Vic Richards From 16-18

I met Vic a long time ago. He was a friend of Swiss natural bodybuilder Michel Frauchiger who invited him over to Switzerland once.
He was pretty crazy… Without warming up befor he picked up a pair of 150 pound dumbbels and did a set with many, many reps on the incline bench.
When he did weighted dips, he had to add so much weight id looks unreal (all the plates between his legs).

When I met him, he wasn’t nearly as cocky as in the Flex interviews or in the media in general.
He deeply impressed me. But I never really understood why he didn’t want to compete or diet down and get realy shredded. Maybe it’s true, maybe he just didn’t see a point in entering competitions or taking one of the challanges offerd to him (many pros at the time said he could never beat them on stage…), but I don’t know. Maybe he really was a bit affraid of getting beat on stage by much smaller guys.

[quote]ParagonA wrote:
I met Vic a long time ago. He was a friend of Swiss natural bodybuilder Michel Frauchiger who invited him over to Switzerland once.
He was pretty crazy… Without warming up befor he picked up a pair of 150 pound dumbbels and did a set with many, many reps on the incline bench.
When he did weighted dips, he had to add so much weight id looks unreal (all the plates between his legs).
When I met him, he wasn’t nearly as cocky as in the Flex interviews or in the media in general.
He deeply impressed me. But I never really understood why he didn’t want to compete or diet down and get realy shredded. Maybe it’s true, maybe he just didn’t see a point in entering competitions or taking one of the challanges offerd to him (many pros at the time said he could never beat them on stage…), but I don’t know. Maybe he really was a bit affraid of getting beat on stage by much smaller guys.
[/quote]

Nothing he has ever said or written implied he was afraid. he hated the politics of bodybuilding. Also, the time at which he was coming up was still racially heated to some degree with talk of some bodybuilders getting more exposure or even winning more contests because they were white. I am not writing that to get into a debate, that is simply the way things were…also one of the reasons Robby Robinson sued Weider for using his image for that trophy.

Vic was always one of the most massive…and in the time he was coming up, that was just before they were truly awarding “mass monsters”. Back then, they used to say Mike Mattarrazo was too disproportionate for a top placing.

I can see why he avoided it. Guys like him do it for the fun of lifting weights and changing how they look…not to win a plastic trophy.

I know I personally don’t do this for competition…but I LOVE the fact that I have basically changed how I look completely just because I worked hard at it.

[quote]Professor X wrote:
ParagonA wrote:

Nothing he has ever said or written implied he was afraid. he hated the politics of bodybuilding. Also, the time at which he was coming up was still racially heated to some degree with talk of some bodybuilders getting more exposure or even winning more contests because they were white. I am not writing that to get into a debate, that is simply the way things were…also one of the reasons Robby Robinson sued Weider for using his image for that trophy.

Vic was always one of the most massive…and in the time he was coming up, that was just before they were truly awarding “mass monsters”. Back then, they used to say Mike Mattarrazo was too disproportionate for a top placing.

I can see why he avoided it. Guys like him do it for the fun of lifting weights and changing how they look…not to win a plastic trophy.

I know I personally don’t do this for competition…but I LOVE the fact that I have basically changed how I look completely just because I worked hard at it.[/quote]

True.

But he was also publically offending other bodybuilders all the time. He did accuse many people (like judges) and if he would have just wanted to be big and be a bodybuilder in his own right without stepping on stage, he could have done that without looking for exposure and without calling Labrada and Shawn Ray drafs… Which he did. He did say things like he could beat these small guys anytime, but that he didn’t see apoint in stepping onstage with these dwarfs. As soon as he had that said, people, of course, expected him to step on stage an prove it.

But don’t get me wrong. I respect Vic a lot. 10 years later, it would have been his time and muscle mass was far more awarded later. I see that, too.

I like the though of doing/living bodybuilding just for the sake of bodybuilding, of changing oneself. I highly respect that. It’s somehow the “purer” version of bodybuilding since the motivation comes all from the inside and isn’t exogenically induced.

He looks “smooth” because he never dieted down for a competition past the age of maybe 21. He hated dieting for comps and thought they were pointless.

I tend to agree. He lifted weights because he loved it…and he loved being fucking huge. Jumping on stage doesn’t make him any more or less a “BODYBUILDER”…even though some here would truly be dumb enough to argue that he wasn’t since he avoided competition as a rule.[/quote]

Watching another thread of Vic Richards I remembered you, and I was gonna ask if you knew of him, but I think of course you did. I think his highest bodyweight was 360~, no shit.

[quote]ParagonA wrote:
True.

But he was also publically offending other bodybuilders all the time. He did accuse many people (like judges) and if he would have just wanted to be big and be a bodybuilder in his own right without stepping on stage, he could have done that without looking for exposure and without calling Labrada and Shawn Ray drafs… Which he did. He did say things like he could beat these small guys anytime, but that he didn’t see apoint in stepping onstage with these dwarfs. As soon as he had that said, people, of course, expected him to step on stage an prove it.[/quote]

Why would they think that? No offense, but someone weighing over 300lbs looking like that couldn’t stay completely out of the spotlight no matter what they did so I wouldn’t blame him because he stayed remotely in the public eye after stating what he did. ANYONE that big is going to stand out whether they want to or not. He WOULD have beaten most of those guys competing back then unless they simply judged him poorly for conditioning. there was NO ONE that damn big with those proportions back then. Anyone even coming close back then looked horrible.

And again, he saw a major problem in the judging and also in favoritism…so why would he compete when he believed he wouldn’t get a fair shake?

This wasn’t the year 2009 and he likely would have been placed poorly back then in favor of more “mag cover favorable” people of the time like Gaspari or even Labrada.

You have to remember, the “mass monster” phase that took up the late 90’s and early 00’s was NEW. Before that, he would have scared the shit out of most judges.

He would be at the front of the pack if he was just starting TODAY.

[quote]

I like the though of doing/living bodybuilding just for the sake of bodybuilding, of changing oneself. I highly respect that. It’s somehow the “purer” version of bodybuilding since the motivation comes all from the inside and isn’t exogenically induced.[/quote]

Agreed. I do this for me alone. I love the attention at times, but that is not what keeps me going back and giving everything I have.

[quote]MEYMZ wrote:
Professor X wrote:

He looks “smooth” because he never dieted down for a competition past the age of maybe 21. He hated dieting for comps and thought they were pointless.

I tend to agree. He lifted weights because he loved it…and he loved being fucking huge. Jumping on stage doesn’t make him any more or less a “BODYBUILDER”…even though some here would truly be dumb enough to argue that he wasn’t since he avoided competition as a rule.

Watching another thread of Vic Richards I remembered you, and I was gonna ask if you knew of him, but I think of course you did. I think his highest bodyweight was 360~, no shit.[/quote]

I believe he lived in Houston for a while and still may. He keeps a low profile lately despite still looking like a fucking tank in his 40’s. I didn’t know him personally, but I know a lot about him.

What I love about bodybuilding is how good you can look even when your older… Train hard, eat right, be a healthy strong mofo and you can look great in your 40’s… Vic Richards present pic is AWESOME… all these older bodybuilders in their 40’s are looking phenomenal… makes me not afraid at all to age.

WOW! awesome!

I like the though of doing/living bodybuilding just for the sake of bodybuilding, of changing oneself. I highly respect that. It’s somehow the “purer” version of bodybuilding since the motivation comes all from the inside and isn’t exogenically induced.

Agreed. I do this for me alone. I love the attention at times, but that is not what keeps me going back and giving everything I have.

[/quote]

x2!

In the warriors code there’s no surrender…

I LOVE the fact that I have basically changed how I look completely just because I worked hard at it.[/quote]

Quoted again as think the hard work needs to be pointed out to some.

I read somewhere that he started training with the barbarian brothers at 15, after being spotted on a beach !!!

Prior to that, no working out??
Crazy!!

[quote]porkpie wrote:
I read somewhere that he started training with the barbarian brothers at 15, after being spotted on a beach !!!

Prior to that, no working out??
Crazy!!
[/quote]

I read something similar although in the one I read it was when he walked into Gold’s.

I don’t respect the man at all. Sorry.

He had a talent; the genetics and he obviously had the determination but he didn’t maximize his potential or at least utilize it. He could have been great but he just stood on the side lines.

Yeah its America I know you can do what YOU want but sometimes what you want isn’t whats best for you or isn’t serving you to accomplish “something.”

Ronnie talks about God giving him his gift, like he was put on the planet to be a bodybuilder. The difference between him and Vic? Ronnie’s got the shelf trophies and the influence.

We can only define great men as those who accomplished something greater than themselves and had an impact on society. Its only natural to feel agitated and remorseful at those that could have been great men.

[quote]Gettnitdone wrote:

He had a talent; the genetics and he obviously had the determination but he didn’t maximize his potential or at least utilize it. He could have been great but he just stood on the side lines.

Yeah its America I know you can do what YOU want but sometimes what you want isn’t whats best for you or isn’t serving you to accomplish “something.”

Ronnie talks about God giving him his gift, like he was put on the planet to be a bodybuilder. The difference between him and Vic? Ronnie’s got the shelf trophies and the influence.

We can only define great men as those who accomplished something greater than themselves and had an impact on society. Its only natural to feel agitated and remorseful at those that could have been great men. [/quote]

WTF? Though I also wish we had been able to see Vic compete, this is utter bullshit dude. He has nothing to prove to anyone else and did what he wanted to do. Competition against others was not his goal if you’ve followed him or read about him AT ALL. Vic was all about improving and perfecting HIMSELF.

So what, Ronnie has the trophies…and? Some people don’t need trophies to feel good about what they KNOW they have accomplished. As for your last line, you can define great men in a number of ways. Vic obviously didn’t feel he owed anything to anyone else and I think he was right.

We can only define great men as those who accomplished something greater than themselves and had an impact on society. Its only natural to feel agitated and remorseful at those that could have been great men. [/quote]

I dunno mate.

I train Rugby League players and alot of the pacific islander guys have the same opinion as Vic. They are young, massive and gentically gifted but deep down in side they really are not as interested as others. They do it cause somebody else told them they could be good at it and make a bit of money but the PASSION, that burning f$%#ing passion isn’t there. You can see it in their training and effort.

On the other hand there are guys with much less talent and much poorer genetics that train twice as hard, never drink or misbehave and work on their skills constantly, AND STILL DON’T GET A SHOT.

It’s annoying as hell as you can see how good they could be but it’s their choice…

[quote]Dabba wrote:

WTF? Though I also wish we had been able to see Vic compete, this is utter bullshit dude. He has nothing to prove to anyone else and did what he wanted to do. Competition against others was not his goal if you’ve followed him or read about him AT ALL. Vic was all about improving and perfecting HIMSELF. So what, Ronnie has the trophies…and? Some people don’t need trophies to feel good about what they KNOW they have accomplished. As for your last line, you can define great men in a number of ways. Vic obviously didn’t feel he owed anything to anyone else and I think he was right.
[/quote]

OK w/e its MY opinion =P

I didnt say he had to prove himself the whole point of my post was that there WAS another path that would have made him successful. I think its foolish to say that “OK he did this; hes perfect.”

I dont mind you guys responding to my comments but can we just tone it down.

Keep those boys working hard mate. I live in NZ and our boys here generally know if they have the talent and if they do they give it their hundie. If uve ever been here ull know we pretty much live rugby. Go the warriors mate.

U guys got a ways to go b4 the wallabies get anyway near our ABs (and stop blaming Dean) buts thats another discussion in itself haha

Dabba wrote:

WTF? Though I also wish we had been able to see Vic compete, this is utter bullshit dude. He has nothing to prove to anyone else and did what he wanted to do. Competition against others was not his goal if you’ve followed him or read about him AT ALL. Vic was all about improving and perfecting HIMSELF. So what, Ronnie has the trophies…and? Some people don’t need trophies to feel good about what they KNOW they have accomplished. As for your last line, you can define great men in a number of ways. Vic obviously didn’t feel he owed anything to anyone else and I think he was right.

OK w/e its MY opinion =P

I didnt say he had to prove himself the whole point of my post was that there WAS another path that would have made him successful. I think its foolish to say that “OK he did this; hes perfect.”

stockzy wrote:

Keep those boys working hard mate. I live in NZ and our boys here generally know if they have the talent and if they do they give it their hundie. If uve ever been here ull know we pretty much live rugby. Go the warriors mate.

U guys got a ways to go b4 the wallabies get anyway near our ABs (and stop blaming Dean) buts thats another discussion in itself haha

[/quote]

I remember in an interview he said his trophy fell apart after an early contest of his and that is when he knew that competition was not for him. His body is probably healthier today because of avoiding the intesne dieting.

I don’t know where you got the impression that people here are claiming he is perfect. But it does take a strong sense of security in yourself to have that much potential and NOT be clamoring for attention and magazine covers. He admire him for sticking to his reasons and walking away.

[/quote]

You say you don’t respect a man that has accomplished 100x more than you ever will in your life, because he didn’t do what he didn’t WANT to do, and want people to tone down their opinions of YOU?

You, my friend are soft. You’re brain doesn’t function correctly.

Don’t be so quick to tear down others, fucking arm chair quarterbacking, if you don’t want people to tear you down.

What are your stats again?

[quote]countingbeans wrote:
Gettnitdone wrote:

You say you don’t respect a man that has accomplished 100x more than you ever will in your life, because he didn’t do what he didn’t WANT to do, and want people to tone down their opinions of YOU?

You, my friend are soft. You’re brain doesn’t function correctly.

Don’t be so quick to tear down others, fucking arm chair quarterbacking, if you don’t want people to tear you down.

What are your stats again? [/quote]

lol its the next Prof. X, hahahaha. Quick to insult and name call anyone who has a different viewpoint.

What was the need to call him “brain soft” and accuse him of “armchair quarterbacking”?

And “What are your stats”… pff, that shit is old man. Anytime someone has a clash of opinions, the person who lifts more and has a lower bf% is automatically correct. WTF?

Because what someone lifts CLEARLY has a bearing on their opinions. I mean, shit, post some pics of IFBB judges who look like they even lift. Yet they’re judging BB.

Again, its a discussion board. Some ppl on here are way too sensitive about BB, and can’t take a single negative comment, however well founded it may be.

[quote]JAMESROSE666 wrote:

they see me trollin[/quote]

Dude why not post under your original screenname?