Vid of Ex-NFL Pro Doing an Insane Circuit

so this guys doing a typical crossfit workout. big deal…

Give the workout a try. Even if you don’t do this style of training. Try it!

its great circut training, but i’m into sports specific training. i wanna stay nationally ranked at my sport…

i imagine he did sports specific exercises to better hiomself at his position in football. now retired, he does the typical crosstraining, using 2-10 different exercises… cool… hard, but not for me… not yet…

So is stupidgymshit your Youtube channel? I ask because all of your post are from there.

We don’t do crossfit workouts regularly and we use them a lot as mental conditioning workouts rather than a regular style of training. It takes just as much mental toughness to push yourself through something like that as it does physical strength.

I just like to turn on the camera and film this stuff for fun and then post up. Crossfit has its place, but is definitely not our regular style of training. Just another tool to use.

[quote]bfrancis80 wrote:

We don’t do crossfit workouts regularly and we use them a lot as mental conditioning workouts rather than a regular style of training. It takes just as much mental toughness to push yourself through something like that as it does physical strength.

I just like to turn on the camera and film this stuff for fun and then post up. Crossfit has its place, but is definitely not our regular style of training. Just another tool to use. [/quote]

honestly, i think if an athlete is serious about his sport and has a goal of improving in all aspects of his game and wants to consistenly get better everyday then crossfit has no place in his training program. seeing that this guy is retired, then why not do some kinds of crazy ass circuit to keep him fit and lean. im pretty sure though during his days as a pro athelte there would be no way in hell he would be training like that.

As a D1 college linebacker i must say that looks like a challenge i would love to take on one day. But yeah nothing really pro-football abouth that my S&C coach would raise holy hell if i even showed him that

We actually train a lot of current pro athletes at the facility I work in South Florida, and we use a lot of crossfit-style workouts on them every now and then (not regularly) to challenge them both mentally & physically. You would be amazed at how some of these unbelievable athletes lack the mental toughness and conditioning that could take them to a whole new level.

Like I said, I’m not a “crossfit-groupie”, but I do think some of their workouts have their place in any conditioning program. We’ve NEVER had an athlete get hurt and know how to both coach and regress any and all movements for the safety and the benefit of the athlete. It’s done nothing but produce great results and the athletes actually love the challenge.

no offense, but that routine looks kinda pointless…

while there are apects of it that are impressive, his form is terrible (especially the KB swings), which seems to increase the chance of injury, and at best, just isn’t doing the exercise right. if you’ve had success in training people, then i believe you, but i think “toughness training” needs to be specific to the athlete’s sport, otherwise has no crossover, and is just hard for hardness sake.

[quote]cycobushmaster wrote:

while there are apects of it that are impressive, his form is terrible (especially the KB swings), which seems to increase the chance of injury, and at best, just isn’t doing the exercise right. if you’ve had success in training people, then i believe you, but i think “toughness training” needs to be specific to the athlete’s sport, otherwise has no crossover, and is just hard for hardness sake. [/quote]

How doesn’t any one of those movements relate to sports (deadlifts w/ the tire, overhead presses, squats, pull-ups, push-ups, kb swings, heavy rope jumps, etc.). Almost every single one of those movements is a total body movement and not one is single-joint specific. When your body is fatigued, of course you’re going to compensate your form. The load isn’t so much though that these athletes are at risk of injury.

What are you supposed to do when you’re in the fourth quarter of a game and your entire system is completely taxed. You get it done cause you’ve conditioned and trained your body to perform in a fatigued state.

People get themselves into trouble when using the term “sports specific”. Playing the sport is sports specific, anything else is training for speed, power, & strength with the hope that it transitions over to the desired sport.

LOL at the 50 lb tire in the beginning wow

[quote]bfrancis80 wrote:

[quote]cycobushmaster wrote:

while there are apects of it that are impressive, his form is terrible (especially the KB swings), which seems to increase the chance of injury, and at best, just isn’t doing the exercise right. if you’ve had success in training people, then i believe you, but i think “toughness training” needs to be specific to the athlete’s sport, otherwise has no crossover, and is just hard for hardness sake. [/quote]

How doesn’t any one of those movements relate to sports (deadlifts w/ the tire, overhead presses, squats, pull-ups, push-ups, kb swings, heavy rope jumps, etc.). Almost every single one of those movements is a total body movement and not one is single-joint specific. When your body is fatigued, of course you’re going to compensate your form. The load isn’t so much though that these athletes are at risk of injury.

What are you supposed to do when you’re in the fourth quarter of a game and your entire system is completely taxed. You get it done cause you’ve conditioned and trained your body to perform in a fatigued state.

People get themselves into trouble when using the term “sports specific”. Playing the sport is sports specific, anything else is training for speed, power, & strength with the hope that it transitions over to the desired sport.[/quote]

well, how do they apply to him? he’s no longer an athlete, right?

he looked almost bored doing the tire flips (although his form was tight there), but his form on pullups, squats, pushups and swings was shit… he clearly could have done the reps correctly had he taken a minute or two extra.

as far as hoping it transitions, why? why not train for pure strength, speed, etc in the weight room/track? IMO, the mental fatigue is best when doing your sport, as that is what you will be doing in competition. i don’t care how fatiguing all those exercises are, if it’s not all that similar to your sport, it doesn’t matter.

i’m not trying to attack you, but i find the video of this athlete not neccessarily a shining example of the program…

alright, i re-watched that vid because i thought i might have been a dick, but fuck that. if you want people to perform exercises like that, then i don’t know what you’re doing on this site.

[quote]yoitspmart wrote:
LOL at the 50 lb tire in the beginning wow [/quote]

yeah, i just caught that…

FYI, the tire is 350lbs. When you’re strong as an ox, you make things look like they weight 50 lbs. Lets get real fellas. I can tear apart form and technique on 99% of the people attempting to lift correctly, so let’s not bullshit ourselves and think we’re going to see 50 flawless reps on every movement.

Just appreciate the maximum effort put forth from an incredible athlete. Its easy to talk shit and criticize something you can’t do or haven’t even attempted yourself. But let me guess…it’s a pointless workout, right?

[quote]bfrancis80 wrote:
FYI, the tire is 350lbs. When you’re strong as an ox, you make things look like they weight 50 lbs. Lets get real fellas. I can tear apart form and technique on 99% of the people attempting to lift correctly, so let’s not bullshit ourselves and think we’re going to see 50 flawless reps on every movement.

Just appreciate the maximum effort put forth from an incredible athlete. Its easy to talk shit and criticize something you can’t do or haven’t even attempted yourself. But let me guess…it’s a pointless workout, right?[/quote]

i’m perplexed that you keep defending this workout so much… there are a few critical points that i tried to make that you either missed or are ignoring.

firstly, this website has a helluva lot of info on both cutting edge and old school, tried and true methods. but one common denominator is that they all emphasize the specifity of one’s goals, and the adherance of form vs. ego. while that guy might be an incredible athlete, that is not an incredible performance. hardly any of those pushups would have counted on any Army PT or police PT test i’ve taken, nor the pullups for a Marine PFT. the KB swings would not have counted for any Crossfit competition, either. additionally, your reference to Crossfit is quite misleading, as any Crossfit gym/trainer i’ve seen is a Nazi about correct form.

as a police officer, soldier and MMA enthusiast, i find mental training to be very important and interesting. but this workout doesn’t meet the requirements of mental toughness, IMO… his form sucks, and in doing so, he’s half-assing much of the workout. he could have prolly done this workout correctly in 10 more minutes, but instead he chose (and as his trainer you allowed) him to eek through it, and now pass it off as a proper training method.

conditioning and realistic mental prep are prolly the two most important factors in “mental toughness.” while this might be challenging physically, mindlessly tossing weights around doesn’t make him any thougher (although i do agree there is a good conditioning aspect to the training). since he’s no longer a competive athlete, specifity doesn’t really matter, but i guess i would have selected different exercises to make it safer while keeping it effective.

Don’t be perplexed about me defending the workout because technique and safety is ALWAYS our number one concern. And you must have experienced quite a few amazing crossfit facilities, because most of the ones I’ve experienced are horrible when it comes to form and technique.

Again, the load wasn’t to the degree that his safety was at risk (the reason why he was allowed to continue through with the movements). And everyone’s standards on lifts are completely different from person to person, event to event. Believe me, he wasn’t half-assing any point of the workout and any time you put a stop-watch on somebody, they’re going to compensate any way they can to cut time. Is that always a good thing? No, but it’s reality.

The program was designed in a way that systematically challenges push, pull, & squatting movements. It’s not a bunch of bullshit thrown together without thought, with the desire of running an athlete into the ground. That’s just stupid and we operate with much more integrity and design behind our programs. And obviously you and I both know that “mindlessly” tossing around even 20 pounds can end in injury. Like I said, we can pick apart and compare every movement of almost every individual and I’ll point out the improper mechanics or faulty movement patterns, but we’ll save that for another day.

I must say that I tremendously respect your profession and background, and wish more individuals had your same mindset. Mental toughness is just as specific to the individual as whatever sport it is their training for. You find what challenges them and run with it (in a safe and effective way).

The only thing this workout is geared towards is preparing for events like this:

And this thread is just Shameless Self Promotion. Mr. Bryan Francis is just trying to promote his training services by posting his videos all over the forums.

I feel sorry for the guy in the video. He prob has a good amount of power and strength and it’s wasted on workouts created by skinny guys.

Bodyweight squats to a bucket? Really?

I’d prefer having someone like that doing a weighted conditioning circuit such as:

Martin Rooney covered these in this article:

Cyco - While I understand that the dude’s form is pretty bad (especially those pushups), what’s wrong with the routine itself as far as conditioning?

I agree that it isn’t sport specific to… well, anything, but if the dude is simply trying to stay in shape, what’s the big deal?

I am genuinely curious here, I’m not being a dick either haha.

And yea, this is shameless self promotion. Poor man’s Defranco vids. Very poor.