T Nation

Very Overweight & Nothing Has Worked

I am very over weight and nothing has ever worked for me when it comes to diets. I know its not a diet its a lifestyle change but even with that being said I can barely stand another second looking like this. I came here because its discrete and anonymous for the most part. I’m looking to drop my fat and get ripped as fast as possible. I know I’ll get flamed for this but I’m desperate.
If you want I’ll post pics, but I’m 5’8 230

And what exactly are you looking for?

Magic pills were discontinued a few months ago.

Go to the homepage and read the backlog of articles. There are many on diet and training. A LOT of people here have been overweight and turned it around.

If it hasn’t worked in the past, chances are you were doing something really wrong.

This is square one! Start again.

LR

Not magic pills but thanks for asking. Did that make you feel better about yourself big guy?
Sorry I was unclear about my wants…I was looking for feed back from people who’ve been where I am. Thanks in advanced to those who would like to actually help.

Thanks LR

Try trying harder. That usually works for me. That and a lot of hard work.

Shugs says you can’t out-train a shitty diet. You also can’t out-diet a shitty work ethic. Get your ass in the gym and move something. Hell, get outside and move something. If you’re not willing to put in the time and effort, just accept being fat and quit bitching.

Let me make the idea easier to grasp:

1. Muscle burns fat
  2. Dieting burns muscle
  3. Less muscle burns less fat

OR

1. Muscle burns fat
  2. Work builds muscle
  3. More muscle burns more fat

Yes, I know it’s more complicated than that in reality. But for a beginner who wants more muscle and less fat, it IS that simple in practice. Master the art of getting your ass off the couch, then come back for more.

[quote]magic71 wrote:
I am very over weight and nothing has ever worked for me when it comes to diets.[/quote]

What kind of diets have you done? Where these specifically made for you?

No and yes. I would go as far as fat loss takes 80% and 20% training. Lifestyle changes goes hand in hand with the training and nutrition/diet.

Fat loss takes time and I want you to not get frustrated when weight loss starts to stall etc.

But first give a little more information;
Experience with training:
Body Fat %:
Past diets:
Gym availability:

[quote]magic71 wrote:
Not magic pills but thanks for asking. Did that make you feel better about yourself big guy?
Sorry I was unclear about my wants…I was looking for feed back from people who’ve been where I am. Thanks in advanced to those who would like to actually help.[/quote]

He was trying to help, you just didn’t see it through the sarcasm. You’re on a forum with people who have strict diets and training regimens. You can’t come on here without telling us what you’re eating and what your doing for your training to make a change.

Here’s a start: use the search feature, eat less, do more cardio, and lift more weights. Other than that, we can’t help you with the information provided.

Seek Professional Help. Find a Qualified trainer who can get your training in line and get your diet in order.

There is one thing you can take comfort in. Human Physiology is consistent. If you eat right and exercise properly you WILL see Positive results.

PERIOD.

Get Right and Stay with it.

^^^ Every bit of that is great advice. You need to know where you’ve been, where you are, and what direction to move in. Once that’s in place, the only thing left to do is MOVE.

[quote]magic71 wrote:
I’m 5’8 230 [/quote]

Last year I was 240 and weak. This year, I’m 199. (and still weak, which is my current problem).

It’s doable. But progress isn’t visible quickly. You have to work hard at the diet, work hard at the exercise, and stick with it on faith until you see results.

I was at 250lb @ 6 feet. Currently 207lb trying to get to 195lb. Want to mention a few things:

-Give us an outline of your current diet and training.

-Don’t focus on being “ripped” just focus on getting to a healthy body fat level, you have to be lifting hard for at least a couple years to actually have muscle to uncover. That doesn’t mean you shouldn’t lift weights or you won’t gain muscle in the process

-Hell, I dropped a bunch of weight at the beginning of my weight loss attempt just doing an hour of cardio (heart rate in the 150BPM range) on the elliptical 5 times a week and got rid of anything absolutely horrible from my diet.

Been in your position. Was 5ft6 234lbs. Started training and got into power lifting but never focused on diet. I was pretty strong but balooned up to 268 spring 08. By last fall i was 250ish and stayed there to focus on strength. From feb 09-now I went from 254- 220. I still have a little gut but look much better. It can be done but takes time. For you I hate to say it but about a year.

Quick tips Lift seiously 3-5 days a week. this site has many plans find one you like and stick with it. Eliptical 5 days a week low intensity 30-40 min. No carbs at night. NO mean NONE.(too soon to talk about cheat days) Drop your calories but not too much the dropshould come from the excess carbs im ure you eat. Add at least 50g of protein a day. Take pics/stas now ans again in 3-4 months. We can help you a lot more once your put in some time and gained some expeience/ work ethic. Best of luck

I was 200kg (440lbs) and am 5’11", so I know what it is to be overweight. A year later I was 90kg (200lbs) and now, about 5 years later I’m 100kg @ 10%, so I look like I lift some weights and am fairly lean.

There is NO secret. I’ve experimented on myself, I’ve eaten super high carb, ketogenic, done the V-Diet twice, done Zone and so on. I’ve trained and run a marathon, I’ve run 100+km/wk for weeks on end (as well as all the building weeks to get there), I’ve ridden 100’s of k’s a week. I’ve done weights 3x a week and 6x a week … I’ve experimented with different gym regimes and focussed on high reps adn low reps, conditioning and strength.

In my experience as a former super fat boy, the diet you choose probably has about 10% effect, where as the calories in vs calories out has about 90% of the effect. You also need to do some work finding what your balance is, and while you can take the generic formulas as a guide, you NEED to track your food and activity level against weight loss/body composition to see what your numbers are. They’ll change over time too. It’s a constant feedback loop.

So, there isn’t any magic thing, no secrets, you just need more will power and less weakness and looking for the easy way out.

Some people get good genes for their mind, some their body, some athletics, whatever. Stop complaining and just work with what you have. I have shit genetics for weight loss, but good for building muscle and strength. In my experience getting under 10% really hurts me and I’ll get sick etc, but I’m smarter than most people and that’s my gift. I don’t complain, I work with what I have.

Stop looking for the easy way out. You had to ‘work’ to put the weight on, you’ll have to work about 3.853 times as hard to get it off :slight_smile:

[quote]ozzyaaron wrote:
I was 200kg (440lbs) and am 5’11", so I know what it is to be overweight. A year later I was 90kg (200lbs) and now, about 5 years later I’m 100kg @ 10%, so I look like I lift some weights and am fairly lean.

There is NO secret. I’ve experimented on myself, I’ve eaten super high carb, ketogenic, done the V-Diet twice, done Zone and so on. I’ve trained and run a marathon, I’ve run 100+km/wk for weeks on end (as well as all the building weeks to get there), I’ve ridden 100’s of k’s a week. I’ve done weights 3x a week and 6x a week … I’ve experimented with different gym regimes and focussed on high reps adn low reps, conditioning and strength.

In my experience as a former super fat boy, the diet you choose probably has about 10% effect, where as the calories in vs calories out has about 90% of the effect. You also need to do some work finding what your balance is, and while you can take the generic formulas as a guide, you NEED to track your food and activity level against weight loss/body composition to see what your numbers are. They’ll change over time too. It’s a constant feedback loop.

So, there isn’t any magic thing, no secrets, you just need more will power and less weakness and looking for the easy way out.

Some people get good genes for their mind, some their body, some athletics, whatever. Stop complaining and just work with what you have. I have shit genetics for weight loss, but good for building muscle and strength. In my experience getting under 10% really hurts me and I’ll get sick etc, but I’m smarter than most people and that’s my gift. I don’t complain, I work with what I have.

Stop looking for the easy way out. You had to ‘work’ to put the weight on, you’ll have to work about 3.853 times as hard to get it off :slight_smile: [/quote]

Jesus 440lb to 200lb in a year, that’s insane! Do you have pics, I am curious what such a drastic transformation looks like.

just bust your ass in the gym and TRACK your calories. in 2008 i weighed 270+ lbs, although i didn’t go about ti properly trying to lose it. i did a shit ton of cardio and eat like a bird but a year later i am walking around at 200-203 lbs at around 14% body fat. it can be done you just need to take the initiative and do it. everyone starts somewhere, this is a very good site to pick shit up from. it’s all up to you.

the magic pill is water btw…seriously.

most of this is good advice…keep your head up and KNOW you can change. Dont look to what others have done for YOUR solution. Find your own. Dont give yourself excuses and EXPECT to give nothing but your best effort. Ask yourself over and over “how bad do I want this?” especially when you are lifting/doing cardio, whatever and you hit the wall.

“If you do as you’ve always done, you’ll always get what you’ve always got”

A.Einstein

Its not going to be easy so dont expect it to be. But know that if you manage your nutrition (I did not say diet), you can keep the muscle mass you have and burn the fat off of you. Dont give up. Dont let the fat win, MAKE the muscle win. Did I forget to mention that it will not be easy? It will not be easy. But, its well worth the effort in the long run.

you won’t ever lose body fat if you don’t have your diet right. for most people that don’t actually count calories and keep an eye on their macronutrient breackdown, they tend to be eating way too much and way too much fast carbohydrates. read “The Zone” by Dr. Sears.

from my experience, diet is almost everything. you can use exercise to help augment fat loss if the diet is right, but if the diet is shit, no amount of exercise will do jack. and never go on extreme diets, ever, because they’re hard to maintain and once you’re off, you get right back to where you started. gluck

You should focus more on the part of habit formation and eating patterns than on the diet itself, research more about psychology than nutrition for some time, I hope it can help.