Vibram Five Fingers

i’ve been wearing these for just over a month now and they are killer.

the first day i put them on i was like no way will these work, i had to shimmy my little toes into the proper fingers and it just felt too weird having fabric between my toes but that feeling quickly dissipates.

the best thing about these is the ultra low profile and the grip. the grip is fantastic. it’s better than barefoot because you can grab everything with your toes which are encased in tacky, razor-siped rubber. just walking around i use my toes for grip everywhere.a huge improvement for squats,deads, cleans. and i find them especially awesome for overhead squats and single legged stuff where minute foot adjustment may may or break the lift. seriously the enhanced foot function compared to my normal kicks (adidas samba) is like the difference in the water with and without fins. not only can you grip everything but you can feel everything too. like the the texture of the flooring. even chalk dust on the floor.

the only thing negative i have to say is the don’t breath that well. actually i don’t think they breath any worse than any other shoe but there’s really nothing to absorb any sweat underneath so even a small amount of moisture is noticeable, especially on the sole. not a big deal though.

granted these shoes look a little goofy and therefore are not for everyone. i have no problem wearing them as people think i’m a stoner anyway. regardless of looks they’re now my favorite work-out shoe. as long as i don’t drop anything.

I’ve always wanted to try out a pair, but they’re a bit pricey for slippers. But if they’re as good as you (and a lot of other people) make them out to be it may be worth it.

If only they didn’t look so damn goofy…

How durable is the sole? These would be great for canoeing rivers as I generally dislike the typical water shoes and gym shoes always get rocks in them.

But, if the soles are easily chewed up and I can’t use them for anything else, well I guess I’ll keep getting rocks in my shoes. What do you think? Will the soles tolerate the rocks?

I would check out a pair and see for myself, but there aren’t any dealers her in Kansas.

Squatting in those would be a seriously BAD idea. Deadlift - i’d give them a go though. Ideal for a holiday - beach and sea, rocks etc. I’ve only heard positive things about this shoe.

I could play ninja in those!!!

[quote]supermick wrote:
Squatting in those would be a seriously BAD idea.[/quote]

Why?

[quote]smallnomore wrote:
supermick wrote:
Squatting in those would be a seriously BAD idea.

Why?

[/quote]

Why +1? I’ve squated barefoot before, it felt good.

[quote]smallnomore wrote:
supermick wrote:

Why?

[/quote]

Sevaral reasons really: -

1)little or no arch support
2)decreased stability
3)slightly improved leverage (with propper squat shoe)
4) depending on the type of squat, few people posses the ankle flexibility required to go deep. A slight heel on a squat shoe for example helps.
5)Squat shoes are meant for that - squatting - those shoes are not designed for anything over a couple hundred pounds (i.e. your bodyweight)

But I have no arch to speak of. Seriously if you painted my foot, it would leave a brick shaped footprint.

[quote]supermick wrote:
smallnomore wrote:
supermick wrote:

Why?

2)decreased stability
4) depending on the type of squat, few people posses the ankle flexibility required to go deep. A slight heel on a squat shoe for example helps.
5)Squat shoes are meant for that - squatting - those shoes are not designed for anything over a couple hundred pounds (i.e. your bodyweight)[/quote]

I know someone who had the opportunity to personally consult with Jay Schroeder recently, and this is the number one shoe he has his athletes work out in, including squat and all variations thereof.

Here’s a link to his client?le list:
arpprogram.com/ultrafit/clients.html

I would say that these are excellent shoes to work out in if one has athletic goals.

i’m not a power lifter so i don’t have an opinion on heavy squatting in these. i’ve never worn squat shoes and probably don’t need to as i don’t have a big squat, 180kg is my best sqaut and i weigh around 175lb right now. but i will say i greatly prefer squatting in these to my indoor soccer shoes. the most i’ve squatted in these is 160kg. i squat oly style. high bar & narrow.

as for durability i predict these things will last a long time. they make other models with straps for river running and they also have a model with a full neoprene boot.

this runner guy “barefoot ted”

says he’s got 400 miles on a pair and the sole is like new. he keeps a blog on all of his runs and then vibram sponsored him so he did abunch of runs in them in addition t his normal barefoot stuff. last year he ran san diego marathon, l.a. and boston marathons also a couple 100 mile endurance runs in five fingers and people ask him a bunch a questions about them on his blog . check it out.

i got mine straight from the site. i ordered my normal shoe size 44 euro and they fit great. though they do say on their site somewhere if your second toe is a lot longer than your big toe they might not fit so well.

[quote]T Affliction G wrote:
supermick wrote:
smallnomore wrote:
supermick wrote:

Why?

2)decreased stability
5)Squat shoes are meant for that - squatting - those shoes are not designed for anything over a couple hundred pounds (i.e. your bodyweight)

I know someone who had the opportunity to personally consult with Jay Schroeder recently, and this is the number one shoe he has his athletes work out in, including squat and all variations thereof.

Here’s a link to his client?le list:
arpprogram.com/ultrafit/clients.html

I would say that these are excellent shoes to work out in if one has athletic goals.
[/quote]

Based on one guys opinions? - I agree, general gym working ou - fine, deadlifting - they maybe great but squatting - your having a laugh mate.

I’m not saying you cant squat in them - but are they optimum? safe even? No and probably not.

Your call - its your feet and squatting performance.

[quote]Taquito wrote:
But I have no arch to speak of. Seriously if you painted my foot, it would leave a brick shaped footprint.[/quote]

And?

Why should this alter your need for a good squatting shoe?

You squat in whatever you want mate, my preference though, would not be a vibram 5 finger.

Seems like they’d be hard to fit properly.

It’s hard enough finding a shoe that fits the bottom of my foot. Throw in trying to fit them to my toes as well sounds difficult.

They look like awesome surf fishing shoes.

[quote]supermick wrote:
Taquito wrote:
But I have no arch to speak of. Seriously if you painted my foot, it would leave a brick shaped footprint.

And?

Why should this alter your need for a good squatting shoe?

You squat in whatever you want mate, my preference though, would not be a vibram 5 finger.

[/quote]

I’m confused, what is the difference in squatting barefoot as opposed to wearing Chuck Ts?

[quote]tGunslinger wrote:
Seems like they’d be hard to fit properly.

It’s hard enough finding a shoe that fits the bottom of my foot. Throw in trying to fit them to my toes as well sounds difficult.[/quote]

it’s not that hard to fit as they’re pretty stretchy and there’s a zip cord on the back that locks the tightness you prefer. my 4th an 5th toes don’t quite fill out the shoe but it’s not even noticeable.

[quote]BigRagoo wrote:
I could play ninja in those!!!
[/quote]

They look like they would be good on slippery slopes too!

Do they accomodate different toe sizes easily? I have very long toes compared to my foot size.

DB

[quote]Taquito wrote:
But I have no arch to speak of.[/quote]

You should get yourself some.

Don’t you have knee pain when running? Does your patella track OK?