I get an X-box over a PS3. They are putting Spiderman 3 out on PS2 at least.

Free roaming games are what I like best.

CrackDown is great. The best thing is co-op with a buddy over Live. You can assault the criminal strongholds together, or just cause general mayhem - and the really cool thing is that you can both be on opposite ends of the city doing whatever you want, while remaining in voice comm range through-out.

[/quote]

Crackdown was fun, I called it Crackwhore I was playing it so much till I beat it. Haha! I loved that game, not a big fan of the cell shaded graphics though. I wish we could take Just Cause’s graphics and put it into Crackdown’s gameplay that would be the shit.

Just Cause is fun to waste some time on too, the islands are huge and the sunsets with the waves coming in look amazing in HD. I just wish the cars and controls were alittle better.

Thats cool as fuck SkyNett you used to write for videogames, never thought about that when I saw you were a writer.

You guys played The Hulk: Ultimate Destruction didn’t you? Free Roaming with the Hulk is the shizzz.

Also Marvel Alliance was alot of fun, I see on Market Place for 800 pts you can download 8 new characters including The Hulk…which I never understood why he wasn’t in it from the beginning since The Thing is in it. And Venom is also a dl character, Spidey in the black costume looked badass.

Capt America was awesome to use in that game, he’d break the heads off the robots with his shield if you grappled them. I don’t need to mention the carnage I reaped with Wolvie.

im currently playing Medieval total war II and company of heroes, getting spiderman 3 for the PC this friday (hopefully they wont mess it up this time). Also looking forwards to Quake wars enemy torritory and Crysis, Haze should be good too but i have a friend working at the company thats developing it so im biased.

[quote]BiG BeN wrote:
Just Cause is fun to waste some time on too, the islands are huge and the sunsets with the waves coming in look amazing in HD. I just wish the cars and controls were alittle better.

Thats cool as fuck SkyNett you used to write for videogames, never thought about that when I saw you were a writer.

You guys played The Hulk: Ultimate Destruction didn’t you? Free Roaming with the Hulk is the shizzz.

[/quote]

Ahhh, Just Cause - despite its issues, I liked it quite a bit.

And I loved Hulk: UD…amazing game. : )

Are you on Live? Co-op on CrackDown is the shit, not to mention Gears of War!

I’m so happy the HD era has finally arrived. The new Ghost Recon single player campaign is absolutely gorgeous to behold on my 50" plasma. That game looks so good - the lighting, smoke and explosions are ridiculous, and the character animations are sweet.

And sound? It feels like my squadmates are in the room with me. I’ve got a high-end 7.1 digital set-up in my living room with ceiling mounted mid and rear surrounds and a powered subwoofer that shakes the house. My games have never looked or sounded better. Thankfully I have an understanding wife!

I’m totally amazed at how good Gears of War and GR look. I can’t imagine what we’ll be seeing as the life-cycle of the new consoles continue.

I just saw some scans of the new Splinter Cell from a French gaming mag, plus a little story tid-bit - it’s early concept art and what looks like test renders, but damn it is looking fine as hell. : )

I don’t play many video games, but I played Oblivion last fall and Civilization 4 this year.

You guys can keep Gear of War! I’m building Cavalry so I can go conquer Greece and Germany!

HA!

God of War II worth a play then?

[quote]Welsh Warrior wrote:
God of War II worth a play then?[/quote]

Most seem to think so, after hearing the comments around here and seeing the IGN review of 9.7 and a description of ‘incredible’ I think I will have to pick it up after my exams…

SHadoW

Worth it? I can honestly say it is one of the most impressive story lines, graphics, and game play I’ve experienced all in one game…but I like Greek Mythology to begin with.

Just started playing Madden '07 again on the 360. I like the game, but it’s hard finding the right set of sliders to try and make the gameplay realistic. And the fatigue glitch sucks! Anyway, I’ve started a 49ers franchise.

Also playing: Fight Night Round 3 and NBA 2K7.

Forgot to mention my Nintendo DS.

This game is hard to find, but if you can pick up a copy on eBay, I’d suggest you do.

Game? Advance Wars: Dual Strike.

Thing is so addicting. Graphically it’s not great, but the gameplay is tight and challenging, especially as the levels increase.

Also playing: Big Brain Academy, Hotel Dusk: Room 215 and Mario Kart DS.

The only game I play is wow. Between my girlfriend, being a full time student, the gym, and working 42 hours a week, I really don’t have time for any other game.

I really don’t get to play it enough to actually be that good, but it’s still fun as hell, and it keeps me from buying/playing any other games.

Absolutely. I rent most games but this one I shelled out $50 for because it’s worth it. Nothing like ripping out eyes, arms, heads, legs, and impaling large monsters to finish off a rough day at work.

Anyone that’s already played the game through realize that the guy who does Perseus’ voice in the game is actually Harry Hamlin, who originally played Perseus in Clash of the Titans? Nothing huge but I still thought that was kind of funny.

I was thinking of investing in a PSP just to play Madden football. Madden 2008 will be out on 8/14, so I’ll be buying everything on or around then. Aside from the draft, I’m sooooooo NFL deprived right now.

This is just a time killer when traveling to and from work on the trains. I’m itching for football season to come back, so this should tide me over till opening day starts.

[quote]shadowmoses wrote:
Welsh Warrior wrote:

Most seem to think so, after hearing the comments around here and seeing the IGN review of 9.7 and a description of ‘incredible’ I think I will have to pick it up after my exams…

SHadoW[/quote]

Would this game play well on the PC or is it a true console game?

Is it even available on PC?

[quote]bitethishotdog wrote:
I was thinking of investing in a PSP just to play Madden football. Madden 2008 will be out on 8/14, so I’ll be buying everything on or around then. Aside from the draft, I’m sooooooo NFL deprived right now.

This is just a time killer when traveling to and from work on the trains. I’m itching for football season to come back, so this should tide me over till opening day starts.[/quote]

I don’t know if I’d buy a PSP solely for Madden. It’s not back for a handheld, but if you don’t already have the system, not sure it’s worth spending over $200 of your money…unless you only plan on playing portable, then it wouldn’t be a bad idea.

Most sport games on portable systems aren’t that great, although there are some decent ones for the PSP. Madden’s good and NCAA isn’t bad as long as you get the “fixed” version of the game (the original had a terrible glitch that made it unplayable) and the MLB games aren’t bad, either.

[quote]Applesauce wrote:
Welsh Warrior wrote:

Absolutely. I rent most games but this one I shelled out $50 for because it’s worth it. Nothing like ripping out eyes, arms, heads, legs, and impaling large monsters to finish off a rough day at work.

Anyone that’s already played the game through realize that the guy who does Perseus’ voice in the game is actually Harry Hamlin, who originally played Perseus in Clash of the Titans? Nothing huge but I still thought that was kind of funny.[/quote]

Atlas is Michael Clark Duncan. That is…huge.

Fucking World of Warcraft. I try to keep it to no more than 10-15 hours a week.

Before that it was Call of Duty 3. Only played multiplayer on XBox Live.

Recently saw the preview for the new Grand Theft Auto. Can’t wait till it comes out.