T Nation

VERY Skinny. What Program?

Hey guys,

I need some advice from people who have experience in bulking…

Background:
I used to weight 105 lbs/47kg when I was 18 yo. My height was 5 feet 7 (170 cm).

Then I decided to bulk up and in about 8 months of doing Stronglifts 5x5 (very simmilar to Starting Strength), eating 3500-5000 kcal my stats were:

BW: 135 lbs/60 kg

1x SQ 225 lbs/100 kg
1x DL 275 lbs/125 kg
1x BP 135 lbs/60 kg
1x OHP 90 lbs/40 kg

Then I took a break from all the lifting and eating for several months and now my weight is 53 kg (5 feet 7, almost 20yo). Also I am weaker and technique is worser.


I am looking for a training program that will make me grow stronger and bigger as fast as possible.

SL 5x5 seems pretty good but I am wondering if there´s anything better. Also I hate the days where you do Squats, Presses and Deadlifts in a same day…Fried my brain.

Considered 5/3/1 with BBB…but didn´t liked that it´s a split and it´s 4x/week (I prefer 3x/week).

Any suggestions?

Thanks

You can do 5/3/1 3 times a week and if you prefer fullbody over splits, you can use a fullbody template.

http://www.T-Nation.com/strength-training-topics/1316

^thats a fullbody variation of 5/3/1.

In the end it doesnt matter if you use stronglifts or 5/3/1, what matters is that you hit the gym on
a consisten basis and are giving some effort on your selected lifts. In my opinion you should pick something you enjoy, but at the same time are proven to work. There are hundreds of programs on this site for free, so it is just to do some searching and pick one you like.

Good luck.

thanks…

forgot to mention that I feel kinda retarded if I´d do BBB 5x10 with an empty bar (on OHP, on BP maybe put like 5-10 lb plates)…it just feels off.

[quote]ChinaBoy wrote:
Hey guys,

I need some advice from people who have experience in bulking…

Background:
I used to weight 105 lbs/47kg when I was 18 yo. My height was 5 feet 7 (170 cm).

Then I decided to bulk up and in about 8 months of doing Stronglifts 5x5 (very simmilar to Starting Strength), eating 3500-5000 kcal my stats were:

BW: 135 lbs/60 kg

1x SQ 225 lbs/100 kg
1x DL 275 lbs/125 kg
1x BP 135 lbs/60 kg
1x OHP 90 lbs/40 kg

Then I took a break from all the lifting and eating for several months and now my weight is 53 kg (5 feet 7, almost 20yo). Also I am weaker and technique is worser.


I am looking for a training program that will make me grow stronger and bigger as fast as possible.

SL 5x5 seems pretty good but I am wondering if thereÃ?´s anything better. Also I hate the days where you do Squats, Presses and Deadlifts in a same day…Fried my brain.

Considered 5/3/1 with BBB…but didnÃ?´t liked that itÃ?´s a split and itÃ?´s 4x/week (I prefer 3x/week).

Any suggestions?

Thanks[/quote]

I also suggest the 5/3/1 full body template. But more importantly, you need to decide now if you are in this for the long haul, or are you gonna quit for “several months” and lose all your gains again?

My goal is to be 65 kg year long and with low body fat (8-10%)…

Hopefully this will be easy to maintain…as I plan on travelling a lot.

Strength goals are 300 lbs SQ, 400 lbs DL, 200 lbs BP, 20 pullups, 20 dips.

So for the next several months to a year I want to decicate a lot of time into bulking up and once I reach my goals I will keep lifting weights as a secondary hobby…

[quote]ChinaBoy wrote:
thanks…

forgot to mention that I feel kinda retarded if I´d do BBB 5x10 with an empty bar (on OHP, on BP maybe put like 5-10 lb plates)…it just feels off.[/quote]

Get the 5/3/1 e-book and read it, Wendler has plenty in there about not letting your ego get in the way of your progress. Big guys in the gym, they did light stuff before they lifted heavy stuff so they’ll appreciate what you’re doing. Anyone who would question what you’re doing probably isn’t and will never be big and strong.

Worst thing a lifter can have is an ego

So you don’t want a routine thats too physically demanding. You only want to workout 3 times a week. Yet you want to get big as fast as possible?

You have this all wrong i’m afraid!

[quote]ChinaBoy wrote:
My goal is to be 65 kg year long and with low body fat (8-10%)…

Hopefully this will be easy to maintain…as I plan on travelling a lot.

Strength goals are 300 lbs SQ, 400 lbs DL, 200 lbs BP, 20 pullups, 20 dips.

So for the next several months to a year I want to decicate a lot of time into bulking up and once I reach my goals I will keep lifting weights as a secondary hobby…[/quote]

You should aim for atleast 70-75kg lean if you want to look like you lift, I doubt you will be able to reach those weights with 65kg at that height, except if you are a freak of nature. I weigh somewhere beetwen 60-65kg at 175cm and I look skinny as hell, I think I have too get to atleast 75kg to look like I lift and 80kg is probably the sweet spot for a natural at my height.

Well, those goals are “easy” to reach, you just need to do 3 things.

  1. Train consistently on a program that makes sense.
  2. Eat like you are paid to do so.
  3. Be patient.

Eat a lot , and then eat some more. Drink whole milk maybe mix in protein eat a huge breakfast lunch and dinner everyday.

Eat more, train more, stay consistent… Sorry to tell you but you said you quit for a while and quitting never solves problems.

There is no way to get as strong as possible and as big as possible FAST. Hell if you wanna weigh 69kg and squat 3 plates, unless you’re gifted, it’s going to take more than 2-3 months. Lots more. I remember reading an article, a guy took 19 years to total elite; 1900lbs. 19 years! What have you done consistently for 19 years?

O and btw, someone at 5’7 150-160lbs at 8% bf will look much better than someone at 5’7 135 pounds. Why would you wanna stay so light?

Put some effort in, stop bitching about the extra day, stop bitching about how the big lifts kill you. Get strong and drink lots of milk.

Eating shouldn´t be that much of a problem…I was eating 4000-4500 kcal consistently when I was around 55 kg. If I did it before I can do it again.

Weight lifting/bulking up is not my no 1 priority…it´s one of my many life goals.

I don´t wanna weight “too much” as it´s time consuming to maintain it. I don´t really wanna eat 5000+ kcal for life to maintain my weight.

I am gonna check my digestion…

I decided to milk out the 5x5 program (already progressed to 3x5)…once I cannot progress on workout day basis I will switch to 5/3/1 fullbody.

One of your problems is you want to “gain as fast as possible” and stay at “8-10% bodyfat all year round” and lifting and eating “isn’t a no. 1 priority.” Good luck with that. There isn’t a magic weight-lifting fairy that will grant you a wish and make you big and strong, you have to commit to it and put in the work and not be afraid to gain some body fat in the process.

[quote]ChinaBoy wrote:

Weight lifting/bulking up is not my no 1 priority…it´s one of my many life goals.

quote]

I just hope you work harder towards you “other” goals in life.

Jenny Craig for Skinny Bastards : ) what ever that fat dead bitch suggests, do and eat the opposite :wink:

[quote]ChinaBoy wrote:
Then I decided to bulk up and in about 8 months , eating 3500-5000 kcal…
Then I took a break from all the lifting and eating for several months[/quote]
Well, ^There’s^ your problem

[quote]
I am looking for a training program that will make me grow stronger and bigger as fast as possible.[/quote]
It’s called food. I can’t show you the magic muscle gaining lifts until you eat enough otherwise your arms and legs will fall off. If you think eating 3000 calories and lifting is something you need a break from, I have bad news for ya.

[quote]ChinaBoy wrote:
My goal is to be 65 kg year long and with low body fat (8-10%)…[/quote]
Your shooting for 145? RLY?

[quote]
Strength goals are 300 lbs SQ, 400 lbs DL, 200 lbs BP, 20 pullups, 20 dips.[/quote]
This I like

[quote]
…once I reach my goals I will keep lifting weights as a secondary hobby…[/quote]
Last time you stopped “bulking” you lost 20 pounds. If you don’t see what the problem is I can’t help.

Yea,

My plan is to focus on it hardcore for like a year…be at 65 kg.

And then focus hardcore on other areas while keeping lifting weights as a secondary hobby and slowly getting my lifts up.

Anyways didn’t got a lot of value but nevermind…

I am doing 3x5 for now, still working on technique…after I no longer add 2,5 kg 3x a week I will probably which to weekly (MadCow) or monthly (5/3/1) progression.

[quote]JLone wrote:

[quote]ChinaBoy wrote:
Then I decided to bulk up and in about 8 months , eating 3500-5000 kcal…
Then I took a break from all the lifting and eating for several months[/quote]
Well, ^There’s^ your problem

[quote]
I am looking for a training program that will make me grow stronger and bigger as fast as possible.[/quote]
It’s called food. I can’t show you the magic muscle gaining lifts until you eat enough otherwise your arms and legs will fall off. If you think eating 3000 calories and lifting is something you need a break from, I have bad news for ya.[/quote]

I’ll show him the 360 program

… for only one low payment of $29.99