Vibrams and Fila Five Fingers In Powerlifting

[quote]Professor X wrote:

[quote]DoubleDuce wrote:

I’ve had my pair for a year and a half. I wear them for all my lifting and conditioning as well as lots of walking and hiking. Other than being dirty and smelly, mine are still in good shape. [/quote]

I found this fascinating machine in my house that uses Asgardian magic to “wash” clothes. You turn a few dials and water appears from no where and 40 min later…CLEAN CLOTHES.

I put my Vibrams in there and they were also “washed”. I will look into what incantations need to be chanted for you to experience the same machine when I get home.
[/quote]

Hah. I wash them every month or so and spray them with disinfectant about every week, but it only takes a couple of good workouts for them to smell like a sulfuric burning pit of hell again.

I’ve been a little worried to put them in the washer too often and have them wear out faster.

Which model do you guys have?
I have a pair of new balance minimus mt10’s which I love. They have the vibram sole. And I’d like to pick up a pair of five fingers.

I have the treksports

I lift in socks. But as my platform is naked plywood, newer socks can be slippery, in fact I injured myself squatting due to a foot slip. I’ve been thinking of getting those Vibrams - probably will after reading the positive comments in this thread.

[quote]DoubleDuce wrote:

[quote]DoubleDuce wrote:

I’ve had my pair for a year and a half. I wear them for all my lifting and conditioning as well as lots of walking and hiking. Other than being dirty and smelly, mine are still in good shape. [/quote]

I found this fascinating machine in my house that uses Asgardian magic to “wash” clothes. You turn a few dials and water appears from no where and 40 min later…CLEAN CLOTHES.

I put my Vibrams in there and they were also “washed”. I will look into what incantations need to be chanted for you to experience the same machine when I get home.
[/quote]

Hah. I wash them every month or so and spray them with disinfectant about every week, but it only takes a couple of good workouts for them to smell like a sulfuric burning pit of hell again.

I’ve been a little worried to put them in the washer too often and have them wear out faster.[/quote]

The PT’s in my gym(who actually lift!) swear by the 5 finger socks. Saves having to wash them so often and they don’t stink at all. They can be pretty pricey but you can find great deals in eBay

[quote]Jereth127 wrote:

[quote]DoubleDuce wrote:

[quote]DoubleDuce wrote:

[/quote]

I’ve been a little worried to put them in the washer too often and have them wear out faster.[/quote]

The PT’s in my gym(who actually lift!) swear by the 5 finger socks. Saves having to wash them so often and they don’t stink at all. They can be pretty pricey but you can find great deals in eBay
[/quote]

Yup, I always wear the socks. The smell is unreal otherwise.

Goldbond and a hand rinse with clothes washing detergent and I let them air dry in front of a fan. I did that with the 5 fingers and the merrels I have now.

[quote]Fletch1986 wrote:
Goldbond and a hand rinse with clothes washing detergent and I let them air dry in front of a fan. I did that with the 5 fingers and the merrels I have now.[/quote]

I guess my feet don’t smell that bad. If I wash mine once every 2 or 3 weeks I’m good. Air dry them and they are ready to go.

I also wash the bottom of my feet with a sanitary wipe before I put them on so maybe people should stop putting them on when they’re feet are already dirty.

Been lifting in Vibram KSOs for 2 years. Absolutely love them for the bare feel and grip/friction.

Fletch, if they tore and you want to try em again, get one of their newer pairs with the laces. I believe the reason they made those is for people with higher steps that the velcro ones werent fitting as well. It might help. Or you might have fat toes. I wore the merrells for about six months, I still wear them, but decided they were not the same. I think that kevlar guard they use takes some of the feel away.
Ditto to the toe socks, really takes the smell away, but be warned, once you wear them, you will realize how constricting regular socks are.

[quote]SILVERDAN7 wrote:
but be warned, once you wear them, you will realize how constricting regular socks are.[/quote]

Agreed. I actually hate wearing socks now…and I can control my feet better.

What I mean is, before wearing these, I couldn’t move any individual toe aside from the largest one singularly. I had lost that mind muscle connection with those appendages and they were used to working as a group instead of individually. I can now control all toes individually and that alone enhances my balance and stability.

How much more advantageous would five fingers be over wrestling shoes? I squat and deadlift in wrestling shoes and feel fine in them bt was wondering if the five fingers may make me “feel” more stable

I spray mine down with 70% isopropyl alcohol every other workout. It does a good job of eliminating the smell.

[quote]Efeguwewe wrote:
How much more advantageous would five fingers be over wrestling shoes? I squat and deadlift in wrestling shoes and feel fine in them bt was wondering if the five fingers may make me “feel” more stable[/quote]

Wreslting shoes are much better than naked shoes for squatting. I can understand wanting to go as close to barefoot as possible while deadlifting, but squatting, you still want a hard sole to push the sides against.