T Nation

Vibration Training

hello chaps.

my mum has recently purchased a vibration plate.

i have made some good gains with a split routine, but was just wondering whether i should have a go with at vibration training?

i have read various research articles that show the effectiveness of vibration training, but this is usually compared with people who don’t do any training of any type.

however, i did find something which said that vibration training causes an increase of growth hormones

so surely it would be worth supplementing my routine with this?

does anybody else use it?
thanks.

[quote]the_wildman wrote:
hello chaps.

my mum has recently purchased a vibration plate.

i have made some good gains with a split routine, but was just wondering whether i should have a go with at vibration training?

i have read various research articles that show the effectiveness of vibration training, but this is usually compared with people who don’t do any training of any type.

however, i did find something which said that vibration training causes an increase of growth hormones

so surely it would be worth supplementing my routine with this?

does anybody else use it?
thanks.[/quote]

http://blogcritics.org/archives/2006/09/18/183120.php

Sounds like your mum’s going to be having some fun with that. Im sure her hormones will be raging after a few sessions on that badboy.

Apparently doing squats on a vibration plate allows you to use a lighter weight while hitting the fibers as hard as if you had a heavy weight on the bar.

I would need to see a study or something on this, but it seems like a good rehab tool.

Now thats just wrong… :slight_smile:

[quote]Moomin wrote:
Sounds like your mum’s going to be having some fun with that. Im sure her hormones will be raging after a few sessions on that badboy.[/quote]

I’ve stood on one of these things before, and I can’t really think of much use for one.

Maybe if you’ve sprained your ankle, you could stand on this thing and get some blood in your ankle.

I guess you could also use it for some easy recovery after a leg day.

I really don’t see much use for these things, but if you’ve already got it, you might as well find a use for it.

If you try it you will have to post your results. However, I do not think the plate is going to produce miracles. As far as producing positive hormonal changes, heavy weight lifting and interval training that produces high levels of lactate both produce positive hormonal changes. As far as the endocrine system goes, it may not be the machine (or barbell, dumbell, kettleball, body weight, or whatever) that brings about positives changes as much as the intensity.

I would be careful with certain lifts on a vibration plate. If a lack of balance could cause injuries then you are probably better off on stable footing. For example: squats and deadlifts on a vibration platform could really set one up for injury. The same may be true for a lot of compound exercises.

Just like any piece of equipment there is probably some use and benefit to be derived from it. My hunch is that the uses and benefits of it are far less that time spent just doing heavy, compound exercises with stable footing. Just my 2 cents.

Vibration training is bullshit.

This post was flagged by the community and is temporarily hidden.

[quote]Fulmen wrote:
Vibration training is bullshit.[/quote]

So Fulmen, any reason why you say this? Have you tried it for any extended period of time or read and understood the research behind it?

I thought this had to be BS, however I signed up my 130lb 6’1" 16 year old son at a local gym which coincidentally has two Powerplates which he used as part of his twice a week one hour sessions, supervised by a trainer who I respect greatly. He was not in an untrained state and could squat, deadlift etc in good form and practices a number of sports.

So, after 6 weeks he was 138lbs (no increase in bodyfat} on a program not even designed for hypertrophy! Now I know that there are a lot of other factors in play, but the only new variable was the vibration training.

So am I sold! No, but I am giving it a try myself to see if it does anything for me. If anyone is interested I’ll post my experiences.

I can’t imagine any decent program that wouldn’t put AT LEAST 8 pounds on a 6’1 130lb 16 year old.

Vibrating ab belts were really popular a few years ago. I finally want to get one, but the ads never appear on television anymore. It would be great if I didn’t have to do sit-ups anymore.

what ever happened to those vibration belts? just seems like these power plates are an updated version of the theory behind the belts used in the 50s. not sure i buy the claims being made about them. seems like people are always looking to overcomplicate fitness.

[quote]soupandspoons wrote:
I can’t imagine any decent program that wouldn’t put AT LEAST 8 pounds on a 6’1 130lb 16 year old.[/quote]

On an already conditioned individual on a sport oriented program in only 6 weeks?

Like I said I’m not sold on the concept, but I am willing to keep an open mind and try it for myself.

[quote]Turbo-T wrote:
soupandspoons wrote:
I can’t imagine any decent program that wouldn’t put AT LEAST 8 pounds on a 6’1 130lb 16 year old.

On an already conditioned individual on a sport oriented program in only 6 weeks?

Like I said I’m not sold on the concept, but I am willing to keep an open mind and try it for myself.[/quote]

Your son was underweight, in fact he still is. As a teenage boy, simply eating enough calories would pack on some muscle.

Get on Nick Granthams web site off of EC’s blog . He has published a book on vibration training.
Dr. Tim