T Nation

Very High Blood Pressure on TRT


#1

Hi Everyone. I have been pushing off this issue for a while but realized it is very important to address.

I always had great blood pressure but since starting TRT (2 years ago) (I am 26 years old), my blood pressure has elevated substantially.

I am currently taking 180mg testosterone cyp and 250 IU HCG 2x a week and also .135mg anastrazole (arimidex) 2 times a week. I over respond to arimidex so that protocall puts my levels at

Testosterone: 915
Estrodial: 20

My systolic is around 140-170!!! Diastolic is good at around 70-80 I have no idea why testosterone did this. My cholesterol is amazing, diet is rich in veggies, low in sugar, high in lean protein. I exercise 5 days a week and am very muscular (225lbs, 8% body fat, 6'1). My diet really can't clean up so I'd like to get some extra advice on supplements to take and what to ask for on my blood test.

I am going to the doctor tomorrow so I will definitely have TSH checked to see if my thyroid is screwy and I'd like to get to the bottom of this issue.

I would appreciate any help or advice.


#2

I would suggest you have your Hematocrit and Hemoglobin levels checked. Either (if high) will cause your blood pressure to rise significantly. I had the same issue and the solution came through Therapeutic Phlebotomy and / or donating blood. My Hematocrit and hemoglobin dropped and consequently so did my BP. Good Luck.


#3

Thanks. My hemocrit is fine and I donate blood regularly. Any other suggestions anyone?

Any supplements?


#4

Omega 3 Fish oils…
several grams daily


#5

thanks mac, i do that

do you think it could be the arimidex jacking up bp?


#6

When was last time your had your e2 checked? Do you have any feeling of being more anxious than what your use to? The anxiety feeling can be slight or sizable. Increased sympathetic nervous system activity will cause your blood pressure to raise. One thing you try is take your blood pressure then take some extra anastrazole. You then wait an hour or two or more and take your blood pressure again. Does it go down?


#7

jb13 I only get anxiety when my E2 is too low. I am a major overresponder to anastrozole so if I take .25 at one time it pushes my E2 down to around 13 and I feel achey and get terrible anxiety.

My e2 at .125 twice a week cruises at about 22-24 which is optimal for me


#8

James

I get the same thing, elevated BP+heart rate 100+, insomnia. I thought originally that it is due to elevated norepinephrine, because I got panic attacks and insomnia at first. But it turned out that apparently it is due to high adrenaline. How did I find it? I measured fractionated catecholamines (LabCorp blood test), and it showed high epinephrine (aka adrenaline).

My explanation is - your testosterone is too high for you, it puts your adrenals into overdrive. Unfortunately I do not know how to knock adrenaline down. In my case it came down on its own. But one way to neutralize adrenaline action is beta blockers. Remember: they just block beta receptors from adrenaline action, they do not knock down adrenaline itself.


#9

[quote]JamesWhittaker wrote:
jb13 I only get anxiety when my E2 is too low. I am a major overresponder to anastrozole so if I take .25 at one time it pushes my E2 down to around 13 and I feel achey and get terrible anxiety.

My e2 at .125 twice a week cruises at about 22-24 which is optimal for me[/quote]

O I bet you would get anxiety too if your E2 is high. :slight_smile:


#10

[quote]Kwn wrote:
James

I get the same thing, elevated BP+heart rate 100+, insomnia. I thought originally that it is due to elevated norepinephrine, because I got panic attacks and insomnia at first. But it turned out that apparently it is due to high adrenaline. How did I find it? I measured fractionated catecholamines (LabCorp blood test), and it showed high epinephrine (aka adrenaline).

My explanation is - your testosterone is too high for you, it puts your adrenals into overdrive. Unfortunately I do not know how to knock adrenaline down. In my case it came down on its own. But one way to neutralize adrenaline action is beta blockers. Remember: they just block beta receptors from adrenaline action, they do not knock down adrenaline itself.[/quote]

Thats very interesting, thanks for sharing. The only reason I am on testosterone in the first place is that I used to suffer TERRIBLE insomnia and finally measured cortisol and over the period of 5 tests it was always between 32-36 on a scale of 2-17. Keep in mind I am very successful and not stressed about anything at all. It is naturally occurring. Testosterone has lowered cortisol between 5-9 and I sleep like a champ now!! I will definitely get fractionated catecholamines measured on my next blood test. Thanks for the insight


#11

[quote]jb13 wrote:

[quote]JamesWhittaker wrote:
jb13 I only get anxiety when my E2 is too low. I am a major overresponder to anastrozole so if I take .25 at one time it pushes my E2 down to around 13 and I feel achey and get terrible anxiety.

My e2 at .125 twice a week cruises at about 22-24 which is optimal for me[/quote]

O I bet you would get anxiety too if your E2 is high. :slight_smile: [/quote]

O I definitely do. I just usually don’t have it high. I have never tested high since starting TRT but I can feel it if I take a couple shots with HCG without anastrozole. In that case I feel terrible


#12

Is anastrzole (arimidex) known to create hyptertension?


#13

Not that I’m aware of. I’d recommend you get some blood test done to make sure your test, e2, hematocrit are still at reasonable levels. Long term high blood pressure is not something to ignore.