Vibram Five Fingers

Anyone ever try these?

…and I thought crocs looked bad

What is the purpose of those shoes? They look bizarre, but kind of cool

I use Vibram insoles in my mountain boots and they are great. Very comfortable and massively reduce shock through the feet when climbing.

These look very interesting though. I’m sure they’ll be really comfy and I agree with JB - they definately look strange but I kinda like them.

With the name “Sprint” I assume some sort of runnning footwear?

I saw ‘Viibram five fingers’ and expected to se some vibratot in the shape of a hand or something like that.

is the price $550 I cannot see properly

The soles look a little thin for running, personally I prefer a thicker cushioned sole, I would love a pair of these though be a good talking point down the gym

whoah. My cousin wears these glove-socks. Basically socks that have a little compartment for each toe (like your pic above). They look creepy as hell when she has her shoes off -lol

S

£70 pounds UK - Having had a bit of a google and a read about them I’m getting quite tempted. They look great for bouldering - there’s a report of a guy called Ted McDonald running the Boston Marathon in them.

Wonder if I could attach crampons …

This is the first shoe Vibram bought out. There and Italian firm and make Soles for boots such as timberland/berghaus. Quality stuff and these are supposedly a good purchase for boat-work, beach/trail runing etc.
I’m tempted too.

those are really good shoes. i have two pair.

Looks like a good shoe for deadlifting .

[quote]NATOR wrote:
Looks like a good shoe for deadlifting .[/quote]

Yeah I was thinking that. I normally deadlift barefoot but being diabetic I’ve really got to watch that kind of thing - My doc went ape shit when I told her!

These look like they’d be a close second to having nothing on my feet.

[quote]Renton wrote:
NATOR wrote:

Yeah I was thinking that. I normally deadlift barefoot but being diabetic I’ve really got to watch that kind of thing - My doc went ape shit when I told her!

These look like they’d be a close second to having nothing on my feet.[/quote]

Can you tell us why wearing something on your feet is ultra important for diabetics or am I missing something really obvious here?

[quote]supermick wrote:
Renton wrote:
NATOR wrote:

These look like they’d be a close second to having nothing on my feet.

Can you tell us why wearing something on your feet is ultra important for diabetics or am I missing something really obvious here?

[/quote]

Suppose it’s not well known (at least if you are not diabetic)!

Diabetes slowly brings on neuropathy - A change in the way blood flows through the smaller veins which can affect various extremities - especially the feet.

As it’s a progressive condition, the effects become slowly more severe and it’s quite common to lose various sensations of pain in the feet. This can be to sharp quick pain (standing on a nail) or slower pain such as having your foot minced in a grinder (however unlikely that is to happen).

As such it is vitally important to look after your feet. Especially coupled with the fact that diabetics heal from cuts at a lower rate than non diabetics. I don’t yet suffer that problem and still heal faster than most people I know but the time will come.

Un-noticed injuries can also quickly lead to gangrene and the obvious consequences of that.

As an example, I had an email from the wife of an internet friend who was also diabetic for around 15 years. He wasn’t the greatest at looking after his condition and only noticed an injury on the sole of his right foot probably a few weeks after it had happened. Sounds weird I know but it’s amazing how much we rely on pain feelings to tell us something is wrong.

Anyhow, after being admitted to hospital for treatment they discovered gangrene spreading up his leg. They amputated below the knee then above then finally his entire right leg in an attempt to save him but it had got into his bone and spread into his torso. He died just 11 days after being admitted. The email was to tell me he’d not made it.

This is a fairly extreme case admittedly, but I don’t intend to take any risks that could put me in that situation if I can help it.

Hope that answers your question.

[quote]swivel wrote:
those are really good shoes. i have two pair. [/quote]

At $ 550 each?

Edit, I just saw 70 pounds. Still steep but not as rEEEdiculous.

[quote]Zap Branigan wrote:
swivel wrote:

At $ 550 each?[/quote]

Nah mate - £70 Uk - $170 USD?

[quote]Renton wrote:
Zap Branigan wrote:
swivel wrote:

At $ 550 each?

Nah mate - £70 Uk - $170 USD?[/quote]

[Edit] - You beat me to it!

http://www.vibramfivefingers.com/

I believe they cost between US $70-$90

They do offer a few models for various activities.

[quote]Renton wrote:
£70 pounds UK - Having had a bit of a google and a read about them I’m getting quite tempted. They look great for bouldering.

Wonder if I could attach crampons …[/quote]

Kinda what I was thinking. But seriously, crampons? LNT man. why would you want to scratch up and chip a great boulder problem or route? Unless you’re thinking of going alpine climbing…

[quote]Zap Branigan wrote:
swivel wrote:

At $ 550 each?

Edit, I just saw 70 pounds. Still steep but not as rEEEdiculous.[/quote]

no not even that much. i paid $70 for the original model and then i got the ones pictured above for $80. i got both right off their website.

thanks for all the replies guys

lol stu… they aren’t socks, these are actually shoes, the soles are rubberized and they supposedly grip the ground real well. but i agree, they do look a bit creepy. at least the ladies at the gym will be staring at your big feet!

actually i was thinking of using them for squatting and deadlifting… does anyone actually use them for that?

[quote]p3nguin wrote:
thanks for all the replies guys

lol stu… they aren’t socks, these are actually shoes, the soles are rubberized and they supposedly grip the ground real well. but i agree, they do look a bit creepy. at least the ladies at the gym will be staring at your big feet!

actually i was thinking of using them for squatting and deadlifting… does anyone actually use them for that? [/quote]

yes they’re awesome. the grip is phenomenal and the feedback from the floor is much sharper than regular shoes.